Taito has a new mini-arcade cabinet on the way with a rotating screen...

Ghost_MH

• 8 months later...

There are some early hands on reviews for the system due to western release being handled by Strictly Limited Games. You can tell because the units all have blue buttons (Units in japan have pink buttons).

The japanese release is next week March 2nd (i've got my pre-order locked). The limited US/EU release is in may.

• 5 months later...

So some new updates on this system.

1. It's getting a firmware update on monday. (open Spoiler for full list of changes)

https://taito.co.jp/mob/topics/25463

Spoiler

Contents of the main unit update

○ Game adjustments

• All 50 titles have been adjusted.
    * "Arkanoid" and "Arkanoid Revenge of DOH" have been adjusted, including their controls.

○ Display adjustment

• Changed the aspect ratio of all 50 titles on the screen display to 4:3. (Currently conforms to board resolution)
  • The aspect ratio of all 50 titles has been changed to 4:3 for screen display via HDMI output.
  • Lowered the wallpaper resolution of some titles.

○ Bug fixes

• Fixed an issue with the clear bonus for "Quix".
  • Fixed the color loss of the character "Rodomie" in "Fairyland Story".
  • Fixed a bug that the comet was not redrawn for "Harley's Comet".
  • Fixed a bug where the bomber image on the 2P side of "Ultimate Tiger" was distorted.
  • Fixed the background color of the score ranking screen for "Tatsujin".
  • Fixed a bug where the image of the audience in the bonus stage of "Violence Fight" was broken.
  • Fixed "Rayforce" to display the shadows of buildings in AREA 4.
  • For "Camel Try", the BGM when clearing all stages has been adjusted.

○ Specification change

• Changed so that all 50 titles are displayed on the top menu when a paddle & trackball is connected.
    *If you insert an SD card, only 10 titles will be displayed as before.

Notes on updating

• Please update the main unit according to the procedure posted on the official website on Monday, September 5th.
  • A commercially available SD card is required for the update.
    • SD card type: SDHC, capacity 2GB to 32GB (other than those on the left cannot be used)
    • Set the file system to "FAT32".
    • The remaining capacity of the SD card must be 512MB or more.
    • A micro SDHC card can also be used, but in that case, insert it into the dedicated SD conversion adapter.
  • Please note that it is not possible to return to the original version after executing the system update.
  • Even if you do not update the main unit, you can still play as before.

Contents of the main unit update

○ Game adjustments

• All 50 titles have been adjusted.
    * "Arkanoid" and "Arkanoid Revenge of DOH" have been adjusted, including their controls.
  •  

○ Display adjustment

• Changed the aspect ratio of all 50 titles on the screen display to 4:3. (Currently conforms to board resolution)
  • The aspect ratio of all 50 titles has been changed to 4:3 for screen display via HDMI output.
  • Lowered the wallpaper resolution of some titles.
  •  

○ Bug fixes

• Fixed an issue with the clear bonus for "Quix".
  • Fixed the color loss of the character "Rodomie" in "Fairyland Story".
  • Fixed a bug that the comet was not redrawn for "Harley's Comet".
  • Fixed a bug where the bomber image on the 2P side of "Ultimate Tiger" was distorted.
  • Fixed the background color of the score ranking screen for "Tatsujin".
  • Fixed a bug where the image of the audience in the bonus stage of "Violence Fight" was broken.
  • Fixed "Rayforce" to display the shadows of buildings in AREA 4.
  • For "Camel Try", the BGM when clearing all stages has been adjusted.
  •  

○ Specification change

• Changed so that all 50 titles are displayed on the top menu when a paddle & trackball is connected.
    *If you insert an SD card, only 10 titles will be displayed as before.
  • Notes on updating

• Please update the main unit according to the procedure posted on the official website on Monday, September 5th.
  • A commercially available SD card is required for the update.
    • SD card type: SDHC, capacity 2GB to 32GB (other than those on the left cannot be used)
    • Set the file system to "FAT32".
    • The remaining capacity of the SD card must be 512MB or more.
    • A micro SDHC card can also be used, but in that case, insert it into the dedicated SD conversion adapter.
  • Please note that it is not possible to return to the original version after executing the system update.
  • Even if you do not update the main unit, you can still play as before.

2. They are releasing 'Arcade Memories Vol.1' at the end of the year. It will include an SD card with 10 more games, mini marquee cards and art book. Pre-orders will go live on amazon in the near future till end of september. They will be made in limited quantity but Taito notes that if they do well they will do a Volume 2.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0BCG6M28W/?coliid=I2GKI9RY44Y3Z6&colid=109GU11TK0ROW&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The game list:

- Cleopatra Fortune
- Gekirindan
- Light Bringer
- Riding Fight
- Grid Seeker
- PuLiRuLa
- Daisenpuu (Twin Hawk)
- Slap Fight
- Ougon no Shiro (Gladiator)
- Great Swordsman

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2022 at 11:34 PM, X-pert74 said:

I'm kinda more interested in the trackball/spinner controller than I am the actual mini-arcade machine itself :p I wish it was available separately for cheaper...

If you just wanted the controller I would probably hold out if hori releases the controller they showed off a while back. I enjoy having the taito one but I wouldn't consider it solid/perfect, it works ok for what it is.

Another option might be to see if Taito puts more out for sale when the arcade memories vol 1 hits in december.