Korn's influence on modern metal

I've been listening to a lot of Bring Me the Horizon, Architects, and Spiritbox recently, and it got me thinking that all of those bands basically sound like Meteora by Linkin Park if you tuned it to drop-Z and added breakdowns.

That got me thinking about Korn, because I feel like Korn, Anthrax, and Rage against the machine were kind of the architects of the nu-metal/modern metalcore sound, so I listened to Freak on a Leash, and in many ways it is like djent a couple decades before that was a thing.

"6 string guitars? No, not enough bass. More strings. Also let's drop tune the bass because we still need more bass. We'll balance out the bass with ethereal picky high pitched lead melodies with so much reverb and effects it doesn't even sound like anything anymore. Except for once the breakdown hits, then it's all bass in your face, then over to modified chorus. Perfect."

That formula is basically all modern metal.

I feel like all modern popular metal is like if you hired Meshuggah to make a Linkin Park cover album, and then I'm like... That actually describes Korn pretty accurately. Korn was proto-djent, in a way.

30 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

That formula is basically all modern metal.

30 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I feel like all modern popular metal is like if you hired Meshuggah to make a Linkin Park

Not sure where you are getting this from, it maybe in what you listen to which if fine but its not remotely even true. I picked 3 websites best of 20 albums off of google

img-441.jpg
WWW.POPMATTERS.COM

20. Black Curse - Endless Wound (Sepulchral Voice) In 2015 members of acclaimed acts Primitive Man, Khemmis, and Blood Incantation discussed their love f

EVLaL5Qs6zC5ZJWms7JyVG-1200-80.jpg
WWW.LOUDERSOUND.COM

2020 might have been a write off on most fronts, but it least it had an epic soundtrack

260437-forgotten-days.jpg
WWW.ALBUMOFTHEYEAR.ORG

Pitchfork's Best Metal Albums of 2020. View reviews, ratings, news & more regarding your favorite band.

Outside of the Deftones which is very obvious , there is nothing.

49 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Not sure where you are getting this from, it maybe in what you listen to which if fine but its not remotely even true. I picked 3 websites best of 20 albums off of google

img-441.jpg
WWW.POPMATTERS.COM

20. Black Curse - Endless Wound (Sepulchral Voice) In 2015 members of acclaimed acts Primitive Man, Khemmis, and Blood Incantation discussed their love f

EVLaL5Qs6zC5ZJWms7JyVG-1200-80.jpg
WWW.LOUDERSOUND.COM

2020 might have been a write off on most fronts, but it least it had an epic soundtrack

260437-forgotten-days.jpg
WWW.ALBUMOFTHEYEAR.ORG

Pitchfork's Best Metal Albums of 2020. View reviews, ratings, news & more regarding your favorite band.

Outside of the Deftones which is very obvious , there is nothing.

I'm thinking more of the "architects-core" sound, which to my knowledge is the most popular among new bands

It's hard to make blanket statements like these and label them "modern metal"

Like modern metal as in all djent bands? Meshuggah predates Korn by a good  3 years which I would say is more influential on the sound than Korn is. Heck you even bring up Anthrax  out of the blue who were around 10 years before Korn was around.

If anything (for me) modern metal feels like they've been chasing that Alcest sound since 2010. So many blackgaze bands these days.

12 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm thinking more of the "architects-core" sound, which to my knowledge is the most popular among new bands

Again no. For every 1 band that has that sound I can name 10 that do not.

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's hard to make blanket statements like these and label them "modern metal"

Like modern metal as in all djent bands? Meshuggah predates Korn by a good  3 years which I would say is more influential on the sound than Korn is. Heck you even bring up Anthrax  out of the blue who were around 10 years before Korn was around.

If anything (for me) modern metal feels like they've been chasing that Alcest sound since 2010. So many blackgaze bands these days.

Categorizing Modern Metal is an impossible task. Crypt Sermon is nothing like Gatecreeper which is nothing like Ancst which nothing like Primitive Man. 

• Thanks 1