Alamo Drafthouse theatre chain files for Chapter 11, sells itself to Altamont Capital, Fortress Investment

hlk_ritz_43_1050_591_81_s_c1.jpg
DRAFTHOUSE.COM

We say goodbye to our downtown Austin location.

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, the Texas-based theater chain that has become a favorite with cinephiles for its dine-in service and fan-forward approach to exhibition, has filed for Chapter 11. The bankruptcy filing comes as part of an asset purchase agreement with Altamont Capital Partners, a previous investor in the company, as well as affiliates of Fortress Investment Group, a new backer. The company says that operations will continue as normal and the Chapter 11 process and sale will give it the capital it needs to continue operating as it emerges from a public health crisis that left many of its locations closed for months. The agreement involves “the sale of substantially all its assets.”

Founder Tim League will remain involved with the company and is among the lender group buying the assets. League became the company’s executive chairman in April, with Shelli Taylor, a former Starbucks executive, assuming the role of CEO. Alamo Drafthouse runs roughly 40 locations and is headquartered in Austin, Texas.

• Sad 1

• CitizenVectron changed the title to Alamo Drafthouse theatre chain files for Chapter 11, sells itself to Altamont Capital, Fortress Investment

I just realized that one of the closing locations for Alamo Drafthouse is is the New Braunfels location. My connection to that site is back when I opened my original theater around 2012, I purchase seats, screens, speakers, and popcorn machines from the theater that was there before Alamo took it over and completely remodeled the whole thing. The screen, speakers, and popcorn machine are still in my little indoor theater :)