Google allowing advertisers to exclude non-binary people from seeing job ads

I hate to defend Google here, but this sounds like an oversight on their part, not something malicious. I know with Google, you can choose your target demographic for ads. Looks like if you leave the sex target as blank, it hits everyone. If you choose men, it'll hit men and the same with women. However, if you choose men and women, it'll hit men and women but won't hit anyone Google doesn't have sex info on. That is whether you told Google you were neither or whether you didn't tell Google and Google couldn't figure it out on their own.

Sounds like Google is just changing their algorithm to always include unknown if you're trying to target either male, female, or both with your ads.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

I hate to defend Google here, but this sounds like an oversight on their part, not something malicious. I know with Google, you can choose your target demographic for ads. Looks like if you leave the sex target as blank, it hits everyone. If you choose men, it'll hit men and the same with women. However, if you choose men and women, it'll hit men and women but won't hit anyone Google doesn't have sex info on. That is whether you told Google you were neither or whether you didn't tell Google and Google couldn't figure it out on their own.

Sounds like Google is just changing their algorithm to always include unknown if you're trying to target either male, female, or both with your ads.

It's definitely a case of an oversight, not acting maliciously. However, in a company that large, there should be more diversity at higher levels to point this stuff out. The tech industry has a real issue of repeatedly viewing things through the eyes of thirty-year old white men.

Or, to put it a different way:

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's definitely a case of an oversight, not acting maliciously. However, in a company that large, there should be more diversity at higher levels to point this stuff out. The tech industry has a real issue of repeatedly viewing things through the eyes of thirty-year old white men.

Or, to put it a different way:

Oh, I completely agree. This is just a whole different scenario than where at Facebook this would happen and upper management would be like "that's fine". Something that literally happened when employees noticed Facebook had advertising demographics like white nationalist and Nazi.