Geometry Wars 2... Ugh

5timechamp

2 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Is 2 the best one?  I have the first one and the third one for some reason, but skipped 2 and I think I've heard it's the best of the three.

I personally think 2 is the best one. GW3 is alright but the 3D limits your view and that kinda defeats the purpose.

4 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

evolved... I shudder to think what I would do on Retro..

alright. I downloaded and did a single run on evolved. Final score was around 8.89M. I didn't bother trying again because it's tradition that my first match in GW will always be the best and it's all just downhill after that.

17 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Is 2 the best one?  I have the first one and the third one for some reason, but skipped 2 and I think I've heard it's the best of the three.

15 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I personally think 2 is the best one. GW3 is alright but the 3D limits your view and that kinda defeats the purpose.

I would say it depends on what you are looking for in a twin-stick shooter.

Geo Wars 2 is best if you are looking for a handful of masterfully crafted modes that are probably the pinnacle of the genre as far as "one more round" to reach a high score. If there is a twin-stick shooter out there with better controls, I have not played it. After having played it for more than a decade I still load it up to get some rounds of Pacifism in.

Geo Wars 3 is much better if you are the type of person that likes a campaign mode in your twin-stick shooter. I personally am more of a high score kind of fan, but as far as campaigns go, it's one of the better choices in the genre.

For comparison, Geo Wars 2 has a sort of campaign mode in Sequence, but it pales in comparison to Geo Wars 3's Adventure mode.

On the flip side, Geo Wars 3 ostensibly has all the modes of Geo Wars 2 in it's "Classic" section but, and I can not stress this enough, they fucked up the conversion and they do not play nearly as well. The controls and enemy behavior/placement have been altered. Deaths now feel like dumb luck instead of skill. My high score for Pacifism on GW2 is 688,000,000 and on GW3 it is about 150,000,000.

I would definitely recommend GW2 if you enjoyed GW1. It plays more like the original than it does GW3. It is basically the Evolved mode from GW1, plus a few more modes that have just as much depth of play. As I said, Pacifism is a personal favorite of mine. It's the very definition of "5 minutes to learn, a lifetime to master" type game. 

3 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

On the flip side, Geo Wars 3 ostensibly has all the modes of Geo Wars 2 in it's "Classic" section but, and I can not stress this enough, they fucked up the conversion and they do not play nearly as well. The controls and enemy behavior/placement have been altered. Deaths now feel like dumb luck instead of skill. My high score for Pacifism on GW2 is 688,000,000 and on GW3 it is about 150,000,000.

Yep. I bought GW3 day one because I was a huge GW2 fan. GW3 had all the modes that the previous one had, but something just felt "off." I ended up only playing the campaign for GW3 and went back to GW2 for everything else.