Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Pikachu

Return to adventure in Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition on October 15, 2020

Celebrate one of the most beloved real-time strategy franchises with stunning 4K Ultra HD graphics, a fully remastered soundtrack, two new game modes, including all expansions and all 14 civilizations, plus two brand new civilizations – the Swedes and Inca.

Pre-order now on Windows 10 or Steam, or pre-install with Xbox Game Pass for PC

The final remaster for Age of Empires before we finally get Age of Empires IV by Relic Entertainment and World's Edge. Microsoft really followed a plan with reviving this series by doing remasters of the whole series before dropping the fourth game. 

This remaster, by comparison, is being done by Forgotten Empires studio, who did the definitive editions for Age of Empires I and Age of Empires II, which is a good sign. They are getting backup from Tantalus Media, who helped them with Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition as well. Obviously these definitive editions are supervised by World's Edge as well.

• 1 month later...

Game Information

Game Title: Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition

Platforms:

• PC (Oct 15, 2020)

Developers: Tantalus Media, Forgotten Empires

Publisher: Xbox Game Studios

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 79 average - 65% recommended

Critic Reviews

Saving Content - 5 / 5 stars

The future of Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition is brimming with possibilities in its scenario editor, mod support, and upcoming updates thanks to Tantalus Media and Forgotten Empires. This is a game that stands tall next to Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. The trilogy is now complete, containing hundreds of hours for new and old players to enjoy, with the original trilogy ending on a high note in this release. Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition re-establishes its rightful place in the series, completing the remastered trilogy of RTS excellence.

Atomix - Spanish - 90 / 100

The work tantalums Media and Forgotten Empires have done is impressive. Not only do they manage to capture the essence of the original work, but somehow give us a title that more closely resembles the memories we have than the original game. Every visual and sound aspect is exactly as we remember it, even if our memory sometimes sold us an experience somewhat away from reality.

Windows Central - 4.5 / 5 stars

Smart and much-needed changes bring Age of Empires III to a new level, providing a quality strategy experience newcomers and lifelong fans are both likely to enjoy.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 8.7 / 10

The classic RTS returns with a face wash that shows us its graphic boost.

Gamerheadquarters - 8.6 / 10

Age of Empires 3: Definitive Edition is a great RTS experience that delivers a well rounded package with the upgrades and modes you would expect.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition is a package with clear and eloquent perspectives. It is a generous reproposition, in which functional filings intersect in the management of playful mechanics and an important aesthetic modernization. The solidity of the transaction is crowned by important content additions, which extend an already powerful offer.

God is a Geek - 8.5 / 10

Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition is a great remake, packing in loads of new content and addressing some issues that other developers might simply have swept under the rug.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8.5 / 10

Still unique RTS is back with improved graphics, rich content and new complements. The Only  disappointment is poor AI.

Wccftech - 8.5 / 10

Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition is an undeniable and great improvement on the original. Featuring a huge amount of content, including some brand-new game modes, as well as a revamped and improved portion of the original campaign, there's a lot on offer. The AI is improved, though does have a few niggles here and there. Particularly so with pathfinding. This issue is overwhelmed by the amount of content on offer, great improvements to the aesthetics of the game, improvements to multiplayer as well as changes to the home city system outside of the campaign. While not as outright fantastic as Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition, this is still a brilliant release and comes in at a very low price.

XboxEra - 8.2 / 10

While maybe a slightly unneccesary remaster, it has been a very pleasant one to play. With this remaster Age of Empires III can proudly stand next to the other games in the franchise.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition is a fantastic job of remastering and enhancing the original. Graphics, historical representation, gameplay ... Only some problems in the AI take us back to ancient times.

Screen Rant - 4 / 5 stars

It's not a complete overhaul like other recent remakes, but with a new Age of Empires game to release in the future, it's more than enough to get players old and new on board with Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition.

SomosXbox - Spanish - 8 / 10

Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition complies, because it is known to be a remaster. But it goes further, because it adds new features, options and game modes. This is why a bittersweet taste may remain because more could have been done, because the source of a remastering is also the limit to improvement. But for RTS and Age of Empires fans, that's what it took to wait for Age of Empires IV.

Total Gaming Network - 4 / 5 stars

There are certainly some areas of the game that could have used a bit more polish in this release, but I believe that fans of the franchise, especially fans the original Age of Empires III, will very much enjoy what is being offered here.

GamingTrend - 75 / 100

Microsoft has finally brought Age of Empires 3 out of the dark ages and fans are able to return to the game that they know and love. There's a lot of quality of life changes to be found with the Definitive Edition, but at the same time there's essentially the same amount of content to be experienced. Returning players may find that they're effectively paying for a 15 year old game, but are now able to view it in 4K.

IGN Italy - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Not the best in the series but still fun and engaging, that comes with a few new gameplay modes, two civilizations and restored graphics.

Hardcore Gamer - 3.5 / 5

Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition is the remaster the game deserves.

PCGamesN - 7 / 10

It ticks all the boxes it promised to, but feels like it could've gone further with improvements to gameplay, home cities for new civs, and AI.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7 / 10

We hope that Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition is the last step towards the fourth chapter, but this farewell has not a sad taste.

Twinfinite - 3.5 / 5

That being said, Age of Empires III Definitive Edition is a fantastic trip down memory lane, and the goosebumps I felt hearing that title theme again were very real. But without that nostalgia factor driving you onward, I just wonder how a player completely new to the series would fare.

Player2.net.au - A-

The odd-ball of the AoE family is back and is better than ever. This remake won’t change the minds of people who didn’t like it upon its original release, but it does celebrate an RTS that dared to try something new.

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition - reviews from OpenCritic posted

What I will never understand is how some critics refer to AOE3 as the worst of the series. Have these people ever played AOE1? Perhaps they are judging it primarily on the single player experience not multiplayer like I am.

I know I'm not in the mainstream, but I like AOE3 multiplayer better than AOE2 by a little.  AOE2: DE is so well done too. I've put 60+ hours in multiplayer so far. I have AOE3:DE preloaded and I'm looking forward to it.

These Definitive Editions have been a nice gift to fans of RTS and have been put together in a polished way unlike Warcraft 3 Reforged, the biggest disappointment in Blizzard history.