Can you move Nintendo Switch games freely ?

BuckFly

I'll make a long story short...I know (or I believe) that if I have a Nintendo Switch game on my 32GB internal HD I can move to a 128 GB micro SD inserted in my Switch, and vice versa.

However, what if I have a game or various files that are larger than the 32GB internal HD or if I want a larger capacity micro SD?  

Can I move what I have on my 128GB hard drive, say to my computer and then switch (no pun intended) it to a new 256GB micro SD?

Again, we are not talking copying, just moving...or does Nintendo poo-poo on all this?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and comments.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

You can redownload onto the new card and swap the cards back and forth but you can’t just transfer from one card to another using a pc or whatever. All your saves are stored on the system.

Stepee, thank you.  

So even though I have it on another card I can re-download on a new card, but it will only work with my switch and my saves, is what I am gathering from your response.  

If so that is fine.

I have an unused 128, but was thinking about getting a 256, especially with the eshop sale going on right now.

Again, thank you.

41 minutes ago, BuckFly said:

Stepee, thank you.  

So even though I have it on another card I can re-download on a new card, but it will only work with my switch and my saves, is what I am gathering from your response.  

If so that is fine.

I have an unused 128, but was thinking about getting a 256, especially with the eshop sale going on right now.

Again, thank you.

Yep, that is correct. I have two 400gb cards I swap between. The only problems with their policy is A) having to redownload B) the cards have to be formatted and  everything has to be redownload if you want to use the card on another switch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Yep, that is correct. I have two 400gb cards I swap between. The only problems with their policy is A) having to redownload B) the cards have to be formatted and  everything has to be redownload if you want to use the card on another switch.

Stepee, thank you again, and I am sorry as I have one more thing...and this is an opinion request even though I see what you have with the 400GBs:

I am not necessarily going to be that active, but do you think I should just go ahead and start loading up with the blank 128GB, or what the hell, just bite it, grab the 256, as it will lengthen my space capacity in the long run, and avoid having to recopy because of the 128GB?

EDIT:  In short, get the biggest HD drive I'm willing to pay for now?

EDIT 2:  Hmmm...400GB isn't that much more, is it.

Eshop downloads are slowww so I would go with what you reasonably think you will fill up just so you never have to worry/think about it. If you think you’ll eventually go over, then just bite the bullet now since it’s not that much for a 256. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Eshop downloads are slowww so I would go with what you reasonably think you will fill up just so you never have to worry/think about it. If you think you’ll eventually go over, then just bite the bullet now since it’s not that much for a 256. 

Thank you.  Honestly, Stepee, I know it seems like a simple concept, but you helped me a great deal.

EDIT:  Think I am pulling the trigger on the 400 as it is only $19 more than the 256 and should last me...hell, for a long time.

:hug:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuckFly said:

Thank you.  Honestly, Stepee, I know it seems like a simple concept, but you helped me a great deal.

EDIT:  Think I am pulling the trigger on the 400 as it is only $19 more than the 256 and should last me...hell, for a long time.

:hug:

I had a 128 for the longest time and thought that was plenty, but then I never really bought many eshop games....them somewhere around June or July I decided to check out the 'deals' section and since then I seem to be buying games at an insane rate. The 128 was filling fast so I switch to a 256 and have basically maxed that out as well, having had to delete more than a few games. So definitely snag the biggest one you are comfortable buying. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I had a 128 for the longest time and thought that was plenty, but then I never really bought many eshop games....them somewhere around June or July I decided to check out the 'deals' section and since then I seem to be buying games at an insane rate. The 128 was filling fast so I switch to a 256 and have basically maxed that out as well, having had to delete more than a few games. So definitely snag the biggest one you are comfortable buying. 

@stepee

Thank you, because, ED, being 100% honest with you...it is the eshop games that are my primary focus.  

Side Note:  I had not played my launch Switch in forever.  I had 128 GB HD, Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart...wanted to play with my young daughter, amongst other games on the Switch, and get back into it.

...gone...just simply...gone.  tore the house apart.  up and down.  no where.  everything was gone and I still have no explanation why it wasn't where it should be.

Also during a global dearth of the system.   Availability of systems for sale would last, what...10 minutes?  and at outrageous prices.

I was up early one morning and got in on a reasonable deal with GS, which included the shield (which I didn't use their brand) and Mario Kart.

Trying to get my small library and set-up, back up right now.

...and to my dying days I will wonder what happened to my old switch and the $700 or so total investment I had with it.

20 hours ago, stepee said:

That’s rough - I’ll admit, I’m part of the problem with the stock, I totally sold my og switch for above cost on ebay because of the stock issues. I had already switched to my lite as my main switch and used it to buy an oculus quest! 

Sweet!

...and not even remotely part of the problem.

COVID says, "stepee, no worries, Brah.  I got this."

;)