Does anyone have a good understanding of how Minecraft crossplay works / can you explain it to me??

Paperclyp

So I have fallen down a Minecraft hole on my Switch.

The short story is I want to be able to go back and forth between my PC and Switch to play Minecraft in a game I have started on my Switch. I was unaware of the free upgrade to the bedrock version that ended back in the spring, so I only have the Java version on PC. What I'm wondering is if I buy the bedrock PC version, what am I able to do with just the base game on both the Switch and PC? Can I freely play the same world at my leisure on either machine? If I want to play on my PC, would I have to have the switch on so I could link locally - and then does it run into issues because it doesn't like that I'm trying to play at the same time on two different machines but with the same "account" (not sure if that will make sense lol). Am I required to buy the cheaper realm to make it all play nice? 

I am willing to pay the 25 bucks or whatever for the PC version I need, but they don't make it particularly clear how it all works...

From searching a little more into it, best I can tell is I'll need Realms to do what I want to do. Not sure I'm willing to drop 26 bucks on a game I already own on PC to buy another PC version then pay a monthly fee. 

Frankly Minecraft pisses me off a little bit? What other fucking game would get away with shit like this? 

2 hours ago, Nokt said:

There is server hosting available for bedrock edition, however it isn't available for the switch due to "console restrictions".

Well not without some tweaking https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/cgzwcl/guide_to_minecraft_bedrock_dedicated_server_for/

This is a separate sort of setup than what I was referencing before, yes? Like setting up a sever of your own vs paying for essentially minecraft to host the server? 

14 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

This is a separate sort of setup than what I was referencing before, yes? Like setting up a sever of your own vs paying for essentially minecraft to host the server? 

Correct, Realms are paid, servers are not. 
I haven’t tried the bedrock (console/win10 edition) server program, but the Java edition (original PC) was pretty simple to set up in the past.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

My main objective is to be able to play my pc in the basement and the switch in my bedroom. Vain but since it is possible I just want the cheapest and easiest solution lol. 

I have had a similar problem wanting to play my world on PS4 and mobile. 

My main world is one I have worked on for 3+ years on my PS4, but sometimes it's nice to relax and do smaller stuff on the phone.

I am in an even worse situation because PS4 Bedrock doesn't even support Realms yet.

What I found the easiest thing for me to do is if I want to play on my phone I just run the game on my PS4 like a server and connect directly like a Lan game using the same router. Since I often like to afk at farms this works out anyway.

It sounds like your game save is on the wrong system for you, though. You would probably prefer to run the PC like a server and connect with the Switch. I believe there are third party apps that allow you to transfer saves from system to system, but I couldn't get any of them to work.

If you want to do this, though, you can do the Realms free trial. You can upload your Switch world into a Realm, then download it to the Windows 10 Bedrock and then it will play like any other offline game save you have.

This is all a little complicated, so if something I said didn't make sense feel free to ask me to clarify. The solution I found is passible but not ideal because one version is always reliant on the other running as well, or you have to pay for Realms and be online if you want to go that route.

9 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

My main objective is to be able to play my pc in the basement and the switch in my bedroom. Vain but since it is possible I just want the cheapest and easiest solution lol. 

The reddit post I linked would be the cheapest, but I don't even know what they are really asking you to do to set it up.

The bedrock server program is in early development stages so maybe in the future they might add switch compatibility?

Realms is the easiest by far, but also the most expensive.