Report of Superman’s Demise Have Been Greatly Exagerrated

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

ive never seen the extended cut. But I was so confused when I heard Black Freighter was added but the squid/alien ending wasn’t. Like...what’s the point then? Haha

Ironically, up until recently, I thought the ONE change Snyder made from the comics in the movie that was for the better was the ending and getting rid of the squid... until the Watchmen HBO series showed that a talented writer can make ANYTHING work.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ironically, up until recently, I thought the ONE change Snyder made from the comics in the movie that was for the better was the ending and getting rid of the squid... until the Watchmen HBO series showed that a talented writer can make ANYTHING work.

Really? I understood that making Manhattan the universal threat technically still kept the story true to the original theme. But for some reason, and it’s been so long since I’ve watched it I really can’t remember why I thought this, I thought it didn’t make as much sense as the original alien ending. 

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Really? I understood that making Manhattan the universal threat technically still kept the story true to the original theme. But for some reason, and it’s been so long since I’ve watched it I really can’t remember why I thought this, I thought it didn’t make as much sense as the original alien ending. 

I think that at the time the rationale was that the alien squid thing was too hokey and unbelievable and that making Manhattan the threat made sense and was a practical solution. The Watchmen TV show showed that not only was the change from the squid unnecessary, it weakened the story and mythology. Now the Watchmen movie comes across as expensive fan fiction compared to the HBO show which seems to be a TRUE sequel.

I assume that the squid ending was deemed too goofy, or something, for the movie. But the Manhattan ending doesn't really make a ton of sense either... both the comic and the movie establish that Manhattan is a uniquely American deterrent... the notion that the world would join together with the US just because American cities were also blasted by him seems pretty thin.

Then again the squid ending doesn't necessarily hold up with everything that's happened in the world since Watchem originally came out so... whatever. :p

5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I assume that the squid ending was deemed too goofy, or something, for the movie. But the Manhattan ending doesn't really make a ton of sense either... both the comic and the movie establish that Manhattan is a uniquely American deterrent... the notion that the world would join together with the US just because American cities were also blasted by him seems pretty thin.

Then again the squid ending doesn't necessarily hold up with everything that's happened in the world since Watchem originally came out so... whatever. :p

That's what makes the HBO series so effective as a sequel because it addresses exactly that. Ozmandias' "squid storms" served as a reminder to the world that the "threat" was still there and kept the world United... which led to a rise in the right wing extremism and corporate fascism that are the central threats in the series. HBO's series made the squid ending STRONGER for me with how it treated the aftermath 30 years later. It also made the movie's Manhattan ending make even less sense than it did in the film in retrospect. 

On 6/2/2020 at 8:51 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

That's what makes the HBO series so effective as a sequel because it addresses exactly that. Ozmandias' "squid storms" served as a reminder to the world that the "threat" was still there and kept the world United... which led to a rise in the right wing extremism and corporate fascism that are the central threats in the series. HBO's series made the squid ending STRONGER for me with how it treated the aftermath 30 years later. It also made the movie's Manhattan ending make even less sense than it did in the film in retrospect. 

In related news, I re-read Watchmen recently, and just finished it last night. I forgot how "fast" the ending is. After 11.75 books of slow burn it's like 6 pages of, "we all agree to never discuss this again right?" "yah" *Rorschach explodes.* 

• Haha 1