Report of Superman’s Demise Have Been Greatly Exagerrated

Or, Superman Lives Again... Maybe

Henry Cavill isn’t hanging up his Superman cape just yet. Sources confirm to Variety the “Man of Steel” actor is in talks to return as Clark Kent in an upcoming DC Comics movie. Warner Bros. and Cavill’s reps couldn’t be reached for comment Wednesday. In addition to Zack Snyder’s Superman origin story “Man of Steel” in 2013, Cavill played the iconic hero in 2016’s “Batman v Superman” and 2017’s “Justice League.”

Snyder recently announced the long-rumored “Snyder Cut” of “Justice League” for HBO Max, though insiders tell Variety Cavill wouldn’t be suiting up for the director’s cut, but rather a cameo in one of DC’s upcoming films, which include “Aquaman 2,” “The Suicide Squad” and “The Batman.”

In a Mens’ Health’s December cover story, Cavill revealed he had not given up the role.

“The cape is still in the closet,” he said. “It’s still mine. I’m not going to sit quietly in the dark as all the stuff is going on. I’ve not given up the role. There’s a lot I have to give for Superman yet. A lot of storytelling to do. A lot of real, true depths to the honesty of the character I want to get into. I want to reflect the comic books. That’s important to me. There’s a lot of justice to be done for Superman. The status is: You’ll see.”

I'd like to give him another chance with an actually good writer/director for a Superman movie. He seems quite charming in real life (he is British after all), so I think with the right movie he could pull off a good Superman that's a bright beacon of hope like he is in the comics. 

I never bothered seeing Justice League, but CGI moustache aside, weren't the parts that's he's in clearly directed by Whedon because Superman isn't such a grouch (aside from when he first wakes up I believe), and does show more of that classic Superman charm, and people thought it was good? 

3 hours ago, johnny said:

I’d be interested to see Cavill as Superman in a non-Snyder Man of Steel 2 

He's been trying to get Man of Steel 2 going for a while now and he was very happy working with Christopher McQuarrie and they were trying to pitch something to WB and they passed so Cavill went to do Witcher instead. 

WB is so stupid.

12 hours ago, Brick said:

I never bothered seeing Justice League, but CGI moustache aside, weren't the parts that's he's in clearly directed by Whedon because Superman isn't such a grouch (aside from when he first wakes up I believe), and does show more of that classic Superman charm, and people thought it was good? 

Correct.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I will say that the one thing Justice League got right was it's portrayal of Cavil's Superman. Confident, funny and fundamentally good. I chalk all of that up to Joss Wheadon's rewrites to be honest.

I agree completely.

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Just stopped by the remind everyone that Man of Steel is awesome 

It is. 

10 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Just stopped by the remind everyone that Man of Steel is awesome 

Man of steel is the one of the worst mainstream movies I’ve ever seen.  It’s baffling that any part of that movie was green lit.  It starts with a prog rock album cover wet dream where aliens don’t fuck and then somehow makes even less ensue after that.

13 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Man of steel is the one of the worst mainstream movies I’ve ever seen.  It’s baffling that any part of that movie was green lit.  It starts with a prog rock album cover wet dream where aliens don’t fuck and then somehow makes even less ensue after that.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

16 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

You honestly made the movie somehow sound even better for me than it actually was. To be fair, the opening prog rock album stuff was so good for me.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

You honestly made the movie somehow sound even better for me than it actually was. To be fair, the opening prog rock album stuff was so good for me.

I don't think I have seen this since it was in the theater... mostly because it didn't really click with me.  I didn't really like the interactions with his earth dad and honestly that kind of soured the whole movie for me because it messes with all his motivations.  If I remember right Costner was telling him that he didn't owe earth anything and he needed to hide his powers to protect himself - up to and including letting the dad get killed by a tornado that felt useless to me.  In the 70's movie Superman is instilled with a sense of right and wrong from his earth dad, and then the dad dies of a heart attack which Superman is helpless to do anything about.  I think that was a much better way of handling that part of the story.

All that being said - I'm okay with not every movie being my favorite.  If other people like it then that is fine.  Its okay to have different interpretations.  The 70's superman is still on my shelf for me to watch.  Plus it sounds like Cavil wants to have any future appearances more closely resemble the Superman of old, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.

20 hours ago, number305 said:

I don't think I have seen this since it was in the theater... mostly because it didn't really click with me.  I didn't really like the interactions with his earth dad and honestly that kind of soured the whole movie for me because it messes with all his motivations.  If I remember right Costner was telling him that he didn't owe earth anything and he needed to hide his powers to protect himself - up to and including letting the dad get killed by a tornado that felt useless to me.  In the 70's movie Superman is instilled with a sense of right and wrong from his earth dad, and then the dad dies of a heart attack which Superman is helpless to do anything about.  I think that was a much better way of handling that part of the story.

All that being said - I'm okay with not every movie being my favorite.  If other people like it then that is fine.  Its okay to have different interpretations.  The 70's superman is still on my shelf for me to watch.  Plus it sounds like Cavil wants to have any future appearances more closely resemble the Superman of old, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.

I don't think the movie sold the Pa Kent angle very well, it's the weakest and most confused aspect of the movie, but I think Pa Kent just didn't trust the government, or his son's ability to safely hide who he was and live a normal life. I also think he wanted Superman to also let humans make their own decisions, and respect their free will, like Superman needing to learn to respect Pa Kent's choice to die than let his divine power intervene and save him. It's not like Pa Kent is some perfect person in every version in the comic books either (not that that should matter).

The movie isn't just a few Pa Kent scenes though, and I like it more for the rest of the movie. It's also gorgeously shot and scored, has exhilarating action, and at least feels like a unique origin story movie compared to so many unmemorable ones. 

1 hour ago, number305 said:

Yeah the message Superman gets from his borderline libertarian/right wing Earth parents misses the point of the character by a country mile. Ironically it's his Kryptonian father that instills a sense of right and wrong in him that we traditionally associate with Superman (which I think Snyder gets by accident almost) Snyder was too busy infusing Ayn Rand into the movie to realuze that if there ever was a character that Rand's philosophy doesn't fit it's freaking Superman.

The score for Man of Steel is one of its strongest assets.

I think the messages that Costner instills is a much more realistic representation of what a lot of parents would do. To selfishly(I guess) fear for and protect their child at any cost. 

The fact that his real father is the one who instills the morality we more closely associate with Superman makes more sense. He’s fully aware of his sons true power and potential. And he’s already lived to the end of a civilization and he has those experiences and lessons to give to his son. He’s able to see the bigger picture because he’s seen the consequences on the biggest of scales. 

Man of Steel is awesome. 

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I think the messages that Costner instills is a much more realistic representation of what a lot of parents would do. To selfishly(I guess) fear for and protect their child at any cost. 

The fact that his real father is the one who instills the morality we more closely associate with Superman makes more sense. He’s fully aware of his sons true power and potential. And he’s already lived to the end of a civilization and he has those experiences and lessons to give to his son. He’s able to see the bigger picture because he’s seen the consequences on the biggest of scales. 

Man of Steel is awesome. 

Except Superman gets his morality from BOTH Fathers originally. He learns how to be truly human and humble from his Earth parents and his potential for inspiration from his Kryptonian parents. Removing half of the equation and being raised to hide his powers out of self preservation makes you wonder why he would even bother to become a hero in the first place. It would be like if Uncle Ben told Peter “With great power comes great responsibility to make a lot of money and maximize your abilities for personal gain” Which is a totally Randian point of view. It’s why Ayn Rand and Superman don’t mix. There’s a lot to like about Man of Steel, but that particular characterization of his Earth Parents, the Kents, isn’t one of them and it misses the mark of the character by a country mile. 

19 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Except Superman gets his morality from BOTH Fathers originally. He learns how to be truly human and humble from his Earth parents and his potential for inspiration from his Kryptonian parents. Removing half of the equation and being raised to hide his powers out of self preservation makes you wonder why he would even bother to become a hero in the first place. It would be like if Uncle Ben told Peter “With great power comes great responsibility to make a lot of money and maximize your abilities for personal gain” Which is a totally Randian point of view. It’s why Ayn Rand and Superman don’t mix. There’s a lot to like about Man of Steel, but that particular characterization of his Earth Parents, the Kents, isn’t one of them and it misses the mark of the character by a country mile. 

That’s probably the reason it didn’t bother me. I didn’t read man Superman books except for the Death of Superman arc. I could never get into them. So I really don’t care how anything happened in the books. 

He doesn’t just flip a switch and become a hero out of nowhere. They show throughout his life that being heroic is in his nature. He saves the bus as a kid. Throughout his adult life he does things to save people that risks exposing himself. It’s when he meets Lois that she kind of pushes him into being an actual hero. That influence isn’t absent from the film it’s just delivered in a different way. The battle he has inside himself over his nature vs what his parents taught him to keep him safe makes him a WAY more interesting character than the kinda bland one he seems to be in the books. 

Another problem with man of steel is they made Superman even more boring and humorless. He’s definitely not the Clark Kent you would expect him to be. The character is missing that heart that Superman needs. 

the most memorable part of the movie is the krypton woman who beats Superman’s ass and was about to knife fight christopher meloni.

The problems with MoS are all over the place.  I don't demand that other people feel the same way, I just genuinely can't see anything good about the movie.  It's got so many plot holes it's more of a chasm with the occasional stalagmite poking up and it fundamentally misunderstands its own character.  It would be fine if they were doing some weird alternate take on Superman, but they're not.  

The movie makes weird choices I don't even think the writers are intentionally making.  When you boil it down, Pa Kent is basically telling an adopted kid to hide and suppress everything about where he comes from so he can fit in with everyone else.  Hey Kal-El, fuck trying to get the world to accept who you actually are, that shit might be hard.  Just be like everyone else.  I will literally die on the hill of having my kid pass as just a normal Kansas boy.  

35 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

The problems with MoS are all over the place.  I don't demand that other people feel the same way, I just genuinely can't see anything good about the movie.  It's got so many plot holes it's more of a chasm with the occasional stalagmite poking up and it fundamentally misunderstands its own character.  It would be fine if they were doing some weird alternate take on Superman, but they're not.  

The movie makes weird choices I don't even think the writers are intentionally making.  When you boil it down, Pa Kent is basically telling an adopted kid to hide and suppress everything about where he comes from so he can fit in with everyone else.  Hey Kal-El, fuck trying to get the world to accept who you actually are, that shit might be hard.  Just be like everyone else.  I will literally die on the hill of having my kid pass as just a normal Kansas boy.  

And having learned that lesson, the filmmakers want you to believe that being taught that his whole life, he would become this altruistic guardian figure because of... reasons? I have no idea how you get from what Snyder-Kents taught Clark to Superman. Most of what I like about MoS has very little to do with the plot or characterization and more to do with the actual filmmaking. The visuals, the score, the awesome fight scene with Supes and the two Kryptonians in downtown Smallville... the superficial shit that Snyder is good at. The first act stuff on Kyrpton is pretty well done as well and is probably the most unique thing about the movie. But yeah, this movie gets Supes wrong and Snyder continues that mischaracterization in Batman vs Superman where he has Supes basically splatter a guy through a wall... but then judge Batman as being too harsh because he brands bad guys? Which is also pretty stupid as well.

Snyder's handling of these three movies turned me from a fan of his to being pretty lukewarm. I thought his Dawn of the Dead remake was great but then I realized he was working from a script by James Gunn. 300 was great as well but he was working from Frank Millar's graphic novel. After those two films, I'm pretty meh on all of his other stuff and last years Watchmen series really exposes his Watchmen movie for the shallow, juevenile exercise in shallowness that it always was.

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And having learned that lesson, the filmmakers want you to believe that being taught that his whole life, he would become this altruistic guardian figure because of... reasons? I have no idea how you get from what Snyder-Kents taught Clark to Superman. Most of what I like about MoS has very little to do with the plot or characterization and more to do with the actual filmmaking. The visuals, the score, the awesome fight scene with Supes and the two Kryptonians in downtown Smallville... the superficial shit that Snyder is good at. The first act stuff on Kyrpton is pretty well done as well and is probably the most unique thing about the movie. But yeah, this movie gets Supes wrong and Snyder continues that mischaracterization in Batman vs Superman where he has Supes basically splatter a guy through a wall... but then judge Batman as being too harsh because he brands bad guys? Which is also pretty stupid as well.

Snyder's handling of these three movies turned me from a fan of his to being pretty lukewarm. I thought his Dawn of the Dead remake was great but then I realized he was working from a script by James Gunn. 300 was great as well but he was working from Frank Millar's graphic novel. After those two films, I'm pretty meh on all of his other stuff and last years Watchmen series really exposes his Watchmen movie for the shallow, juevenile exercise in shallowness that it always was.

The 17 hour Watchmen ultimate cut has animated scenes from Tales of the Black Freighter. I’d love to have anyone tell me what business that or Bubastis have being in a version of that story without the squid hoax? His shit is so weird.

9 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The 17 hour Watchmen ultimate cut has animated scenes from Tales of the Black Freighter. I’d love to have anyone tell me what business that or Bubastis have being in a version of that story without the squid hoax? His shit is so weird.

ive never seen the extended cut. But I was so confused when I heard Black Freighter was added but the squid/alien ending wasn’t. Like...what’s the point then? Haha

10 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The Black Freighter's meaning goes far beyond any thematic connection to the squid though. I take your point but the meaning isn't lost, I don't think. Snyder's preferred version is the director's cut, not the ultimate cut anyway.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

The Black Freighter's meaning goes far beyond any thematic connection to the squid though. I take your point but the meaning isn't lost, I don't think. Snyder's preferred version is the director's cut, not the ultimate cut anyway.

In the comic, sure. That entire thread adds nothing to any cut of the movie I've seen.