L.A. homelessness crisis

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/homelessness-crisis-spurs-recall-effort-against-los-angeles-mayor-eric-garcetti/

Mayor Eric Garcetti didn't create the homeless crisis in Los Angeles, but he owns it. The two-term Democrat who not long ago flirted with a presidential run has been besieged by complaints about homeless encampments that have gotten so widespread he's facing a potential recall campaign.

The low-key mayor who in 2016 helped convince voters to borrow $1.2 billion to construct housing for the homeless has found himself in an awkward position — explaining why the problems have only gotten worse.

Figures released earlier this month showed a 16% jump in Los Angeles' homeless population over the last year, pegging it at 36,300 — the size of a small city.

That's no surprise to anyone who lives or works downtown, where tents crowd sidewalks within sight of City Hall and the stench of urine fills the air.

The homeless crisis has become "a state of emergency," said Alexandra Datig, who is leading the recall effort.

Getting a recall question before voters is something of a longshot. The threshold to reach the ballot requires over 300,000 petition signatures. The effort to do so nonetheless represents at least a symbolic statement about public unrest over the problem.

Are LA’s homeless like San Francisco’s, where a huge number are actually employed at ‘middle-class’ jobs that just don’t pay the 117k minimum you need to afford housing and still feed yourself, absent managing to live in the totally swamped low-income housing system? (thence absurdities like adjunct TA’s sleeping in their cars?)

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

But letting people build a two story apartment building next to my house is fascism. If you want to live like that move to Manhattan. 

If a proposed small, urban community corner store doesn't have an acre to park my canyenaro (not that I'd go to the store--too much crime in the city) then it's literally taking away my rights