Facebook co-founder: It's time to break up Facebook

Link to the op-ed

Mark is a good, kind person. But I'm angry that his focus on growth led him to sacrifice security and civility for clicks

I'm disappointed in myself and the early Facebook team for not thinking more about how the News Feed algorithm could change our culture, influence elections and empower nationalist leaders... And I'm worried that Mark has surrounded himself with a team that reinforces his beliefs instead of challenging them.

[Zuckerberg] has created a leviathan that crowds out entrepreneurship and restricts consumer choice. It's on our government to ensure that we never lose the magic of the invisible hand

No need to break big tech up—just create a payments system that forces them to compensate the people who make them money.  That’s currently not happening.

Every time a piece of data about someone is sold to advertisers, every time someone does something that winds up being used by  an algorithm to make $$$, etc., the originator of that data should receive a royalty nanopayment.  A percentage of the money/value they have created.

That addresses the escalating inequality Big Data’s contributing to *and* weakens their monopoly power by making the industry more competitive .

Breaking Big Tech up might temporarily slow down these negative trends, but leaves the underlying issues that power them unaddressed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

No need to break big tech up—just create a payments system that forces them to compensate the people who make them money.  That’s currently not happening.

Every time a piece of data about someone is sold to advertisers, every time someone does something that winds up being used by  an algorithm to make $$$, etc., the originator of that data should receive a royalty nanopayment.  A percentage of the money/value they have created.

That addresses the escalating inequality Big Data’s contributing to *and* weakens their monopoly power by making the industry more competitive .

Breaking Big Tech up might temporarily slow down these negative trends, but leaves the underlying issues that power them unaddressed.

This sounds like it would be faster and easier than my idea to separate the front end UI/customer facing ad platform from the back end network and database (so the network effects remain to keep these type of companies viable)