The Rogue Prince of Persia - a 2D roguelite from Evil Empire (Dead Cells), Steam Early Access starts May 14

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Jump into this action roguelite installment in the Prince of Persia series as you flow between death-defying platforming and acrobatic combat as the Prince himself. Battle through the capital city again and again with one goal – find a way to save Persia from a Hun invasion wielding dark magic.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

A look at The Rogue Prince of Persia, a new roguelite from the custodians of Dead Cells.

My half-hour spent playing The Rogue Prince of Persia felt a bit like coming home. And not particularly because of the Prince of Persia bit, if I'm honest. I still love the Prince, but I also appreciate that they feel like Ubisoft's new minister without portfolio at the moment: they're a little unmoored, and they go where they're needed. They're willing to drop into a Metroidvania for The Lost Crown or, in the case of The Rogue, a roguelike or roguelite. The Prince sits around at Ubi HQ, possibly in one of the nicer cubicles, and bounces from one project to another, with no idea of what's next. Probably not a bad life, really.

What it definitely gets from Dead Cells is an enviable forward momentum. The Prince is all leanness and athleticism, decked out like a modern Olympian but with a bright red sash that flows out behind him and highlights his swiftness, his elegance. Alongside jumping and mantling, the Prince can wall-run and hop from little spars of wood, and the game chains this stuff together beautifully, offering traversal puzzles that, somehow, retain a sense of coherency and authorship despite the procedural scrambling. You'll wall-run then jump for a distant ledge, drop down, slide, jump at the end to avoid spikes, narrowly duck a chugging saw-blade and wall-run on. Such energy, and the little moments of the animation really sell it all. I particularly love when the Prince gets a health boost from a drinking fountain, and for a second or two he just bounces on his toes on the spot. Even in the still moments he is consumed by movement.

And movement flows straight through combat, with one weapon for melee and a ranged offering that is charged by doing damage. Enemies group and clump quite often, and alongside the ability to slide past them to get an opening, you can also dodge, which sees the prince performing an airy backflip, a hint of hand on enemy shoulder to it, almost polite. Shielded enemies need an extra shoeing and bomb-lobbers hang back to attack, with their damage areas highlighted by a circle with a stitched circumference. Weapons, meanwhile, can be swapped in and out as you find new ones. Better twin-knives? A saber instead? Fancy a chakram instead of a bow?

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Dead Cells developer Evil Empire is making the Prince's next adventure, and Ubisoft is skipping the usual Epic Games Store exclusivity period.

Ubisoft let me play a bit of The Rogue Prince of Persia last week via remote streaming, and the platforming and combat feel as strong as you'd expect from the caretaker of the very well-liked Dead Cells. I especially like that you can wall run on the background of the level—it performs basically the same role as a double jump, but in a more Prince of Persia-ey way. 

Platforming challenges saw me sliding down ramps that ended in spike pits, which I had to time jumps and wall runs to avoid while also staying clear of moving Super Meat Boy buzzsaws—that kind of thing. Combat had me combining a one-button melee combo with special moves, dodges, ranged attacks (you have a bow by default), and kicks that knock enemies into walls, each other, or traps.

Eventually I took an L and wound up in The Oasis, and when I was returned to life in a rearranged version of the first area, I was introduced to collectable skill upgrades called Medallions. I found one that set enemies on fire when I kicked them into walls, for instance. I also encountered new and upgraded weapons along the way, so clearly bolstering our ability set and weapons will be key to keeping the Prince alive from start to finish—aside from just getting better at avoiding being bisected by circular saws. 

What I'm unsure about for now is how much accumulated power will be transferred from one run to the next, and whether we'll unlock shortcuts or start from the beginning each time.

Kinda crazy to get vastly different takes on 2D Prince of Persia so close together. I feel bad I didn't get that ubi one cuz it looks really fun, I just can't squeeze it in right now and it seems like a good game to get on a sale and just spend a weekend or two cruising through it. 

Given Dead Cells' rep though I'm probably a bit more interested in this one. It looks like they have their own vision with the character and everything to. Look forward to it. Interesting that they're doing early access for it.