2024 Formula 1 Season. It’s Lights Out and Away We Go!

Commentators during qualifying are saying Williams won’t have a spare chassis through China. Yeesh. There could be a scenario where one driver misses an entire race weekend, practices and all, or both cars miss a race. Not a great situation to be in. 

anywho, congrats to Carlos Sainz on qualifying P2 on his first race back. Sucks a bit for Perez on a 3 place grid penalty to start 6th, but at least we will see some passing while he works his way back to the podium. Tsunoda yet again outshines Ricciardo, getting 8th to start. Oh Ricciardo, you are making it so hard to want to see you in that car. Q1 gave me such high hopes for Alonso, but boy did those Aston’s fall. Hamilton still struggling in a car designed to cater to him. 

I hope the race is interesting. Perez coming up the field and seeing if Tsunoda can keep it in the points may be the only interesting things happening. Maybe McLaren and Ferrari and Perez fighting on track could make for some good entertainment. 

Oh I know. If it was going to happen I wish it happened a few laps later so we might actually get some racing between Sainz and Verstappen. 

I like how Ferrari radios to “hold position” as Sainz just pulls away from Leclere. lol Way to save face for Leclere. I really hope Sainz gets a ride in a top 5 team. 

I like seeing Perez make the charge up the field. 
edit: Perez now just looks like he gave up. 
edit2: Way to go Carlos! Double points for HAAS, points for Tsunoda while Danny continues to underwhelm. Both Mercs out, and Perez was just … there? A very interesting race, though it didn’t feel like there was much in the way of close racing compared to even races last year. 

weird that the 2 races Carlos has won Russel also puts it into the wall at the end getting too eager to make a pass. 

21 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The 20 second penalty on Alonso was very harsh.  I get he was playing games, but Russell was not even close -- and they didn't touch.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what to make of it. Reminds me of HAM/VER in Saudi 01, although there was contact in that instance.

On the one hand, these guys are going really fast, if you do something really unexpected then you really increase the chances of a crash and penalties should exist for driver safety.

On the other hand, if you're a wily ol fox and you come up with some novel line or strategy, I'm inclined to call that fair racing. Especially given the nature of these aero dependent cars, dirty air, and DRS. We've seen other drivers let up a bit in order to be behind at DRS detection points, and they get praised to high heaven for their strategy, and rightfully so. What Alonso did was much more dramatic than that, but it's in the same vein. I'm not enough of a racer to know if Alonso's strategy would have worked if he braked more gently, or if it would have worked at all, but I would like to see an F1 where that kind of race craft is allowed and even encouraged, as long as it's safe.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Yeah, I'm not really sure what to make of it. Reminds me of HAM/VER in Saudi 01, although there was contact in that instance.

On the one hand, these guys are going really fast, if you do something really unexpected then you really increase the chances of a crash and penalties should exist for driver safety.

On the other hand, if you're a wily ol fox and you come up with some novel line or strategy, I'm inclined to call that fair racing. Especially given the nature of these aero dependent cars, dirty air, and DRS. We've seen other drivers let up a bit in order to be behind at DRS detection points, and they get praised to high heaven for their strategy, and rightfully so. What Alonso did was much more dramatic than that, but it's in the same vein. I'm not enough of a racer to know if Alonso's strategy would have worked if he braked more gently, or if it would have worked at all, but I would like to see an F1 where that kind of race craft is allowed and even encouraged, as long as it's safe.

WWW.FORMULA1.COM

Enter the world of Formula 1. Your go-to source for the latest F1 news, video highlights, GP results, live timing, in-depth analysis and expert commentary

This isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened in F1, and it has gone unpenalized in the past.  I agree with Joylon, in that I think the penalty was heavily influenced by where Russel's car ended up.

Apparently in the statement by the officials they do not even mention the impact of Alonso’s slow down on George Russell. Seemingly implying the crash was unrelated to the investigation and decision. Which seems kind of bullshit. 

It sounded like Alonso braked twice in a fast corner that can usually be taken nearly if not entirely flat out. Maybe if there was proper runoff and Russell didn’t crash there still would have been an investigation for unsafe driving by Alonso. 

I don’t think Russell was being overly dramatic or anything, like throwing his car off track and into the barrier on purpose. It looked like he was surprised and lost control of the car trying to break in time flying into the back of Alonso. It is likely the lack of downforce and reliance on the ground effects that played a large role in the car’s sudden loss of grip. 

I think the penalty is warranted. The speed differential was pretty substantial between the two. It was dangerous. That being said, that stunt isn’t as dangerous in today’s F1 cars compared to when a maneuver like that would have been perfectly legal and just deemed a racing move. 

It does sometimes feel like the FIA rules trying to make the sport safer is also causing the racing to feel “on rails”. Cars can barely defend. Most overtakes are in DRS zones where a car is practically defenseless. Australia is even worse with 2 DRS zones for just 1 detection zone. The penalties for taking a risk to race another driver makes some attempts more trouble than they are worth. Clip another car’s front wing and knock off a vertical pieces that clearly don’t aid in performance and you could get a 10 second penalty for causing a collision. In a way it feels like horse racing. At times it less feels like they are racing each other and just trying to get the most of their car. If their car is fast enough and they can harness enough of that performance then they will eventually get past other lesser powered cars. 

Im hoping for a bit of rain on the race. lol

Not enough to red flag and not to start until after lights out so it doesn’t delay the start.  

Good qualifying for Perez and Noris. Sainz looking to continue raising his stock as teams look to who they will sign for next season.

Suzuka showing that Ferrari and McLaren are 2nd fastest at different tracks again. This is going to allow Red Bull and Verstappen and Perez to run away from the pack in points. I hope McLaren and Ferrari can bring about upgrades to improve their deficiencies so the battle with Perez and each other gets much closer and more interesting. 

Im at the point where whenever I read or hear F1 referred to as “the pinnacle of motorsport” I really can’t take it seriously and even chuckle because Daniel, Logan, Lance, and Sauber’s pit crew are still operating in roles they are clearly ill-equipped to do properly. 

I think Alonso is probably best off at Aston, but it makes silly season a bit less silly without him in the mix.

At Aston he gets to be the only driver that matters as the full benefits of papa Strolls investments start hitting the track and they transition to a full works team. Given their pace right now compared to Merc, unless the Honda engine is a disaster, you have to think it's the best call you could make at the moment.

Mostly though, I'm just glad he's staying on the grid. The sport is better when he's in it, and he hasn't shown signs of slowing down. If AM could deliver him a championship caliber car in 26, which is entirely plausible, it would be amazing to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting race over the weekend:

1)  Verstappen will probably win every remaining race this season, barring technical failures/penalties

2)  Red Bull need to move on from Sergio Perez.  They need a viable second driver

3)  I wonder if Ferrari is regretting signing Hamilton?  He has been thoroughly outclassed by George Russell this season.

4)  It's a shame we have to wait until 2026 for the new engine regs

WWW.BBC.COM

Red Bull design chief Adrian Newey is to leave the team in the wake of the controversy involving allegations about team principal Christian Horner.

Newey, regarded as the greatest Formula 1 designer in history, has told Red Bull he wants to move on, BBC Sport has learned.

The 65-year-old has been unsettled by the situation at Red Bull since Horner was accused of sexual harassment and coercive, abusive behaviour by a female employee, which Horner denies.

Red Bull and Newey did not immediately respond to requests for comment.