Thoughts on First Build For My Son

My son wants his first gaming PC.  I'm giving him an extra 2TB SN770 HD I have lying around.  His "big" (i.e. only) gift for Xmas from ALL his family (all three sets of grand parents, parents, uncles, etc.) would be a 4070 Ti.  He has a an extra monitor I have from work, he has a headset, mouse, keyboard, etc. already.  Rest he would buy with his own money:

CA.PCPARTPICKER.COM

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/zKmLdH

CPU: Intel Core i5-14600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  ($397.95 @ shopRBC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB ELITE 59.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($168.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z790-PRO WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($377.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL40 Memory  ($179.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($157.62 @ Vuugo) 
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card  ($1117.75 @ Vuugo) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($134.50 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($137.50 @ Vuugo) 

Does this look like a reasonable build?

• Halal 1

Only comments;

How much more is a Crucial P5 Plus vs the WD SN770 in Canada? The P5 should be notably faster, if they’re around the same price I’d switch to it.
How much more would it be for RAM with a little better timing? CL40 seems high, I’d go for CL36 or lower unless it’s a huge price jump.

You could save a little by going to a 13600k over the 14600k, but, if you’re going to teach your kid to OC the 14600k is kind of an OCing monster due to the base voltages and low temps (people have been getting it to compete with or match the 13900/14900 in apps where the additional cores/threads of the xx900 don’t matter).

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Only comments;

How much more is a Crucial P5 Plus vs the WD SN770 in Canada? The P5 should be notably faster, if they’re around the same price I’d switch to it.

I have the SN770 sitting in my rig already, so its free to him.  :)

How much more would it be for RAM with a little better timing? CL40 seems high, I’d go for CL36 or lower unless it’s a huge price jump.

Good feedback.

I'm looking into some bundles here, that may force some CL38 RAM (essentially the RAM would be free).

You could save a little by going to a 13600k over the 14600k, but, if you’re going to teach your kid to OC the 14600k is kind of an OCing monster due to the base voltages and low temps (people have been getting it to compete with or match the 13900/14900 in apps where the additional cores/threads of the xx900 don’t matter).

The regular price here is about the same -- my local place has bundles of RAM/MB/CPU on the 13600 that may have it make sense.

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

It's a very nice build, is the monitor decent or does he plan to buy a nice one? 240hz monitors are pretty affordable.

He is repurposing an old Samsung 60Hz 1080p monitor I have -- unless we can find a gaming monitor for cheap that he can afford.  I think I will try and convince him to get a Black Friday deal on one -- not sure if matching a 4070Ti with a 165Hz 1440p display or a 240Hz 1080p display makes more sense.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The system's potential will be wasted on 60 hz. Sales happen a lot and I'm sure he could get a 1440p 240hz for a good price within 6 months.

Of course if he plays esports shooters there are 360 and 500+ hz monitors available.

It's a matter of timing/money.  There are some good sales now, mostly on monitors I'm not familiar with.

• 3 weeks later...

OK.  Got a great deal on a 13600kF/Asus ROG Z690 Gaming E WIFI/32GB of 6000MHZ RAM. -- C$700.

Had to reflash the BIOS to get it to recognize the RAM (discovered my old USB stick wasn't fast enough), so had to buy a new one to get it done.  I thought the RAM in the bundle wouldn't work, but it worked after the reflash (even though ASUS said on their website it wouldn't).

Slow build as a whole (took a lot longer to use the MB fan controller/RGB rather than a Corsair controller).

But working great.

Son got this monitor as well:

WWW.CANADACOMPUTERS.COM

Samsung 27" Odyssey G5 Gaming Monitor IPS QHD 2560x1440 165Hz 1ms HDR10 FreeSync Premium Height Adjustable LS27AG500PNXZA

The C$330 price made it a slam dunk (IPS, 1440p, 165Hz and limited HDR).

• Hype 1