XxEvil Ashxx's Motivational Backlog Purge / Piggy Bank Funding Gimmick - The Virtual 100 | Games 17 and 18: Dead Island 2, Dead Space Remake

XxEvil AshxX

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's the absolutely quintessential Xbox 360/PS3 era game, and I COULDN'T BE MORE PLEASED THAT IT IS!

It is absolutely that. Complete with 50 shades of brown lol.

I do like it, but yeah it's a 360/PS3 era game thru and thru.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, it has literally taken me all month to get through one game.

That one game is God of War Ragnarok. I've been playing it like, an hour or two at a time in the evenings when I get home from work. Which is enough time to get practically nothing done.

My main issue with getting through the game is that I.... don't like it very much? Which is weird because I enjoyed the first one. This will be an interesting write-up for sure... if I ever actually finish it.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Wow, it has literally taken me all month to get through one game.

That one game is God of War Ragnarok. I've been playing it like, an hour or two at a time in the evenings when I get home from work. Which is enough time to get practically nothing done.

My main issue with getting through the game is that I.... don't like it very much? Which is weird because I enjoyed the first one. This will be an interesting write-up for sure... if I ever actually finish it.

Ragnarok is a bit more bloated than GOW 18 but it's the better overall game imo. It's incredible. 

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

Ragnarok is a bit more bloated than GOW 18 but it's the better overall game imo. It's incredible. 

Something about the combat is more annoying to me this time around. It took a while for me to get used to in GoW 18 but ended up liking it once I got the feel for it. But something is different here. I can't put my finger on it.

Maybe the enemies are spongier this time around? I dunno.

I do feel like I'm constantly dodging attacks from behind now. I feel like I can't even get a combo started because I have to interrupt my own attacks to dodge.

Finally finished up God of War Ragnarok, so hopefully I'll get that one posted after I get off work today. 

I did realize something that was made painfully clear to me while I was playing this, and it's that (shocker) not all games are created equal. So far, I've been putting $10 per game that I've completed. Well, it's been the same whether that game has taken me 5 hours to beat, or 50.

GoW Ragnarok took me the better part of a month to beat, and under my current structure, I would only be throwing ten bucks into my savings for it. That's not good productivity, if you know what I mean. 

And I've known this in the back of my mind. It's why I've been avoiding the longer games in favor of the shorter ones, because I know it's gonna take me a while to beat and thus not be as "profitable." 

So starting with Ragnarok, I'm changing my structure a bit. I will now be putting in $10 for every ten hours it takes me to beat a game, with $10 being the minimum. This is obviously going to be tricky when it comes to games like Cyberpunk or Starfield, that can take dozens of hours, or games that don't track play time, but I'm hoping that it will alleviate some of the FOMO or the urge to "rush" through a game to get it done so I can get my $10 and move on to the next one. 

So in theory, whether I spend 70 hours in one month playing 7 different games, or a single game, the payout into my savings should be relatively similar.

Will this completely defeat the purpose of finishing games? Will it cause me to continue to avoid bigger games knowing it will cost me more? Will I ever stop buying more games and completely defeating the purpose of all of this?

Tune in next week to find out!

• XxEvil AshxX changed the title to XxEvil Ashxx's Motivational Backlog Purge / Piggy Bank Funding Gimmick - The Virtual 100 | Game 16: God of War Ragnarok
  • 3 weeks later...
  • XxEvil AshxX changed the title to XxEvil Ashxx's Motivational Backlog Purge / Piggy Bank Funding Gimmick - The Virtual 100 | Games 17 and 18: Dead Island 2, Dead Space Remake