Farang - French Action Thriller + Martial Arts

SoberChef

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally sat down and watched this this past weekend - just a heads up the film is called "Mayhem!" internationally now, with "Farang" being considered its original French title only. It was easier to find the movie once I realized that. Anyways, the film was solid! I didn't realize Xavier Gens co-wrote and directed this, he's done 6 feature films in the past, including the original Timothy Olyphant Hitman movie from 2007. This may easily be his best movie looking at his filmography. The film is economical (only one hour and 40 minutes) and beautifully shot, taking place primarily in Thailand. The Thai police inspector from Only God Forgives plays the main character's father-in-law here, which was cool. 

But it's a bit incorrect to really call this a martial arts film. The first 40 minutes have no action at all for the most part, and the martial arts scenes are pretty short and sparing for the next hour (though well done when they do happen, so worth it). The movie is more like Man on Fire-lite than it is something in the vein of The Raid, Ong Bak/The Protector or John Wick. Still, I think this is worth watching, I'd give it a 6/10 or a 6.5/10, around there. OP thread title should probably be edited to reflect the new title for the film so it's more easily findable in searches online.