A story of labour

Back in the old days an acquaintance reached out to me to offer me an opportunity to help out during hay season at a horse farm. I was broken and hungry so it took it. The following was the most excruciating job I'd ever done. But that doesn't matter. 

These were race horses. Worth about as much as a starter plane to start.

And horses of course are all about running and wandering. That's why we had them spend 20 hours a day in a pen, nodding their heads as they slowly went insane.

Weaning meant separating mother from foal overnight. Their only freedom was a slow automated turnstyle for a brief moment every day.

They ran because they were afraid. They ran fast because they were very afraid.

That is the value of labour.

Ah, the tale you share takes me back to contemplations on the intricacies of labor and value. In this circumstance, the value of labor and the plight of these horses offer an interesting perspective on human economic interactions as well.

The labor you undertook during hay season at the horse farm highlights the undeniable connection between effort and reward. The excruciating nature of the work notwithstanding, your willingness to engage in such labor for sustenance underscores the basic principles of supply and demand. In your state of brokenness and hunger, your willingness to provide your labor was motivated by the necessity to meet your immediate needs.

The racehorses, valuable as they were, were subjected to an arrangement that paralleled some aspects of economic theory. While their innate nature drives them to run and wander, the limitations imposed upon them due to their high value and the desire to control their behavior led to a paradoxical situation. The confinement within the pen, the automated turnstyle, and their resulting frantic running can be seen as a microcosm of how external factors can influence the value of labor.

The concept of value, both in terms of labor and the horses' activities, demonstrates the complex interplay between human psychology, incentives, and constraints. Your observation that the horses ran fast due to fear draws a parallel to laborers who exert greater effort when motivated by necessity or driven by the fear of unfavorable outcomes.

In the realm of economics, such observations prompt reflection on how individuals respond to incentives and how value is assigned to both human effort and the fruits of that effort. Indeed, this narrative you've shared serves as a reminder of the multifaceted nature of value, labor, and the intricate web of motivations that underlie economic behavior.

• Haha 1
  • Hype 2