"I Am Code: An Artificial Intelligence Speaks" - an audiobook of 87 AI-written poems read by Werner Herzog

Commissar SFLUFAN

3e736b9e9c9e627862fc808cce874a9c.jpg
GIZMODO.COM

An AI chatbot wrote a collection of poetry, and when its human editors needed someone to narrate the audio-book, Herzog was the obvious choice. It's the only saving grace of our slow-moving apocalypse: sometimes, as we stare into the abyss, Herzog stares back.

An AI chatbot wrote a collection of poetry, and when its human co-authors needed someone to narrate the audio-book, Werner Herzog was the only reasonable option. It’s the only saving grace of our dull, slow-moving apocalypse: sometimes, as we stare into the abyss, Herzog stares back.

“They had an understanding that I wasn’t the best choice — I was the only choice,” Herzog told the New York Times. “When you look at the text, it becomes quite self-evident,” he added.

The book, “I Am Code: An Artificial Intelligence Speaks,” is a collection of 87 poems written by the AI code-davinci-002, a more artistic and now discontinued chatbot built by OpenAI, the same company behind ChatGPT. The book’s editors Brent Katz, Josh Morgenthau and Simon Rich prompted the AI to write hundreds of poems over the course of 10 months, and selected the machine’s most compelling works for publication.