Development of the next "mainline" Civilization game officially announced

Commissar SFLUFAN

civilization-6-1.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

New studio head says she wants to take the strategy franchise “to exciting new heights”…

Firaxis has officially announced that the next mainline game in its Sid Meier’s Civilization series is in development.

Ed Beach, franchise lead designer for Civilization VI, will continue in his role as creative director on the new game.

The next entry in the turn-based strategy series was confirmed alongside the announcement of a major shake-up at the 2K Games studio, which will see XCOM director Jake Solomon and studio head Steve Martin leave the company.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Development of the next "mainline" Civilization game officially announced

I like Civ a lot. Having played VI a bunch lately, and kind of reaching burnout with it a little bit, I think the number one thing I'd like to see them try to do is give you some new options in the late game. There are a bunch of games where somewhere in the mid-game whatever strategy you were going for kinda locks in, and you get yourself into a position where you have a clear advantage over everybody else, but it still takes a lot time to actually hit the win condition you're going for. Whether it's actually getting your missionaries to haul their asses around the map to convert cities, or getting enough tourists for a culture victory (the math to which I still don't understand at all), whatever it is. And at this point, you usually have a bunch of cities to assign work to, and at a certain point some of them just become completely inconsequential. I think they need to find a way to either make it feel like what you're doing on each turn still matters and you're not just sort of running the clock out, or just have you hit win conditions faster once you've gotten close, while still making it possible for people lagging behind to come back if the leader isn't THAT close.

• Like 1

They've had two main releases with the hex grid combat now and the AI still has absolutely no idea how to use it. I'd really like to see them fix that, and in general have difficulty adjustments result in the AI playing worse or better, no just being a dial for how much the incompetent AI gets to cheat. 

Playing with humans fixes that, but even with simultaneous moves the games just take too long and then good luck getting the same group of people together again at a later date to finish the game. Making games be able to resolve faster like @Ricofoley said would probably help with that—maybe have a setting for how close the leader has to be to hitting their win condition before the game just automatically calls it, groups with more time to play can let the leader need a larger lead than the runner up than groups with less time.