Jojo Part 9, Jojolands, to come out February 17, 2023.

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I remember the original JoJo OVA from back in the day. Does that series have anything to do with this one? Where do you start with the current series?

The old JoJo OVA is split into two parts - the 1993-1994 OVA series (episodes 1-6) are actually an adaptation of the second half of JoJo Part 3 (Crusaders in Egypt). In 2000, they went back to the old OVA and finished it off, making episodes 7-13 (technically takes places before the first OVA though - so the 2000's OVA comes first story-wise, then the 1993 OVA series). The 2000's OVA series adapts the first half of Part 3. This OVA series is now useless, incomplete, and old, but before the new anime TV series, it's all JoJo fans had for animated material and was good for its time.

The new JoJo anime TV series started in 2012 and is a complete reboot of the show, adapting the famous manga straight from the beginning and being a pretty faithful adaptation to boot. I've only seen the first three parts (or seasons) but it's perfectly JoJo and I love it. Been meaning to catch up and get back into it, but the anime is still running strong 10 years later, almost having adapted all of the manga now. But it's a complete reboot, I'd start with the new JoJo anime TV series Part 1 - Phantom Blood. Part 2 is "Battle Tendency", and so on.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The old JoJo OVA is split into two parts - the 1993-1994 OVA series (episodes 1-6) are actually an adaptation of the second half of JoJo Part 3 (Crusaders in Egypt). In 2000, they went back to the old OVA and finished it off, making episodes 7-13 (technically takes places before the first OVA though - so the 2000's OVA comes first story-wise, then the 1993 OVA series). The 2000's OVA series adapts the first half of Part 3. This OVA series is now useless, incomplete, and old, but before the new anime TV series, it's all JoJo fans had for animated material and was good for its time.

The new JoJo anime TV series started in 2012 and is a complete reboot of the show, adapting the famous manga straight from the beginning and being a pretty faithful adaptation to boot. I've only seen the first three parts (or seasons) but it's perfectly JoJo and I love it. Been meaning to catch up and get back into it, but the anime is still running strong 10 years later, almost having adapted all of the manga now. But it's a complete reboot, I'd start with the new JoJo anime TV series Part 1 - Phantom Blood. Part 2 is "Battle Tendency", and so on.

Thanks! This is the best explanation I've had regarding this series and explains a LOT! I saw the original OVA sometime ago and always wondered if they ever finished the story. I never knew they went back and finished it, but its good to know that it's irrelevant anyway and the new series adapts the manga from the begining. I even tried to give the manga a try a couple of times but had no idea how it pertained to what i had already saw in the OVA. This gives me a roadmap at least. I always liked the concept.

• Hugs 1

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Thanks! This is the best explanation I've had regarding this series and explains a LOT! I saw the original OVA sometime ago and always wondered if they ever finished the story. I never knew they went back and finished it, but its good to know that it's irrelevant anyway and the new series adapts the manga from the begining. I even tried to give the manga a try a couple of times but had no idea how it pertained to what i had already saw in the OVA. This gives me a roadmap at least. I always liked the concept.

No problem! It's confusing so definitely requires some help. Part 3 with the next JoJo, Jotaro Kujo, known as "Stardust Crusaders" (Crusaders in Egypt) is the first part to really settle into the battle system of JoJo with "stands" etc. In parts 1 and 2 it's a bit weirder and stranger (the whole show is strange to be fair). So the old OVA wanted to get right to the good stuff and condensed a lot of the second half of part 3 in just six episodes, and why the second half? It was the cooler half, new viewers be damned. Then seven years later they did indeed go back in 2000 and did a super condensed adaptation of the first half of part 3 via seven new episodes. Then the property basically lay dormant until 2012. The new adaptation is not condensed, it's a great and full adaptation of the manga, and the new show nails the tone, animation style, character designs, and ridiculousness of the manga. Hope you check it out! The dub for the show is good too for those who don't like subs.

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

No problem! It's confusing so definitely requires some help. Part 3 with Jotaro Joestar, known as "Stardust Crusaders" (Crusaders in Egypt) is the first part to really settle into the battle system of JoJo with "stands" etc. In parts 1 and 2 it's a bit weirder and stranger (the whole show is strange to be fair). So the old OVA wanted to get right to the good stuff and condensed a lot of the second half of part 3 in just six episodes, and why the second half? It was the cooler half, new viewers be damned. Then seven years later they did indeed go back in 2000 and did a super condensed adaptation of the first half of part 3 via seven new episodes. Then the property basically lay dormant until 2012. The new adaptation is not condensed, it's a great andf full adaptation of the manga, and the new show nails the tone, animation style, character designs, and ridiculousness of the manga. Hope you check it out! The dub for the show is good too for those who don't like subs.

Just started the first episode of the first series... at least now I know who the fuck Dio is and why he hates the Joestars! It's a question I've wanted to know the answer to since the first I saw the first OVA :p

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Lol this shit is as bonkers as I heard :lol: What's even funnier is that they play everything straight! This is like a parody of shonen manga but takes itself seriously and it still works :lol: I'm gonna be diving all into this... I forgot how much I liked the originaly OVA even if I don't understand half of what was going on :lol:

That is exactly the show and it is indeed great. The fact it straddles that line so perfectly is impressive. Speedwagon is also hilarious - his color commentary skewers Krillin-type shit. :p 

• True 1