Hit me with your knowledge oh wise ones: “Your controller might not be an official controller and may not function properly”

gamer.tv

The error message popped up when using my PS4. The controller in question was half the price of RRP, has never worked in games (inputs either don’t work or are reversed on analogue sticks) but operates fine in menus and apps.

I know this is a fake controller, I knew it when I saw the box, then really knew when I touched the horrible plastic it’s  made from. It’s that bad, the vendor refunded me.

The question is, is there a fix, or is this all tied in with some anti-piracy/we hate counterfeit good thing? 

• gamer.tv changed the title to Hit me with your knowledge oh wise ones: “Your controller might not be an official controller and may not function properly”

I might be making this up but I feel like i read something once....like the PS4 controller is wireless and it's like a really good wireless lag free connection.  Not like some shoddy Bluetooth deal.  Maybe your knockoff controller is missing that special part, and the PS4 is recognizing the knockoff as more of a "Bluetooth media remote" and not actually as a controller.

Edit: Does it operate any better if it's connected to the console with a USB cable? I think there is another option in the controller settings too about allowing data over a wired connection. Something to check out.