The Great War: Western Front (Petroglyph Games) - WWI RTS/RTT from developers of C&C: Remastered, update: initial reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

og_image.jpg
WWW.PLAYTHEGREATWAR.COM

Play a deciding role in history with this real-time tactical experience as you take charge in the iconic Western Front from 1914 to 1919. Pick your faction and lead your forces to victory.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1661366979
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The Great War: Western Front is the definitive WW1 strategy game. Play a deciding role in history with this real-time tactical experience as you take charge in the iconic Western Front from 1914 to 1919. Pick your faction and lead your forces to victory.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Great War: Western Front (Petroglyph Games, 2023) - WWI RTS/RTT from developers of C&C: Remastered

Preview from RPS:

The-Great-War-no-mans-land-rush.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We took in a hands-off preview of The Great War: Western Front at Gamescom 2022, witnessing a detail-dense strategy epic that places a steep price on victory.

Not that all the other wars were just a bit of goofing around, but World War One – a conflict remembered more for its bleak, arduous trench warfare than any great triumph over evil – seems like a particularly unusual source of inspiration for a strategy game that will, presumably, be played for fun. Nonetheless, The Great War: Western Front, a combination of macro planning and tactical RTS battling revealed this week at Gamescom, has elected to lean right into WW1's complexities and difficulties rather than dance around them.

Developers Petroglyph have gone for historical accuracy in various ways, senior designer Chris Becker and audio director Frank Klepacki explain to me at a hands-off demo in Cologne. The soundtrack will even include licensed music from the era. But something they want to really hammer home is the brutality of the war: territory won't be won in heroic pushes but slowly and bloodily, while collapsing morale is as much a danger as any advancing army.

In fact, it's possible to lose the whole campaign – playable as either the Allies or the Central Powers – if your 'National Will' to fight falls flat. Becker opens the demo in Theatre Commander mode, the game's strategy layer, and it permanently displays both sides' National Will at the very top of the screen. There's a grid-based map that shows unit positions and Europe's frontline, but pushing that line into enemy territory isn't the only way to win. Breaking their National Will through battles, even if you don't claim complete, outright victory, will eventually see them surrender.

Along the way you'll be presented with surprise events, presenting a choice of how to spend or save your resources in a pinch; when asked how to deal with rising cases of shellshock, for example, you can invest in researching proper treatment or preserve your coffers (at the cost of losing National Will) by telling victims to get on with it. Theatre Commander mode also includes a gigantic branching tech tree, covering everything from weapons and technology improvements to economic measures and espionage tactics. Becker opts to invest in Death

From Below, a perk that can provide an edge in future battles via shovel-wielding saboteurs digging under the enemy lines and planting explosives right beneath their sodden boots.

Performing this kind of prep work seems just as vital, if not more so, to the RTS battle mode as your actual troop movements and firing orders. Back in the Theatre Commander view, risking a spy mission can reveal enemy infantry and equipment numbers – details a more forgiving RTS might give up freely. Then, if you choose to engage, there's a lengthy (lasting a month of in-game time) and highly detailed setup phase where you'll need to build trenches, communication lines, and weapon emplacements.

• 2 weeks later...

As the name suggests, this title delves deep into the war of inches that trench warfare became, highlighting the complexities of maintaining a vast frontline of battle and the efforts required to gain even a phyrric victory over the other side.

At the core of The Great War: Western Front is a desire to create an authentic recreation of trench warfare. The game can be played from both sides, either as the Allies or the Central Powers, and can run from 1914 through to 1919 – your actions can potentially extend the war – with a blend of turn-based and real time strategy.

You have full command of your side’s forces across the entire front, looking down on a representation of this theatre of war subdivided into hexagons. It’s a persistent campaign map that will shift slowly back and forth as you vie for each incremental victory. Across the frontline, you’ll see the disposition of your troops, how many battalions you have in place, the artillery and the tanks that are backing them up, but not those of your enemy. The fog of war here lets you see roughly where the enemy is placed, but you’ll need to use espionage in order to get a deeper understanding of what might lie in wait for any concerted assault you choose to wage.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
The-Great-War-GC.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

The Great War's developers want to educate players about the First World War

The most compelling thing about The Great War is that you cannot win, you can only lose by a lesser degree than your opponent loses. Much like the First World War, the game is an arduous affair about winning by inches, knowing when to stop and conserve your resources, and about maintaining morale in the most difficult and dreary of conditions. In the gameplay demo, Becker had claimed an enemy base, but decided not to push on and claim the other two in what would have been a complete and undeniable victory - because in doing so he would have lost far more men and destroyed his own tanks, meaning future battles would have been all the more difficult. It's an interesting approach, and one that asks for a lot of patience - especially as the first RTS game to embrace trench battles. Still, RTS fans are used to meticulous pacing.

The-Great-War-Western-Front-Impressions-
WCCFTECH.COM

Take to the trenches of WW1 in The Great War: Western Front, a new strategy game by Petroglyph. Here are my thoughts from a presentation at Gamescom.

In addition to managing your units and the frontline, you'll also be deciding your progression of technology. Furthermore, there is a critical element in 'National Will'. Should your national will drop to zero, you'll be driven out of the war by the people at home - much like what happened with Russia during the actual events. This is also the case of the enemy, drive down their national will, and you can claim victory - rather than the ultimate triumph of capturing the enemy's capital.

When it comes to the tech tree, this is one place where The Great War: Western Front can have you determine the direction of the war as you see fit. There are multiple paths to go down, from improving weaponry, focusing on espionage, or giving yourself more tactics to use against the enemy and give yourself an advantage in the battles. Death from Below was selected in the presentation, giving the option of having units dig under a trench and planting a bomb to demolish the enemy's trench before you attack. If you're not sure what I mean, watch the film Beneath Hill 60.

As you progress through the months and year, you'll come across surprise events that impact you both at home and on the frontline, depending on your decisions. For example, Petroglyph showed me one which had you decide what to do with the rising shellshock cases. You can choose to either proper research treatment at a monetary cost or do nothing, giving you a loss of national will. Understandable, as people at home see the horrors of shellshock and its effects on people.

the-great-war-western-front-preview-head
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Developer Petroglyph Games shifts gears from Command & Conquer for The Great War: Western Front - a weighty but promising WW1 RTS game published by Frontier

When Petroglyph Games showed me its new RTS game The Great War: Western Front at Gamescom 2022, I thought: I know exactly what to do differently. I then felt a sting of shame at the arrogance of imagining I could do better than the best commanders of the time, but it’s an attitude engendered by the way we teach the war, and by Petroglyph’s invitation to play through it ourselves.

World War 1 was a fixture of my education. In English we studied the poetry it inspired for several years – it certainly felt that way, at least – and in history, I did a big project on the new weapons unleashed by industrialisation and the challenge they posed to traditional tactics. This left my teenaged self with a widely held view of the war: that its tragedy lay not only in the sheer scale of the loss of life, but in its avoidability. If only the generals had been more adaptable, more aware of conditions at the front, more humane. ‘Lions led by donkeys’, and all that.

So here’s the plan: I won’t throw away lives in pointless charges across No Man’s Land, but reinforce my trenches, attrite the enemy, and rush to tanks, gas, and machine guns. What if I do that? Do I win?

RpNZBADvPQ9JxdPhPoiGZA-1200-80.png
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Petroglyph's World War 1 strategy is all about the long game.

This is a World War 1 RTS, which means victory won't be quick and easy. The mantra for The Great War: Western Front is that this will be a 'battle of inches'—marginal gains that slowly tip the war in your favour. Whether you choose to play as the Allies or the Central Powers, you won't be painting the strategic map in your colour. Instead, you win by grinding down your opponent—taking actions that will deplete their 'National Will'. This is the main resource of the campaign, and if either side lets it drop to zero, they lose the war.

In a hands-off demo, Petroglyph gives me an overview of Theatre Command mode—the grand strategy layer of the campaign. Here, each turn represents a month of the war, and players are presented with events to respond to and missions to undertake. The events are a classic grand strategy affair—a problem with multiple options that have an effect on your various resources. In the demo, we see one about troops suffering from shellshock, and have the option to ignore it—losing National Will but saving money—or to address the issue by spending some cash.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
TwAuL7NDtEGwGofsabJA37-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

No MOBA DNA, just trench warfare and human sacrifice.

The MOBA age has made us soft. 

The Dota and League of Legends genre grew out of the classic real-time strategy beatdowns of the '90s and early 2000s: StarCraft, Command & Conquer, Age of Empires. But rather than controlling an unruly hoard of chattel troops—who throw themselves against enemy defenses in a hellish war of attrition, living lives that last five minutes or less—we instead piloted these impervious champions (or whatever nomenclature you prefer), who've never feared annihilation on the battlefield. They had steep health bars and ultimate abilities, and they feasted on the lowly creeps who used to be our primary offense. But The Great War: Western Front intends to return us to that grand old-fashioned bleakness; a commander sacrificing an untold number of lives to claim the day.

As you can infer from the name, The Great War takes place during World War I—particularly the Western Front, which was the site of the conflict's most infernal trench warfare. The game operates like a hybrid between a traditional RTS and a more glacial Total War-ish experience; you won't be taking turns with your opponent when the shooting starts, but you can pause the action mid-stream to marinate on your orders, or slow the pace down to a crawl if the chaos gets a little too much to process.

I played two matches, where I was instructed to get my battalion of Allies across No Man's Land and conquer a smattering of bunkers currently occupied by the Central Powers. I had the whole expanse of turn-of-the-century mechanization on my side: mortars, bombing runs, and of course, a ton of scared young men, prepared to charge over the top and into the maw at the sound of a whistle.

The Great War will not reward technical, click-to-click unit control. You aren't going to win a skirmish in this game by, say, darting a few troops around the map like a fleet footed Mutalisk. Instead, superiority is determined by momentum. You send your battalions to charge the enemy trenches, cloaking their advance with rolling mortar shots. When everything is timed perfectly, they'll rout the opposing lines and send the units scampering backwards in a panicked retreat. 

rELitEzjqnEqzZU2WPhAQH-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

The Great War: Western Front is a strategy game that thrives in its inadvertent moments

In The Great War: Western Front, timing is everything. You will live and die based on the speed and timeliness (or lack thereof) of your actions. Send your troops across enemy lines too soon, and they'll be brutally slaughtered by enemies camped in the trenches. Delay on ordering a squadron to commandeer a derelict, enemy-occupied building, and they'll pelt you with mortar shells from above at range. I wasn't around during the actual first World War – my great grandfather on my dad's side fought in it; with my grandfather having fought as a Commando in WW2 – but I imagine this is true of the real thing. 

And while I'm clearly being flippant (of course this was true of the real thing, and, indeed the myriad video game interpretations of WW1 that have surfaced over the last half century or so), realism is something The Great War: Western Front developer Petroglyph Games is striving for in its upcoming "definitive(opens in new tab)" World War 1 strategy game. During an hour or so of hands-on playtime, I learned this the hard way.

greatwar_3913283b.jpg
WWW.GAMEREACTOR.EU

We've been hands-on with Petroglyph's RTS title, where we were tasked with winning a part of the battle of Passchendaele.

The World Wars have been adapted and turned into countless games over the years. Whether they come in the form of shooters or strategy titles, this monumental period of human history has been explored so many times in an interactive sense that it's hardly surprising to see a new kid on the block, if you will. Coming from Petroglyph Games, I've had the chance to try out the RTS title The Great War: Western Front, as part of a hands-on preview event, where I got to lead troops in an attempt to win a part of the famous Passchendaele battle.

Immediately upon loading in, it becomes apparent - like the conflict itself - that this is not a game for the faint-hearted. There are a lot of strategy elements, and if you fail to manage them correctly, you will lose. Between actually organising your troops and managing supply resources that determine how many actions you can undertake or battalions you can order, all the way to actually guiding and leading each squadron as a field general, there's a lot to unpack. And you'll need to become familiar with each system, as you'll be expected to take and hold various important objectives on a map, by using smart strategy to give your troops an opportunity to overcome the Central Powers' forces defending them.

Now as this is the First World War, military strategy isn't as defined as it is today. Rather you'll be asking your troops to sprint across no man's land, through a hail of bullets and artillery shells, all to make it to the enemy trenches, in an effort to capture them for yourself. You do have tools to aid your armies in this matter, including a plentiful array of ally artillery strikes that can suppress enemy units, directly attack and damage them, or simply provide cover for your guys through the usage of Rolling Barrages (which are essentially very rudimentary smokescreens). How you use your artillery backfield in cohesion with your assaulting troops will directly determine how successful individual attacks will be, and whether or not you have the manpower to claim vital objectives on each battlefield.

TGW_WF_Foundry_Event_BalloonBusting_1920
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We go hands on with The Great War: Western Front, the new WW1 RTS coming from C&C Remastered devs Petroglyph Games.

In some ways, this shouldn’t be surprising. As Petroglyph Games’ lead designer Chris Becker tells me over email, “WW1 is known for being a war of attrition and a battle of inches,” leading to fewer sweeping power plays when it comes to securing a victory. Indeed, your main concern here isn’t so much the winning of each individual battle, but maintaining your side’s National Will, which Becker says will be "in constant fluctuation" throughout the campaign – and with both the Allies and Central Powers to pick from here, that could mean very different things depending on who you choose. "It’s essential that players continue to monitor this, as the relentless toll that the war will take on National Will can result in overall victory or defeat," says Becker. "Authenticity is at the heart of this, we wanted to truly represent what 'victory' meant in the war - even with success, there is cost."

I found this out the hard way during my playthrough of the Battle of Passchendaele. Even when I was making progress with the mission's main objectives, my National Will was starting to drop perilously low toward the end of it due to all the casualties I'd accumulated in the process. I eventually found a good rhythm of calling down rolling barrages to provide essential cover fire for my troops as they made their way across the perilous, muddy torrents of No Man's Land to capture enemy trenches, but not before I'd lost several companies to the German’s oncoming streams of deadly machine gun fire.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Great War: Western Front (Petroglyph Games, 30 March 2023) - WWI RTS/RTT from developers of C&C: Remastered, update: game release - March 30, demo release - February 6 (Steam Next Fest)

Petroglyph just announced a release date for the game of March 30 and that a demo will be released on February 6 as part of Steam Next Fest.

Also, new previews published today:

In some ways, this shouldn't be surprising. As Petroglyph Games' lead designer Chris Becker tells me over email, "WW1 is known for being a war of attrition and a battle of inches," leading to fewer sweeping power plays when it comes to securing a victory. Indeed, your main concern here isn't so much the winning of each individual battle, but maintaining your side's National Will, which Becker says will be "in constant fluctuation" throughout the campaign – and with both the Allies and Central Powers to pick from here, that could mean very different things depending on who you choose. "It's essential that players continue to monitor this, as the relentless toll that the war will take on National Will can result in overall victory or defeat," says Becker. "Authenticity is at the heart of this, we wanted to truly represent what 'victory' meant in the war - even with success, there is cost."

I found this out the hard way during my playthrough of the Battle of Passchendaele. Even when I was making progress with the mission's main objectives, my National Will was starting to drop perilously low toward the end of it due to all the casualties I'd accumulated in the process. I eventually found a good rhythm of calling down rolling barrages to provide essential cover fire for my troops as they made their way across the perilous, muddy torrents of No Man's Land to capture enemy trenches, but not before I'd lost several companies to the German's oncoming streams of deadly machine gun fire.

The interesting trade-off here is that troops are cheaper to deploy in the set-up phase, but placing them early means they might take damage from the enemy's strategic-level siege artillery before battle is even joined. There's also the important consideration of how many supplies to spend on set-up and how many to hold in reserve to use throughout the battle. When I tried to really turtle up as hard as I could from the start, I often found that I would run out of shells for my artillery long before I had achieved a convincing breakthrough and have no choice but to call a ceasefire.

And appropriately enough, that is how a lot of engagements will end – with the attacking side deciding they can't make any more progress with the resources they have and settling for a stalemate. Each territory on The Great War's strategic map has a certain number of stars that must be removed to capture it, and removing a star requires a decisive "Great Victory" from one side or the other. So you will most likely be fighting a lot of battles where the outcome is inconclusive. But every little win does sway the course of the campaign.

great_war.png
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Patroglyph Games sets its sights on the "war of inches"

And yet, Western Front’s loading screens alternate between advertisements for war bonds and quotes about the cost of victory from military leaders. One of its historic missions zooms in on the river Somme, the banks of which became the site of a million casualties over the span of five months in 1916. As field commanders, players can launch poisonous gas into enemy lines, forcing soldiers out of their trenches and into the spray of water-cooled machine guns. Alternate history, this is not.

Of course, I’m making these uneasy observations in retrospect. During the demo, with my hand on the mouse and my fingers on the keyboard, time melted away.

the-great-war-western-front-gameplay.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Upcoming WW1 strategy game The Great War: Western Front is an adventurous foray into the complex world of wargaming for veteran RTS game developer Petroglyph.

Perhaps the most shocking thing about The Great War Western Front, Petroglyph's upcoming historical RTS game, is how fast a platoon of men can simply vanish. Dozens of soldiers can be charging across a French battlefield one moment, and in the seconds it takes for a burst of machine gun fire to ring out or an artillery barrage to land, they're gone.

In a Great War Western Front hands-on preview I joined recently, I had the chance to try out the upcoming PC game's tutorial, experiment a little with its complex campaign layer, and attempt one of the historical battles that recreate some of the clashes that defined the First World War. It's a remarkable step for Petroglyph, a studio whose RTS chops date back to 1992's Dune 2, and this early look grabbed my attention and held it.

The-Great-War-Western-Front-–-Battle-Her
WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

We get an extended hands on with The Great War: Western Front, an authentic take on the trench warfare and grand campaign of WWI.

Keen strategy fans might be able to muddle their way through and learn on the fly, but for most players the first port of call should be the tutorial. This thematically follows a US regiment arriving late in the war and joining the Allied forces, bolstering the defences in a key area and letting you sample the troops management, espionage and tech trees of the campaign map and some of the more advanced elements of trench warfare, with planes, different types of artillery barrage, and the general principles of trying to protect your troops, while also being willing to send more companies into the fight, and knowing when to call an end to an assault.

From this tutorial to a fresh campaign, it's start just how pared back your options are in battle. WWI saw great leaps forward in technology and marked a real turning point in how wars were fought, and that's represented here by the completely empty tech trees. You don't have planes, you don't have rolling barrages, you have nothing but the most basic of trenches as your options. Each turn (depicting one month of the war) will reward you with research points to spend, as will completing certain optional objectives.

The ultimate goal of the campaign is to force the other side to capitulate, whether that's by inflicting enough defeats that the public perception of the war forces them to give in, or managing to progress the front line to, and capture their headquarters in Paris or Kreuznach.

WWW.GAMEWATCHER.COM

The Great War: Western Front gives you plenty of things to consider both on a strategic and tactical level while successfully recreating the arduous effort and cost of lives that went into taking a small chunk of land during the period it explores.

The small chunk of the campaign that we got to sample successfully captured the slower pace at which territory shifted hands in World War I as well as the meat grinder into which soldiers were thrown. After this, we then got to experience another of The Great War: Western Front’s historical battles, leading the Central Powers during The Battle of the Somme.

Moving on from the campaign, we then got to sample one of The Great War: Western Front’s historical battles, leading the Central Powers during The Battle of the Somme. As opposed to the campaign, where we placed down and upgraded trenches and defenses ourselves, this was a handcrafted scenario with preset defensive positions and set objectives dictating its flow.

The Battle of the Somme started with the German positions separated by entrenched Allies. Initially, we had to use emplaced machine guns, infantry, and artillery to hold back attacks against two different control points on both sides of the allied lines. We did the mistake of focusing most of our troops on one side but, thankfully, were given a small number of units on both objectives, which ended up seeing us through.

The-Great-War-Western-Front-Preview-01-H
WCCFTECH.COM

Last month I went hands-on with The Great War: Western Front. Here's what I thought with my first time playing the upcoming strategy game.

Taking the fight to your enemies, you must time things to perfection. This is especially true when the battle has an overall time limit, which can force you to make mistakes. One such error is sending men over the top without sufficient cover - that cover being artillery. These can be smoke barrages, rolling barrages for suppression, and even direct artillery strikes. The issue is timing these wrong and having them finish too early; your men will very quickly get mowed down - something that took allied generals far too long to realise when they would do huge barrages that ended a while before sending the troops over the top.

So yes, timing is the key to success in The Great War: Western Front. Success can also bring further success, giving you additional resources, troops, and troop types. For example, completing the first objective - capturing the central position - allowed me to select between two different unit types as a reward. The mission then moved to an overall aim of capturing the German HQ, with optional objectives of capturing the flanking headquarters and trenches.

It was the overuse of artillery and planes - either trying to take down enemy visibility balloons or attempting bombing runs - that cost me the fight. I pushed the left flank, but often not with enough force. By the time I captured it, I had no resources to call reinforcements. Another critical mistake was when calling reinforcements, I would leave them out in the open, with German artillery picking them off - far too many lost before I moved them to a trench.

great-war-western-front-preview-wide.jpg
COGCONNECTED.COM

The Great War: Western Front is an upcoming real time strategy game where commanders face off in the War to End All Wars.

Visually, the tactical map is absolutely packed with information, almost to the point of overkill. Add to that the tool tips, expandable UI elements, mission objectives and encyclopedia, and the Theatre Commander must be a tactician able to process a lot of detail. On the battlefield, things are a little easier to read. But here, too, there is a lot to keep track off. Even zoomed in, units — especially infantry — are very small. While real-time battle effects are well done, this isn't a strategy game where individual units have unique animations or personality. At the battlefield level, the UI is every bit as complex as it is in the tactical map.

In a couple of hours with the game, I barely had time to reach the end of the tutorial. Of course, I was under the gun to move as quickly as possible. The Great War: Western Front is a game that will absolutely require a commitment of time, though experienced tactical wargamers might have an advantage on the learning curve. Even just scratching the surface, I appreciated the attention to detail and historical accuracy the developers have poured into the game. I look forward to blocking out some serious free time when the game releases later this year.

Recent trailers:

The demo is now available on Steam:

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1675700113
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The Great War: Western Front is the definitive WW1 strategy game. Play a deciding role in history with this real-time tactical experience as you take charge in the iconic Western Front from 1914 to 1919. Pick your faction and lead your forces to victory.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Great War: Western Front (Petroglyph Games, 30 March 2023) - WWI RTS/RTT from developers of C&C: Remastered, update: "Commanding the Western Front" developer diary
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Great War: Western Front (Petroglyph Games, 30 March 2023) - WWI RTS/RTT from developers of C&C: Remastered, update: "Central Powers" campaign gameplay video
  • 4 weeks later...

Initial reviews:

Game Information

Game Title: The Great War: Western Front

Platforms:

• PC (Mar 30, 2023)

Developer: Petroglyph
Publisher: Frontier Foundry

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 74 average - 44% recommended

Critic Reviews

Digitally Downloaded - 4.5 / 5

The Great War: Western Front is an excellent way to learn something about the battlefields and conditions of a war that, let’s face it, is one we rarely learn much about these days. It’s always inspiring when developers take the time to be meticulous with their history games and aim to present something that doesn’t just entertain, but also informs.

God is a Geek - 8 / 10

Despite finicky controls and complex gameplay, The Great War: Western Front is deeply satisfying, always respectful of the source material.

Softpedia - 8 / 10

The Great War: Western Front is a good strategy game that tackles a historical period most titles in the genre overlook. Both the strategic and the tactical sides feature interesting mechanics and plenty of choices that affect the course of the war. The computer mostly puts up a good enough fight while the multiplayer side has plenty of options to create varied situations.

The Games Machine - Italian - 7.7 / 10

The Great War: Western Front aims to be a faithful reconstruction of the many battles the France, Britain and Germany fought more than a hundred years ago, and of the context surrounding them. It definitely succeds at that, thanks to a very good soundtrack and to videos, posters and quotes from the period. Gameplay wise, however, the result is a game that is more catered towards a niche of players.

COGconnected - 72 / 100

Doing its best to make a long-ago conflict come alive, The Great War: Western Front is ambitious and complex. Like the actual war, it requires patience, determination, and the ability to suffer repeated failures to make a small amount of progress. It isn’t so much a hardcore sim that novices can’t decipher it. The problem for me is more with the subject matter, combined with the weight of many systems. Victories never feel jubilant. In World War 1, winning was a matter of losing slightly less than the enemy. History lovers and wargamers will find a lot to enjoy, but for me, playing The Great War: Western Front felt a bit too much like homework and not enough like fun.

Gameblog - French - 7 / 10

The Great War Western Front is a unique game.  The game seems to be constantly juggling between historical veracity and the obligation to make it a playful work.

IGN - 7 / 10

The Great War: Western Front is a deep RTS that shows a lot of attention to historical authenticity, though that can certainly bog things down.

Wccftech - 7 / 10

The Great War: Western Front is an interesting strategy game that delves into its setting for better and worse. Offering various strategic and tactical opportunities provides a lot for strategy game fans. However, the glacially slow pace will undeniably turn some people off, despite being very much due to the World War One setting. If there is one key issue, the AI is almost like a relic of previous games, seemingly not following the same rules as the player. Other issues with pathfinding also feature. However, despite these issues, I can't help but admit the game is compelling.

PC Gamer - 68 / 100

The Great War: Western Front is a bleak, conservative attempt to capture the brutal battles of World War I.

PCGamesN - 6 / 10

Grim-faced dedication to history has produced a rules-heavy RTS that's rarely fun or strategically rewarding – a highly accurate depiction of the First World War, in other words, and a success in that respect at least.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

An accomplished interplay of tactical and strategic challenges with some dissatisfying but thematically appropriate compromises, and poor performance.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Great War: Western Front (Petroglyph Games, 30 March 2023) - WWI RTS/RTT from developers of C&C: Remastered, update: initial reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Great War: Western Front (Petroglyph Games) - WWI RTS/RTT from developers of C&C: Remastered, update: initial reviews from OpenCritic posted