My Dad has been in hospital, turns out he has dementia.

gamer.tv

One of those ‘we all know, but don’t want to say.’

He is fundamentally OK, but it’s just sad to know there is only one outcome, but whether it will be rapid or over a longer period of time is the unknown element. My mum is very pragmatic and is coping well it appears from the outside.

For the internet strangers, he’s always been an amazing Dad, been a guide and blueprint for how I’ve wanted to live my life, and as a great role model, came from very little and worked incredibly hard to be a fantastic person. 

It also makes me feel very glad that a few years ago, at Christmas, I wrote my immediate family letters to say thank you to them - so none of this feels unsaid. 

I just hope he’s OK.

• Like 7

So sorry bud. My uncle just died recently with Lewy Body Dementia and it was really a crushing thing to experience somebody you know so well slip away over time. I wish there were words of meaningful comfort, but you are fully aware of where this is going :( 

42 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

One of those ‘we all know, but don’t want to say.’

He is fundamentally OK, but it’s just sad to know there is only one outcome, but whether it will be rapid or over a longer period of time is the unknown element. My mum is very pragmatic and is coping well it appears from the outside.

For the internet strangers, he’s always been an amazing Dad, been a guide and blueprint for how I’ve wanted to live my life, and as a great role model, came from very little and worked incredibly hard to be a fantastic person. 

It also makes me feel very glad that a few years ago, at Christmas, I wrote my immediate family letters to say thank you to them - so none of this feels unsaid. 

I just hope he’s OK.

Sorry to hear that how old is he?

Really sorry to hear that. Just try to enjoy the remaining time you have together. An extra phone call here and there is always a plus.

My wife went through it with her dad. He had Alzheimer's that progressed pretty rapidly. He went from no longer driving to dieing in less than 2 years. His mother also had it but she suffered in a nursing home for 10 long years.