Spriggan is back! June 18, 2022 on Netflix

I'm hoping this turns out good, I'm a big fan of the original anime film (based on the manga series). Great, hand-drawn, 2D animation, fun characters (especially the villains), great action, and an excellent soundtrack from Hajime Mizoguchi (Yoko Kanno's now ex-husband). I'm definitely interested if this can reach the original anime film's level, which was big dumb fun but done well.

@Greatoneshere I watched the first episode of this. It may only be six episodes but they are over 40 minutes each

Now I know there are a lot of CG anime haters out there but if the above videos are any indication it seems like the faces are hand drawn the rest is CG. I'm not sure. But I think the look of the show is very convincing. So far it seems like it's got a lot of that old school anime ridiculousness, hyper violence, absurd bad guys (reminds me of Ninja Scroll kind of). But yeah so far so good!

• Thanks 1

I've been waiting 20+ years to see this franchise get more content created since the first movie was released... And, this series is okay. The action and choreography is great. But I was hoping for more creativity and emphasis to be put on various OoPArts. Maybe it's just that the Noah's Arc story was such a fantastic concept, and since the original movie filled in a lot of gaps that this series episode had to kinda skip over that the rest of the show felt a little underwhelming in comparison? In any case, Noah being episode 2 definitely made the rest of the series feel slow.

I don't know if there's any more content to be adapted. But I sure do like this universe and would love to see another seasons worth of episodes created (even though Netflix just dropped their animation department).

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I've been waiting 20+ years to see this franchise get more content created since the first movie was released... And, this series is okay. The action and choreography is great. But I was hoping for more creativity and emphasis to be put on various OoPArts. Maybe it's just that the Noah's Arc story was such a fantastic concept, and since the original movie filled in a lot of gaps that this series episode had to kinda skip over that the rest of the show felt a little underwhelming in comparison? In any case, Noah being episode 2 definitely made the rest of the series feel slow.

I don't know if there's any more content to be adapted. But I sure do like this universe and would love to see another seasons worth of episodes created (even though Netflix just dropped their animation department).

This is where I'm at. My brothers and I were excited we were getting more Spriggan at all, but hearing from multiple places that it's okay at best is a bit disheartening. There's so much good content already out there to watch that I still haven't seen and with the limited time I have I have to be judicious.

8 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Netflix has no problem licensing animation out from other places which I believe this is. It's up to David Productions to make more. If anything it sounds like this was a miracle to get this greenlit in the first place since the animation director even sounds surprised these episodes were being made. But if people are passionate about seeing this maybe they will make more. It's anime though, so even good ones never get more episodes.

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

My middle brother, who like my youngest brother and me is a fan of the original anime film, has watched a bunch of the episodes and said it's solid/okay. He said not close to the film but at times episodic and enjoyable.

If the video is any indication these episodes are adapted from the Manga. Heck the guy is even storyboarding straight from the Manga. I'm actually glad I didn't see the movie because this show sounds more faithful to the source material.

• Thanks 1