Blood West - an "immersive" stealth/retro FPS set in the "wicked wild west", initial reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1647372962
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Blood West is an immersive stealth FPS horror set in a wicked Wild West. Brought back to life by strange native spirits, you will explore and scavenge, build up your arsenal and gain powerful perks, hunt your enemies quietly or meet them guns blazing. Take back the frontier, gunslinger!

Blood West is a spooky Western with great ideas (Eurogamer)

I should probably point out, just to avoid confusion, that this is not Weird West, the supernatural horror Western immersive sim with a heavy bias towards stealth. This is Blood West, the supernatural horror Western immersive sim with a heavy bias towards stealth. Okay, they’re pretty easy to tell apart, since Blood West is an FPS, but that is part of the game’s biggest issue, which is visibility.

Not only has it popped into early access just a few weeks before the release of a game that sounds very similar on paper and has had a high profile launch on Game Pass, but it’s a retro shooter at a time when there are a lot of retro shooters about and it doesn’t really stand out from the pack. I love a good immersive sim, but I’m pretty cold on straight up first-person shooters these days and it was only a friend’s recommendation that brought Blood West to my attention. It’s why this article exists, I wanted to pay the favour forward and bring the game to the attention of you lovely lot. Go check it out and, a few months down the line, you can relish being an insufferable hipster because you played Blood West before it was cool.

Not to be confused with these other similarly-themed titles:

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1588643369
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

When a tragic turn of events sets one man down a path of supernatural chaos and revenge, he must brutally hunt down all those who wronged him. Fight and survive through 8 unique story-based scenarios, and try your hand at 40 individually designed turn-based combat missions

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1650400052
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Hard West 2 is a supernatural journey to the dark heart of the West. With a gun full of lead and a fistful of witchcraft, raise an outlaw posse and chase down the devil to take back what’s yours.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1649173883
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

A dark menace consumes the Old West. In solo or coop, fight with style in visceral, explosive combat against bloodthirsty monstrosities. Eradicate the vampiric hordes with your lightning-fueled gauntlet and become a Wild West Superhero.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1648756593
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Survive and unveil the mysteries of the Weird West through the intertwined destinies of its unusual heroes in an immersive sim from the co-creators of Dishonored and Prey.

Wait, I found ANOTHER one!

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1640117658
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Descend into the grim and gritty world of Purgatory in this cover-based shooter which combines the fluidity of twin-stick controls and tactical cover usage. Dodge behind cover as you try to outgun your enemies in the unknown procedurally generated hunting grounds.

pcJTMqDzEnwXvV8Z3AXXUj-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Become an undead cowboy in this indie horror

If anything, Blood West is an anti-survival game. Death is a fundamental part of my new lease on unlife, as a charismatically voiced totem so frequently reminds me. Every time you die, you gain a Soul Flaw which probably does something terrible. I honestly don't know what, not because I haven't died – I have, a lot – but because I've built into loot traits that have given me a steady supply of gold coins that prevent one Soul Flaw apiece. My soul really doesn't need any more flaws, thank you very much, so I try not to go anywhere without one of these coins. This is another cool way that my build and play style has shaped my playthrough, which is exactly what I want from an immersive sim.

I'm only a few hours in, but Blood West is already one of the most promising games I've played this year. It's clear that developer Hyperstrange is taking its Steam Early Access period seriously, too. The latest update added some welcome graphics settings plus some new vendor items that have already saved my bacon, and the new scenario coming in a future patch sounds great. I've already gotten more than $15 of fun out of it, and I'm sure I'll get plenty more as I experiment with different builds and routes

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Blood West - an "immersive" stealth/retro FPS set in the "wicked wild west", initial reviews from OpenCritic posted

Game Information

Game Title: Blood West

Platforms:

• PC (Dec 5, 2023)

Developer:  Hyperstrange

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 85 average - 100% recommended

Critic Reviews
God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 9 / 10

Blood West doesn't pull any punches and is more than happy to kill you over and over again, but it makes overcoming the odds so satisfying.

Screen Rant - Leo Faierman - 4.5 / 5

But perhaps Blood West’s strongest component is its exploration, and the pull to devour every inch of its creepy map design can be reason enough to turn the game into a 30-hour experience or more. The amount of that time spent dying and backtracking are all part of the hellish journey, but the difficulty is balanced such that gamers of all stripes should find enough equipment and upgrades to power their way through. For a combat-heavy horror game, Blood West focuses on the most important details and leaves the rest to rot, and their full release version delivers one of the year's best surprises.

Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 9 / 10

Blood West is a spine-chilling, grim, and bloody take on the American West, with stealth-focussed combat and non-linear gameplay that shines through the muck of spilled blood and zombie guts. Monsters, curses, and death await you in this brutal quest to save the bleak frontier.

3DNews - Мила Пономарева - Russian - 8 / 10

Atmospheric, complex, and addictive, Blood West will definitely appeal to fans of immersive projects.

GamingBolt - Shunal Doke - 8 / 10

Blood West is an excellent game for fans of stealth games. It makes use of classic design ideas from games as wide ranging as the seminal Thief titles, to more modern ones like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in order to shape its mechanics and general gameplay loop. The progression system encourages exploration, which is made all the better thanks to excellent level design.