Housemarque is working on a new IP

Brian

returnal.jpg?w=1200&strip=all
VENTUREBEAT.COM

Returnal's leaders answered questions about their craft in the winners' room at the DICE Awards during the DICE Summit in Las Vegas.

Question: Right now we’re seeing something of a sea change in video games and how they’re made. Sony recently bought Bungie. You’re obviously under the Sony umbrella. Earlier you talked about maintaining your identity and who you are as a studio. In a time where Sony especially seems to want more live service games, more things like this, how do you react to that? Are you interested in making live service games? And in a time where games are changing, the people playing them are changing, how do you hold on to that identity?

Kuittinen: Well, the jury is still out there. We’re one of the very last dinosaurs making arcade games. Nex Machina, a few years ago, was very much a shoot-’em-up game in the style of the coin-ops from the ‘80s. That’s sort of a clue. But it’s interesting. We’ve been thinking about that. We had our stint working on multiplayer games, because a few years back it seemed like you needed to have some kind of multiplayer experience. We tried that, and we really didn’t do it as well. But it’s early days with us starting a new game, a new IP, concepting it out. We’ll see what comes with that.

I'm down with whatever they do. Returnal was so fucking good and I'll be coming back to that several times, at least.

But I gotta say: I've seen people talk about taking the foundation of Alienation and doing something live service out of that. Alienation is really fucking fun, it's a great loot shooter, and loot games are popular and addictive. And Alienation works just fine solo (unlike, say, Helldivers, which is fun as hell but you need some help). If they did something like that, I'd be excited as hell and first in line.