Unemployment down to 3.9%, October/November jobs revised up

0ec767d0-6f0d-11ec-9bae-57f9cabfeab5
FINANCE.YAHOO.COM

The U.S. Labor Department posted its latest monthly jobs report Friday morning.

The unemployment rate improved more than expected to 3.9%, or the best level since February 2020's 50-year low of 3.5% before the pandemic. And the labor force participation rate was upwardly revised by a tick to 61.9% for November and held at this level in December. The size of the civilian labor force remained lower by more than 2 million compared to pre-pandemic

levels, however. 

And indeed, heading into the December jobs report, other economic data have been upbeat in registering the labor market's momentum. During the survey week for the monthly jobs report, weekly jobless claims came in just above 200,000 — or at a level below the 2019 weekly average from before the pandemic. And ADP reported on Wednesday that private-sector employers added back 807,000 jobs in December, coming in at nearly double the consensus expectation and marking the biggest rise since May. 

At this point, there's no point in paying attention to the most recent month's numbers since they keep getting revised up, including the big-ass underestimation last summer.

22 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

DO gig economy jobs coun t towards these numbers? I personally only know ONE person who isn't working at the moment but this is also a person in his 40's who to my knowledge has NEVER had a job.

Your friend wouldn't even count, they have to be currently actively looking for a job to count.

I would think gig employees work the same. I don't believe they count at all, but if they're not actively looking work, they for sure wouldn't count.