Epic Games has acquired Harmonix

Brian

22 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Has Fortnite's popularity started to drop yet? Their merchandise is EVERYWHERE at the mall I went to a couple weeks ago. Just feels like it should be at that super mainstream point by now where it's suddenly "not cool" anymore. 

As I understand it, its popularity has been waning for a while now. Of course, at the level of popularity it's currently at, that still means there's tons of people playing, but I think Minecraft usurped it a while back.

vBephJA.png

BoGlfQ9.png

Google Trends is hardly a super accurate way to follow how much money each game is making, it is a ballpark-ish look at how each game is doing in the eyes of the mainstream. Even with Minecraft losing steam over the last 12 months, it continues to remain ahead of Fortnite, despite Fortnite being free.

Based on years and years of data from other games, I think we can say with at least some confidence that this is a normal trend for mega-popular products, super high spikes bringing numbers up, then a long, gradual taper.

As a bonus comparison, Roblox has also been on the rise!

SShbmT3.png

While Fortnite is far from dead, I don't think it's going to be pulling in company-growth money on its own for much longer, if it still is. This is the point I've been waiting for to see how Epic deals with not having unlimited money rolling in: How long can they keep weekly free games going? How long can they buy out exclusives, buy out companies? Will they continue to "improve" to the Epic Store experience? (The new Quick Launcher feature is nice, not amazing but nice.)

Epic came out swinging with a big dick, but now that their dick is getting soft, how will they use it?

20 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

As I understand it, its popularity has been waning for a while now. Of course, at the level of popularity it's currently at, that still means there's tons of people playing, but I think Minecraft usurped it a while back.

vBephJA.png

BoGlfQ9.png

Google Trends is hardly a super accurate way to follow how much money each game is making, it is a ballpark-ish look at how each game is doing in the eyes of the mainstream. Even with Minecraft losing steam over the last 12 months, it continues to remain ahead of Fortnite, despite Fortnite being free.

Based on years and years of data from other games, I think we can say with at least some confidence that this is a normal trend for mega-popular products, super high spikes bringing numbers up, then a long, gradual taper.

As a bonus comparison, Roblox has also been on the rise!

SShbmT3.png

While Fortnite is far from dead, I don't think it's going to be pulling in company-growth money on its own for much longer, if it still is. This is the point I've been waiting for to see how Epic deals with not having unlimited money rolling in: How long can they keep weekly free games going? How long can they buy out exclusives, buy out companies? Will they continue to "improve" to the Epic Store experience? (The new Quick Launcher feature is nice, not amazing but nice.)

Epic came out swinging with a big dick, but now that their dick is getting soft, how will they use it?

Or UE5 money starts rolling in and they continue to do nothing!

• True 1

15 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I wonder what the demographic of kids with Game Pass is, as that's largely still the main audience.

I mean if I was a kid and could have had gamepass there wouldn’t have been enough mops in the world to wipe the floors I would have creamed so hard. 

33 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I wonder what the demographic of kids with Game Pass is, as that's largely still the main audience.

Well if they want to play with their friends they need XBL Gold but then of course they probably already have the game by now from the time it was added to game pass. But this would be an enticing deal for some other kid I suppose! :p