That DC-Naver partnership seems to be working out. A new live action Batman adaptation in the works on YouTube...

DC-Webtoon-webcomics.png?w=889
VARIETY.COM

DC characters will be featured in several upcoming webcomics series, through a new deal between WarnerMedia's DC and Webtoon.

Looks like DC is going to work on some new series from their existing properties that they'll distribute through Webtoons. If you aren't familiar with Webtoons, it's got to be the biggest dedicated digital comic distributor out there. Their user base is some 100 million readers, many of whom are actually willing to pay for individual chapters. I can't think of anyone with a larger reader base outside of probably like Amazon, Apple, and Google.

They mainly deal with indie comics, Japanese manga, and Korean manhwa. I think their most high profile franchise was a great Star Wars comic that ran a number of years back that Disney has since pulled from the platform. That said, they've had some breakout hits, some of which have received anime adaptation like Tower of God on Crunchyroll or live action series like Sweet Home on Netflix.

It'll be interesting to see how far this goes. Webtoons and their vertical scrolling comics is easily the best way to read comics on a mobile device. Some of my favorites comics are the ones that make great use of the verticality like Hellper or Gosu. I'll keep an eye out for these when they start to land.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Is there any significant difference between this and an app like Comixology other than the vertical scrolling?

Nope. Just different business models. Webtoons mostly relies on ad revenue, so the bulk of their current catalog is free. The ads come at the end of the comic, before you get into comments. Webtoons does a lot to try to foster a community among its readers, so higher engagement from your readers comes with bigger perks. They also have this Fast Pass where there's the current chapter that's free to everyone and then another 3-5 chapters you can buy for 50¢ each. This works best for serial series since knowing the continuation of a good cliff hanger is only a couple of quarters away is a fairly good incentive to pony up for it.

Comixology is mostly focused on digital issues that cost about the same as print. They also have a $5.99 monthly subscription that grants you access to a library of comics.

• 3 weeks later...

The first Webtoons series is up...

2BatmanFamilyAdven_mobile_landingpage.jp
WWW.WEBTOONS.COM

Batman needs a break. But with new vigilante Duke Thomas moving into Wayne Manor and an endless supply of adopted, fostered, and biological superhero children to manage, Bruce Wayne is going to have...

...and it's a Batman slice of life series taking place inside Wayne Manor. I'll give it a shot.

20 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I thought the same. If DC's plan is to tap some more untraditional talent and tackle these characters from a new perspective, then I'm all for it.

And honestly if comics publishers want to get more people reading books, they need to do more to ensure their most popular characters are accessible to a broader audience.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like this comic is now getting a live action adaptation on YouTube...

wayne-red-hood-1633477334051.jpg?width=1
WWW.IGN.COM

Webtoons and Ismahawk will release an official live-action miniseries based on the hit Batman comic Wayne Family Adventures.

There's even already a teaser out...

• Ghost_MH changed the title to That DC-Naver partnership seems to be working out. A new live action Batman adaptation in the works on YouTube...