9/11 families to Biden: don't attend any 20th anniversary events unless the "Saudi link" intelligence is declassified

210630-nyc-911-september11-attack-2001-a
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Nearly 1,800 victims’ relatives, first responders and survivors are calling on Biden to refrain from attending any memorials over his refusal to release Sept. 11 documents.

Nearly 1,800 Americans directly affected by the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks are opposing President Joe Biden’s participation in any memorial events this year unless he upholds his pledge to declassify U.S. government evidence that they believe may show a link between Saudi Arabian leaders and the attacks.

The victims’ family members, first responders and survivors will release a statement Friday calling on Biden to skip 20th-anniversary events in New York and Shanksville, Pennsylvania, and at the Pentagon unless he releases the documents, which they believe implicate Saudi officials in supporting the acts of terrorism. The group says that as a candidate Biden pledged to be more transparent and release as much information as possible but that his administration has since then ignored their letters and requests.

No argument from me there whatsoever!

That article says that Biden pledged to declassify these documents, but there's no link and a quick google search didn't find anything. I suppose it's slightly beside the point, but I do think there's some difference between Biden not doing something that other Presidents of both parties refused to do and Biden not doing something he said he would do.

I'm sure the calculus is pretty simple. If there's no evidence of Saudi connections, it'd be an easy decision to release the info and exonerate an ally. If there's any connection at all, you gain almost nothing by revealing it, but you really piss off a ally that we continue to deem as a necessary evil.

Personally, I'd love it if we could stop treating the Saudis as being so crucial. There's a lot beside 9/11 that we should be hammering them on.