Oxenfree II: Lost Signals - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Oxenfree II: Lost Signals - Announcement Trailer
  • 1 month later...
image001.png
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Oxenfree's follow up doubles down on the original's best elements

After the preview, the developers explained why they opted for older protagonists when the first Oxenfree had worked so well with high schoolers - just as several other big hits in the genre, like Life is Strange, have done. “I think it’s mostly to tell a new sort of coming of age story, but at a different point in the actual age of the characters in the game,” they say. “In the first game, it was high schoolers who were about to leave school and become adults and had the anxiety and the concerns about what that would mean. And then in particular, Alex trying to both get over accepting this new stepbrother coming into her life. Whereas now, these characters [in Oxenfree 2] are much older, but they also have their own life changes that they're going through. And being able to filter that through this very strange, frightening, supernatural world is this much bigger looming problem that they have to solve. There's just a great opportunity to tell a similar story and tone but touch on many different themes too. They're looking back on the choices that they've made and wondering if those were the right choices, to get them the life that they want. A big part of the game is looking backwards.”

Oxenfree2-hero5001.jpg
WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

A coming of age story with a difference, as Riley deals with a new supernatural crisis. Here's how Night School has enhanced their indie sequel.

On a surface level, Oxenfree II: Lost Signals might appear to be more of the same, weaving a new story in the same vein as the original game. Night School are creating a more ambitious sequel, though. There’s more ways to work your way through the story, more places and variations you can end up at, and likely a more mature tone from the characters you meet. It should make your journey through the story feel all the more personal and unique, and I can’t wait to experience mine.

ttfqffGUYiE6xGmH4rEhwW-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals takes you to a bigger setting with a walkie-talkie, time tears, and older protagonists

Time tears allow you to explore a location in another timeline and see it as it was in the past. The Supernatural side of Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals will open up the setting in interesting in intriguing and mysterious ways, and I can hardly wait to discover everything that awaits us as we venture through Camena. From a storytelling perspective, as Krankel expresses, the ghostly events and strange goings can also act as a way to explore the characters stories and problems in unique ways, which is one of reasons the team at Night School Studio couldn't wait to return to Oxenfree's world to create another experience with new protagonists. 

"We realized that all of the supernatural events of an Oxenfree game are almost like holding up a mirror to the characters that are living through those problems," Krankel says. "And either through ghostly events, time loops, etcetera, we really get to dive into the singular personal challenges of them. And so for us, it really was less about like, 'Oh, we have to continue any particular characters story', and more about like, 'Oh, let's introduce new stories and find new ways to have people deal with these issues against a really kind of scary backdrop. I think we love this world and would like to continue even beyond this one making more games in this space."

oxenfree-ii-key-art-16x9-web-1.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We got a first look at Oxenfree 2 in action, and it's looking a lot like the original Oxenfree (which is good news for fans of Oxenfree).

Though Hines is open in saying that the overall plot is similar to the first game, the hope is that it's still a new story told in a new way. For me, the most interesting thing about Oxenfree was how it juxtaposed a small human drama against the huge and supernatural. That Oxenfree II seems to be exploring the latter a bit more makes me curious about what Riley and Jacob's ultimate deals are. More importantly, as a woman in her 30s, I'm intrigued to see just what Night School Studio think a woman in her 30s having a coming-of-age moment looks like.

It's too early to say what the future holds for this developer in their post-Netflix world, but in the here and now, at least, everything seems to be very much business as usual. If this early glimpse at Oxenfree II is anything to go by, we're looking at more classic Night School when it launches next year.

oxenfreeii-blogroll-1633385470809.jpg?wi
WWW.IGN.COM

Oxenfree 2 isn’t looking to break the mold, but instead offer players more choice, and depth to those choices, while maintaining the series’ spooky aesthetic and charming writing.

My short time seeing Oxenfree II certainly indicated that there’s a lot more than just walking left and right and talking. As Night School noted, Oxenfree isn’t transforming into some unexpected genre, unrecognizable from its predecessor. Instead, it’s aiming to deepen the promise of player agency and choice within an authored world and story, and do that in ways that extend beyond choosing dialogue options during a conversation. I, of course, still need to play Oxenfree II, and see how that sense of choice extends to the full adventure, but the promise of its expanded potential seemed clear in just this brief section. I hope the rest of Camena is just as memorable a place to explore.

oxenfree-2-lost-signals.jpeg
COLLIDER.COM

The sequel to the cult hit is cultivating all kinds of vibes.

In its gameplay style, emphasis on character development, promise of gamer influence, art style, and ambient music, OXENFREE II: Lost Signals is already presenting a video game world of sheer immersion. Based on this one selection of gameplay alone, if you loved the first one or are simply looking for a new, unique, daring indie game, this self-contained sequel feels like one to get easily lost in.

3887282-oxenfreeiikeyart.jpeg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Set five years after the events of the first game, Oxenfree II: Lost Signals tells the story of an woman who's concerned about her future.

And to that end, Oxenfree II is being designed with replayability in mind, a departure from the intended structure for the original Oxenfree. It doesn't look like players will likely find much incentive in replaying puzzles they've already solved (they seem to be very simple), but the story for Oxenfree II can play out in different ways and the setting for the game is large enough that players won't actually be able to do everything in a single playthrough. Much like being an adult in real life, you'll have to prioritize between Riley's job, her relationships with other people (I asked, and sadly there's no romance options for Riley), and her personal curiosities and passions.

"In Oxenfree II, the map is about twice the size of the first one," Krankel said. "And once the first act concludes, things start to open up quite a bit in terms of where you can go and how you make your way through the story. So you might be heading up on the west side of the map to place a transmitter, and because of that, there's other things happening in the middle or the east side of the map that are also happening that you're missing. For Oxenfree II, we really wanted to lean into this idea that just because you're the hero of the game, it doesn't mean that the world won't move on without you--you're going to miss a lot of stuff. There's no possible way to make it through one playthrough and see everything or meet everybody--the game is designed to ensure that your choices forcibly cut off other choices."

oxenfree-2-key-art.jpg
GAMERANT.COM

Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals will look and play similarly to Night School Studio's first game, but the time-travel mechanics will make a big difference.

In addition to the new time mechanics, there's one other major difference between the first game and the sequel. Like Oxenfree, the developer's other narrative game Afterparty also follows a couple of young adults as they compete in drinking games against Satan to escape Hell. It highlighted the studio's clear talents: writing realistic young characters figuring out how to adjust to major life changes (which may be a bit of an understatement for two kids trapped in the underworld), and it's something that the studio has become known for over the years in the indie sphere. So is Night School Studio losing what attracted players to its first two games the most?

Oxenfree-2-Lost-Signals.jpg
WWW.NME.COM

How Night School Studios is making its anticipated sequel, Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals, feel older and wiser and more introspective than ever

The pressure of being a confused adult in today’s world, compounded with the pressure of making the most of your brief time on this failing planet, might strike a bit too close to home for those of you that like your video games to grant you a brief reprieve of escapism. But we think the direct, well-written, and endlessly intriguing way that Night School Studios goes about making it all work – and seamlessly link together – is nothing short of genius. The fact the studio is even making us loop back to the original game to get some more context and insight into its villains and their motivations shines a light on just how much the theme of looking back to go forward permeates this game.

Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals looks primed to be the first game’s older, bolder and more neurotic sibling… and we can’t wait to play it.

Oxenfree didn’t need a sequel. The supernatural campfire tale of troubled teens stumbling across a ghostly rift is a gripping, self-contained horror story. But the moment Oxenfree II: Lost Signals was revealed, I realised some of the threads a sequel could explore, and got excited all over again about spelunking through haunted caves and getting to know a fresh cast of unwitting paranormal investigators. While a brief hands-off presentation can’t say how much of a sequel Lost Signals is, it does make one thing very clear: Oxenfree II expands on the original in every way.

upqLLTcuJ4Rt7yAHnsBswi-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Spooky tech and masked gangs haunt a creepy island in Night School Studio's sequel.

From the look of the preview, Oxenfree 2's visual style and atmosphere carry over relatively unchanged. Night School says that almost everyone from the original development team has returned to make this sequel which is why the island of Camena has the same gloomy ghost vibes of Edward Island. Traversing the island will also be more dangerous and Riley will have to choose different paths to take—try and jump across the rocky chasm, or try and find a safer but slower way around?

Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals looks to be another chilling and thrilling entry in the series. I'm all for more haunted technology and the walkie-talkies look to bring something eerily new to the game. Lost Signals is out sometime in 2022, and already feels like an adventure that'll leave you with major goosebumps.

1280x720.jpg
WWW.NINTENDOLIFE.COM

Walking, talking, and walkie-talkie-ing - The haunting, narratively experimental Oxenfree came out back in 2016 to rapturo...

So far, Oxenfree II: Lost Signals looks like it's shaping up to follow much of the same vibe that the original Oxenfree did, and indeed, the developers have even gone back to Oxenfree to add interesting updates that tie the two games together narratively.

It’s not a spinoff, or a totally different sequel, then; it’s a similar setting with new characters, new mechanics, new themes to explore, and a new colour palette, too, taking the game away from the green-and-red of the last game and into an autumnal orange. Frankly, that’s exactly what we were hoping for: a more polished, experienced take on the timey-wimey triangle horror of the first game.

oxenfree-2-preview_feature.jpg
WWW.SHACKNEWS.COM

Night School Studio's Oxenfree: Lost Signals looks to take the series in a more mature direction.

Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals may be the second installment in a series, but the developer’s are making a conscious effort to make it feel unique from the first game, both thematically and in gameplay. There are many questions about the story, world, and characters, but we’ll have to wait until Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals launches next year to get that answer.

oxenfree-2-lost-signals.jpg?resize=1000%
TWINFINITE.NET

In 2016, Night School Studio struck gold with Oxenfree, as their debut supernatural adventure game was a hit with fans thanks to its quirky characters, unique dialogue mechanics, and enthralling mysteries. Five years later, the studio hopes to pick up right where it left off with Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals. Recently, I attended a preview […]

In 2016, Night School Studio struck gold with Oxenfree, as their debut supernatural adventure game was a hit with fans thanks to its quirky characters, unique dialogue mechanics, and enthralling mysteries. Five years later, the studio hopes to pick up right where it left off with Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals.

Recently, I attended a preview event for the game that detailed all of the features and gameplay elements players can expect in Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals. Across that hour and a half, it was clear that the sequel wants to build upon the success and foundation laid by the original while also trying to set itself apart via new mechanics.

Oxenfree-II-Key-Art-16x9-web-1.jpg
WEGOTTHISCOVERED.COM

Oxenfree II: Lost Signals might have been delayed until 2022, but it looks like it'll be worth the wait for fans of the spooky series.

While we don’t have a ton of details at this point in time, it seems Lost Signals is connected to the first game, which developer Night School Studio said will be done in a rather interesting way. During the presentation, it was revealed that rather than having these “connections” appear in the second game, the team instead chose to put them into the first game. That’s right — despite being over five years old, the first Oxenfree recently received a patch that ties into the world and story of Lost Signals. Though it remains unclear exactly how everything will tie together, it’s certainly an interesting way to connect stories and encourage players to check out the first game in the series.

Oxenfree II was aiming to release later this year, but like many other games, a delay was necessary to apply the finishing touches. It looked great when it was first announced and the early demo footage looks even better, so my mind is awash with ideas of what the team will do with the extra time.

Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals promises that same delicious spookiness (Eurogamer)

It's stuff like that which marks this series out, I think. A different kind of preoccupation, a desire to notice different sorts of details. I remember playing through the first Oxenfree and just messing around with the radio that the characters carry with them - a radio that returns here. Spinning the dial and hearing static and spooky voices, sure, but also creepy old music, proper echoes of a distant place that seemed dark yet tangible - broadcasts that definitely came from a specific somewhere else.

I guess I'm spooking myself just thinking about it. And to get that spooked from a Discord presentation is probably a pretty good sign, I reckon.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Oxenfree II: Lost Signals - Information Thread, update: multiple new previews posted
  • 11 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Oxenfree II: Lost Signals - Information Thread, update: release delay to 2023 announced

This is sure to disappoint all 4 people who were eagerly anticipating it.

I'm not saying Oxenfree wasn't a decent game (walking sim) but I can't think of anyone who might have taken a day off for this one. To back up what @Xbob42 said, it's a weird thing to do these days. In fact, it would be much more notable if a developer made one of these images with a paragraph saying, "Hey just a heads up, we're releasing our fucking game on time for a change."

7 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

This is sure to disappoint all 4 people who were eagerly anticipating it.

I'm not saying Oxenfree wasn't a decent game (walking sim) but I can't think of anyone who might have taken a day off for this one.

I bought Oxenfree because I heard good things about it, but I found it to be yet another overrated indie darling. It’s barely even a game, it’s more of a 2D interactive story. It’s a little interesting at times, but that’s about the extent of it. I don’t really have an interest in the sequel, but I’ll still probably get it when it’s dirt cheap since I have the first one.

8 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I bought Oxenfree because I heard good things about it, but I found it to be yet another overrated indie darling. It’s barely even a game, it’s more of a 2D interactive story. It’s a little interesting at times, but that’s about the extent of it. I don’t really have an interest in the sequel, but I’ll still probably get it when it’s dirt cheap since I have the first one.

I think I did it on game pass. It was ok. I actually found the story pretty intriguing at first, but I don't think the payoff was satisfying enough to justify all the (extremely slow) walking back and forth.

• 6 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Oxenfree II: Lost Signals - Information Thread, update: 12 July 2023 release announced
  • 2 months later...

Game Information

Game Title: Oxenfree II: Lost Signals

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Jul 12, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jul 12, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Jul 12, 2023)
  • PC (Jul 12, 2023)

Publisher: Netflix

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 78 average - 76% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 9.5 / 10

It's not often a game keeps its claws in after the credits roll, but Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals will stay with me for much longer than just another playthrough.

Try Hard Guides - Christian Harrison - 9.5 / 10

From start to finish Oxenfree II is able to evolve in every aspect from the original. Night School Studio has created another exceptionally spooky story that ends with an even stronger emotional gut punch than the original. The puzzles are fun, if not challenging, and the way the game reacts to players' choices is not only a boon to the story but also seems as if it could encourage several playthroughs without getting stale.

But Why Tho? - Kate Sanchez - 9 / 10

Oxenfree II: Lost Signals' story is moving, moody, and meticulously crafted in line with your choices. Immersive in every way, the gameplay is deeply tied to the game's narrative, never feeling disjointed even as you move from chasing frequencies to traversing the land, and all of that succeeds because of how you, as Riley, fit into the story.

Digital Spy - Ben Rayner - 4.5 / 5

Oxenfree II: Lost Signals is as unique as its predecessor and once again shows that Night School Studio is onto something with their 'walk and talk' mechanic. We can't wait to go back and dive in once more, and can't recommend the game enough.

Gaming Nexus - Elliot Hilderbrand - 9 / 10

For only being a four-hour-long game Oxenfree II: Lost Signals has a lot to say. A narrative that is more intricate than its predecessor, while still holding onto the framework that made Oxenfree stand out. Lost Signals makes you care about these people. The voice acting goes above and beyond to help drive that home. Like the first title, Lost Signals feels unique in the video game space. With a few minor hiccups, and one upsetting one, Oxenfree II: Lost Signals is, without hesitation, worth a second and third playthrough.

GamingBolt - Shubhankar Parijat - 9 / 10

You can roll credits on Oxenfree 2 in 4-5 hours, but every minute of that brief runtime makes a lasting impression. It spins a captivating tale that masterfully balances its horror elements against the story's more intimate side, and combines that with a simple yet engaging gameplay loop, with an excellent dialogue system serving as the centerpiece. The end result is a short yet memorable game that you definitely shouldn't miss out on.

Nintendo Life - Oliver Reynolds - 9 / 10

Oxenfree II: Lost Signals is an excellent sequel that takes the story in a significantly different direction without losing what made the original such an essential piece of storytelling. The sharper focus on fewer characters makes for a much better-paced experience without the need to juggle multiple relationships. Pacing issues do crop up if you happen to take a wrong turn but, in spite of that, Oxenfree II still provides an intriguing, suspenseful mystery that fans and newcomers will both adore. Be sure to play the original first, though.

NintendoWorldReport - Joe Devader - 9 / 10

Luckily the game is constantly auto saving so no progress was lost, but any crash is still frustrating nonetheless. Getting past those though, I found this second entry into the story of Edwards Island to be worthwhile. The world feels dark and mysterious, the voice actors are all killing their roles, and for those who have played the original game you will probably walk away feeling satisfied with at least one of the possible endings the game offers, I know I was.

PSX Brasil - Paulo Roberto Montanaro - Portuguese - 90 / 100

Oxenfree II: Lost Signals not only honors its predecessor, but it also justifies its existence with a very well-developed narrative maturity. If the simple mechanics aren't appealing or even demanding for action fans, surely the well-written branching story can convince non-believers.

PowerUp! - Jam Walker - 9 / 10

OXENFREE II: Lost Signals is an immaculately crafted adventure with endearing characters and engaging drama that resonated with me a lot more than I expected it would.

Shacknews - Ozzie Mejia - 9 / 10

Night School's writing can't be praised enough, because the team is able to be whatever it needs to be in the moment. It can be a supernatural thriller when the time calls for it. It can be a coming-of-age tale when the moment is right. It can go from buddy comedy to buddy drama in an instant. All of it works, and it's a credit to the writers and the voice actors. Oxenfree 2's story will put players through the emotional wringer, but it's a ride that's worth taking.

Siliconera - Leigh Price - 9 / 10

Oxenfree 2 is a follow-up that has been worth the wait. If you were a fan of the first game, and I certainly was, this will give you more of what you loved.

TechRaptor - Courtney Ehrenhofler - 9 / 10

Oxenfree II: Lost Signals is a fantastic follow-up to an excellent game that's sure to please fans of the first. Riley is a relatable protagonist, the writing is strong and the dial on the horror factor has been turned up to 11. The only thing missing is a quick travel option.

The Games Machine - Stefano Calzati - Italian - 9 / 10

Oxenfree II: Lost Signals is a great second season that makes the already beautiful Oxenfree feel like a pilot episode. An intense, exciting and playfully aware narrative adventure, capable of perfectly integrating gameplay with writing. Artistically remarkable, thematically profound, full of tense situations, where to make decisions and direct the fate of our protagonists, playing the part that seems most suitable to us, without the story ever lacking in coherence. If this is what Netflix wants to do with the video game, the future looks rosy for lovers of this genre (success permitting). Radio chills.

IGN Italy - Andrea Maderna - Italian - 8.9 / 10

Oxenfree II does everything you would expect from a sequel and even manages to squeeze in a couple of surprises, but don't expect anything revolutionary from it.

RPG Fan - Wes Iliff - 88%

No faults can bring down an amazing story told in a unique way, serving as an example for storytelling-focused games moving forward.

PC Gamer - Jody Macgregor - 85 / 100

Oxenfree 2 is a more mature second run at the walk-and-talk formula.

PlayStation Universe - Tommy Holloway - 8.5 / 10

Oxenfree II: Lost Signals may not be the most ambitious sequel, but it is certainly a great one. The atmospheric Pacific North West setting, Its incredibly authentic conversation system, well written and wonderfully realised characters, combine for a memorable follow up, that will resonate with those who enjoyed the original Oxenfree.

Worth Playing - Cody Medellin - 8.5 / 10

As a sequel, Oxenfree II: Lost Signals is at least on par with the first title. The game strikes a good balance of platforming and puzzle-solving, while also giving you the freedom to figure out things without much hand-holding. The art style may present small characters, but the graphics still shine, and the music is haunting enough to maintain a feeling of unease throughout the adventure. It is once again the fleshed-out characters, deep narrative, and excellent pacing that will keep you hooked on the game from the opening moments all the way to the end credits. For fans of adventure games, Oxenfree II is a worthy buy, even if you've never played the first title.

COGconnected - Jaz Sagoo - 80 / 100

Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals is a beautifully told story that improves on the original. The structure is exciting and fosters intrigue in the multilayered narrative. Although Night School Studios does improve the gameplay, it fails to take advantage of these segments. Despite that, the wonderful art direction, intelligent narrative and relatable characters make this a memorable adventure.

Cultured Vultures - Ryan Stevens - 8 / 10

Oxenfree II: Lost Signals brings the same level of charm and creepiness as its predecessor, and though its new perspective doesn't quite push narrative or gameplay elements far enough into the unknown, it's still an excellent scary story for a dark and stormy night.

Destructoid - Eric Van Allen - 8 / 10

It might not be the out-of-left-field surprise it was then, but Oxenfree II: Lost Signals is a solid adventure for those who can’t get enough of strange frequencies and existential dread.

Digital Chumps - Nathaniel Stevens - 8 / 10

Regardless of takeoff, the sequel is entertaining and something you should check out, especially if you enjoyed the first game.

Enternity.gr - Nikitas Kavouklis - Greek - 8 / 10

Night School Studio offers a result that will remain in the memory of all those who dedicate a few hours of their free time to it.

Eurogamer - Christian Donlan - 4 / 5

Wander and chat through a night of spooky possibilities.

Expansive - Sally Willington - 4 / 5

Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals is a fascinating follow-up that smartly continues adventures in a world we know and love, while adding in exciting twists and turns that tie up loose ends from the first game and expand it convincingly. Some minor technical issues and narrative speedbumps aside, there’s clever new mechanics and a bigger, richer game to explore that makes for one of the most satisfying stories this year.

Game Informer - Wesley LeBlanc - 8 / 10

Oxenfree II doesn’t shake up what its predecessor did in 2016, but it delivers more of the excellent writing and charm I expect from Night School Studio. While it's light on gameplay beyond traversal, it’s done in service of the characters. After 10 hours with this cast, I want more, but I’m happy with where this story ends and how my choices shaped that ending. Despite bad checkpointing and a swift rush to the end after an overly long setup, this return feels earned and essential, with a message that resonates far more than Oxenfree's. With Oxenfree II behind me, I’m thrilled Night School Studio delivered something special more than seven years away from this world.

Hardcore Gamer - Kyle LeClair - 4 / 5

While Oxenfree II: Lost Signals doesn't hit the same heights as the original game, it still delivers another enjoyable adventure, once again serving up another unique ghost story that uses haunted technology to great effect, which succeeds thanks to terrific dialogue and well-crafted characters. Camena may be quite similar to Edwards Island in a lot of ways, but it still plays hosts to a nicely spooky trip more than worth taking, especially for fans of the first title.

Hobby Consolas - Álvaro Alonso - Spanish - 80 / 100

Oxenfree II: Lost Signals keep everything that made the first one so especial, adding more freedom of exploration and changing the teenagers for adults tired of life.

Prima Games - Grant Testa - 8 / 10

If you loved 2016’s Oxenfree, then Oxenfree II: Lost Signals is definitely worth a playthrough, as the sequel delivers a solid continuation of the story set into motion by the first game, even though it doesn’t quite reach the heights of its predecessor.

TheSixthAxis - Miguel Moran - 8 / 10

There are so many expectations to live up to after delivering the first Oxenfree, but Oxenfree II charts its own course, delivering something unlike Night School Studio's previous games. It has sharper horror, more inventive storytelling, and a variety of systems to keep you engaged through hours of slow and somber small-town exploration.

We Got This Covered - David Morgan - 4 / 5

It's been more than seven years since Oxenfree, and we're relieved this long-awaited sequel hits the mark. Lost Signals seamlessly picks up where the original left off, has an awesome new lead character, and is filled to the brim with quotable dialogue.

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 75 / 100

If you value an exceptionally well-crafted story that rivals the depth of a compelling novel and are willing to approach Oxenfree II: Lost Signals with an open mind, setting aside conventional expectations of a typical video game, then this game comes highly recommended. Its strengths lie in its storytelling prowess, making it a worthwhile experience for those seeking a captivating narrative.

GamingTrend - Abdul Saad - 75 / 100

Despite being held back by neglected gameplay elements and an overeager narrative, Oxenfree II: Lost Signals still offers an enjoyable experience.

WellPlayed - James Wood - 7.5 / 10

Oxenfree II: Lost Signals takes the first game's promising world of horror and expands it with some fantastic new characters and uneven legacy storytelling.

Spaziogames - Domenico Musicò - Italian - 7.2 / 10

Like a Netflix show that tries to keep its success with a second season, Oxenfree II is a forced sequel that after seven years loses all the magic. It's still enjoyable, but not fresh at all.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 3.5 / 5

Oxenfree II: Lost Signals is another narrative hit for Night School, delivering a slow-burn story that expertly weaves together supernatural horror with an introspective story of self-discovery. The sequel does find itself struggling with its own identity crisis though, as tedious interactivity leaves me wondering if the studio’s heart is more in movies or TV than video games.

GGRecon - Joshua Boyles - 3.5 / 5

All in all, Oxenfree II: Lost Signals provides an experience that fans of the original will no doubt love. With refined gameplay features and a truly stunning presentation, there’s a lot here to keep fans of the genre happy for hours.

However, a few technical issues and new-generation oversights keep Oxenfree II from being a game that truly stands out from the crowd, which is disappointing given the rest of its potential.

GameSpot - Jordan Ramée - 7 / 10

Oxenfree II: Lost Signals stumbles with a few of its characters but ultimately proves to be just as wonderfully creepy of an adventure as the first game.

IGN - Carli Velocci - 7 / 10

Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals offers a highly personal and unpredictable horror-themed adventure that repeats a lot of the first game’s ideas, and it's still worth tuning into.

Metro GameCentral - Nick Gillett - 7 / 10

This slightly spooky sequel continues its tale of real people in strange situations, picking up the story and characters of Oxenfree and retaining its style and puzzle-adjacent gameplay.

Push Square - Liam Croft - 7 / 10

Oxenfree II: Lost Signals is a fairly safe sequel that allows its narrative and new cast of characters to do the heavy lifting. Through constant chit-chat between Riley and Jacob, gameplay remains enjoyable enough to keep you engaged, allowing the story to always be at the forefront of your mind. A few frustrating puzzles and frequent load screens aside, Night School Studio has put together a worthy follow-up that fans and newcomers can equally enjoy.

CGMagazine - Steven Green - 6.5 / 10

OXENFREE II: Lost Signals suffers from staying too close to the first release while losing the main component of the story that made the first so great—the surprise!

New Game Network - Ben Thomas - 64 / 100

Despite some witty dialogue and a few poignant moments, OXENFREE II: Lost Signals is an unexciting talkie-walkie with conversation interruptions and dull gameplay.

GAMES.CH - Benjamin Braun - German - 62%

Unfortunately, the plot and characters don't come close to the predecessor.

PlayStation LifeStyle - Michael Leri - 6 / 10

It seemed like Alex was damned to wallow in limbo until the end of time, but it’s Oxenfree 2 that ended up being caught in a loop. Some of those replicated features work in its favor, like its fluid dialogue and cast of decently well-realized characters, yet it’s too heavily anchored to its predecessor. The aforementioned dialogue system is mostly the same and hasn’t been further streamlined or upgraded. Traversal is still too slow. And even though its narrative builds on what came before, it struggles to provide a comprehensive summary of that first game and contextualize those all-important events. All of these stumbles mean that Oxenfree 2’s signal isn’t lost, just full of unnecessary static.

GameGrin - Violet Plata - 4.5 / 10

The final act aside, OXENFREE II: Lost Signals is an underwhelming experience, especially when compared to its predecessor.

GamesRadar+ - Jon Bailes - 2 / 5

"The upside of treading old ground is that the Oxenfree 2 story gets to link back to the original in some fun ways"

Console Creatures - Recommended

With some of the best writing, voice acting, supernatural set pieces, and atmospheric settings ever, Oxenfree II: Lost Signals is a must-play game. It was worth the wait, and if you're a fan of thrillers or sci-fi, this is a no-brainer.

Kotaku - George Yang - Unscored

Night School's spooky sequel tenderly captures the ambiguity of early adulthood

Polygon - Nicole Carpenter - Unscored

In the end, I loved the idea of Oxenfree 2 more than the game itself. It’s a game that has the right pieces, but falls short of putting them together in a way that lives up to the innovative, classic experience of the original game. A more compelling story is frustratingly hidden within the game’s branching narrative system, and it’s a shame that some people will miss it.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Rachel Watts - Unscored

Well-written characters and a tense atmosphere set the right tone, but the signals of this Oxenfree sequel feel garbled compared to the original.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Oxenfree II: Lost Signals - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted