Company of Heroes 3 (23 February 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Operation Sapphire Jackal" (first "major" update) released

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (Mediterranean Theater) announced, Official Cinematic Reveal/Gameplay Trailers

https://community.companyofheroes.com/coh-franchise/company-of-heroes-legacy/blogs/2-company-of-heroes-3-game-overview

This high-level overview document will introduce you to the gameplay and major features of Company of Heroes 3. As we work towards an Alpha build, we'd like your feedback to help guide our decisions around feature development, content changes, and core gameplay improvements. 

Company of Heroes with the scale of Total War sounds like the sort of fanciful combination that you might daydream about without ever expecting it to happen. Well, I've got good news for you—Company of Heroes 3 is very real. The bombastic real-time brawls the series is known for return, but this time they're spread across a dynamic, turn-based campaign full of skirmishes, optional objectives and territory to fight over.

One glimpse at a battle and this is unmistakably Company of Heroes, but at every turn there's a transformative new addition. You'll be able to control both US and UK forces across the campaign, including their navies and air forces, dramatically beefing up your list of strategic options. You can plan amphibious landings, drop paratroopers behind enemy lines and annihilate enemies with your naval artillery. In the real-time fights, there's a new destruction system, more deadly tools to play with and a very surprising tactical pause system.

company_of_heroes_3_preview1.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We go hands on with Company Of Heroes 3, the latest game from Relic Entertainment that sees the series take on the 1943 allied invasion of Italy.

The Total War series are the Kinder Eggs of strategy gaming: a layer of delicious, map-based strategy, with a dramatic RTS toy hidden inside. It's a tasty formula, and I've often wondered why more games over the years haven't adopted it. I'm not alone in this: David Littman, executive producer at Relic Entertainment, always wondered the same thing. But then along came Sega, gulping down strategy studios like a big mad whale, and Relic ended up in its belly - right next to Total War devs Creative Assembly. So he asked them about it.

“Turns out,” says Littman, “it’s because it’s really hard to do”. So there you go. But Littman was not deterred. Working away in the leviathan's guts, with the famous motto of the SAS in mind - “You’ve got to at least have a go, even if it's really hard” - Relic learned from their fellow strategy Jonahs at CA, and set about applying the knowledge to their landmark WW2 strategy franchise, Company Of Heroes. Now, the Sega whale, she is a-rumblin'. Sometime next year in late 2022, she will belch up Company Of Heroes 3, and it will have a brand new, Total War-style campaign map. I've ventured down the whale's gullet to have a go, and I think it looks promising.

Company of Heroes 3 is coming - and it feels like the original, but bigger (Eurogamer)

I am not selling this! But still, the point is when the Americans parachute in all chipper like, or one of my little Russian comrades complains to another that "stealing my biscuits is not the Soviet way!", Company of Heroes is doing its job better than any RTS like it. And so, when Relic tells me that "humanising the battlefield" with more of these occasional barks is one of the "core pillars" of Company of Heroes 3, I'm delighted to hear it, probably even more than I am to hear about the fancy dynamic campaign or the wonderful southern-Med setting. It's early days - honestly, very early days, from what I played - but this, above all, seems to be the theme with CoH 3: it's all about recognising what was good about the last two games, and just doing more of it.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (Mediterranean Theater) - Information Thread, update: hands-on previews posted
xDBPtPpRu8muquGJj6HaVV-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

How Relic is building then breaking World War 2 Italy.

Civilians also play a role in Company of Heroes 3, adding another layer of tension to the war. One notable example is during preparation for the assault on Monte Cassino, which one of your advisors suggests needs a good bombing. Your partisan liaison, however, notes the likelihood of civilians hiding in the area, making an attack high-risk. You are given opportunities to find out if this is the case, and regardless you can still order the bombardment. It's a reminder that this warzone is full of people's homes, businesses and places of worship and that, as fun as it is to see buildings being torn down, there are hefty consequences. 

GxwyEVKws57VD7gQv8QeAV-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Relic involved the community right from the start.

One of the benefits of Relic being a Sega studio these days is the opportunities to borrow stuff from the publisher's other strategy teams. This means that Relic's been able to take advantage of Amplitude's Games2Gether programme, initially set up for the Endless series, through which the community will be able to play various builds, offer feedback and get updates.

This collaboration with the community, however, goes way back, to the formation of a community council three years ago. "We've had a 70-player council for three years now," executive producer David Littman tells me. "And they've been playing the game for three years." He recalls that, during the very earliest days of the game, players were brought in almost straight away. During the first couple of days it was just Littman, then some team members joined him, and then ten of the top players from around the world—modders, map makers, competitive players—were invited to sit down with Relic. The studio used them to help come up with the foundations of what would become Company of Heroes 3, right down to the setting.

BRBFBPia8NjYr7UhqpK9CU-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

And something other RTSs should absolutely consider.

At any point in a singleplayer battle, you can pause the action and freely explore the map. That alone is extremely convenient, giving you some breathing room and time to properly analyse the battle. The real boon, however, is the ability to order units and queue up commands while you're paused, and then see all of those orders and where your troops are going reflected in the UI. Everything you can do normally, you can do with the action frozen. 

Moving units, activating your off-screen abilities, plonking down new buildings, recruiting new troops—there aren't any limits. In any single battle, there's so much going on, a huge and growing list of tasks for you to work through, so having the option to halt things and spend some time just figuring out what to do next is invaluable. 

13 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Yea I don’t mind the lower settings. You think Warhammer 2 can be played on it?

Probably on low settings. I don't think it would be worth it though. Total Wars from Fall of the Samurai and before should work no problem.

• 3 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (Mediterranean Theater) - Information Thread, update: multiple developer diary/gameplay overview videos posted
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (17 November 2022)) - Information Thread, update: November 17 release announced, features two campaigns (Italy and North Africa)

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1657714930
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Bigger and better than ever, Company of Heroes 3 combines heart-pounding combat with deeper strategic choices in a stunning Mediterranean theatre of war. In Company of Heroes 3, every battle tells a story...what's yours?

yyPdU7WQx9qz4Y8mp7nnYL-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

And the most factions the series has had at launch.

Company of Heroes 3 is shaping up to be a mighty big RTS. Along with the massive Italian campaign, which includes a big turn-based campaign map, we're also getting the North African operation—a second campaign with a brand new faction: the Deutsche Afrika Korps. 

This second campaign won't be DLC either. Both will be available at launch, and we now know when that will be: November 17.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (17 November 2022) - Information Thread, update: November 17 release announced, features two campaigns (Italy and North Africa)
GvwLShLc7SDd4qvPEesZXV-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The second campaign switches settings, throws in a new faction and drops the turn-based map.

Years ago, I found myself bouncing around in the back of a 4x4 in the desert outside of Dubai, following the route an upcoming rally would be taking. I felt a bit worse for wear after a day of speeding over dunes and through wadis, and it would be a while before I'd be able to comfortably sit down again, but I came away with a newfound appreciation of the golden expanse—for its big, open spaces that really let vehicles rip; for its hidden dangers that can halt drivers in their tracks; and for the surprising diversity and sudden, dramatic changes in terrain. 

These qualities, which gave me such a memorable experience when I was 12, also make the desert a compelling setting for an RTS. This becomes very clear when you watch a horde of tanks barrelling through the dunes, blasting their gargantuan guns at infantry desperately trying to find some rare desert cover. And thanks to Company of Heroes 3's North African operation, you're going to be seeing a lot of that.

xAn48pVjyHYnu6hVRXV7QP-1200-80.png
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Get all the details on Relic's incredibly ambitious World War 2 RTS.

The strategy masters at Relic are bringing us another return to World War 2. Company of Heroes 3 is approaching, and bringing with it numerous new features that are as surprising as they are exciting. The series is one of the best RTS staples around, managing to plant its flag firmly even during the decline of the genre. And with a much smaller field in the real-time strategy arena these days, a new Company of Heroes is more than welcome.

We've played for around 11 hours already, and chatted to various members of the team, and the new entry is more than holding the line. There have been two public playtests of the multiplayer already. So as we wait for launch, we'll also be popping whatever we learn into this big feature, so keep reading to find out everything we know about Company of Heroes 3.

E7EFX9oZijaLupxk5DRsKW-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

My favourite unit from the North African operation can't even shoot.

Company of Heroes 3(opens in new tab) has some cracking tanks. They come in a lot of different flavours, from nippy little things to massive rumbling fortresses, and I love them all. The North African operation(opens in new tab), the WW2 RTS's second campaign, really lets them shine, giving them wide open spaces and encouraging tank battle after tank battle. They're powerful war machines that are a hoot to command, and also to stare at, because Relic's lavished them with so much tiny detail. But after playing the operation's first mission, tanks have been knocked off the top spot. Now the humble recovery vehicle is my best friend. 

Given the heavily-mechanised Deutsche Afrika Korps' reliance on vehicles, there's usually patching up to be done after every confrontation with the enemy. Thankfully, all DAK infantry, not just engineers, can perform field repairs, albeit pretty slowly. Those longer repair times could leave you vulnerable, however, so when you've got a big job, that's when you tag in the recovery vehicle—in the DAK's case, the Famo half-track.

COH3---North-Africa-Key-Art---Landscape.
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Our interview and hands-on with upcoming WW2 strategy game Company of Heroes 3.

At the risk of simply repeating some marketing blurb, "Humanising the battlefield" is apparently one of Relic's three key "franchise pillars" for Company of Heroes. The other two are "emergent storytelling" and "cinematic warfare," for those interested, and while those two probably sound a bit more exciting for the average player, it's the first that probably holds the most importance today.

This is because the setting for Company of Heroes 3, due this November, is a delicate one. There are two campaigns, one in Italy and the Mediterranean, and the other, where this preview focused, in North Africa. The North African "theatre" of the Second World War is one dominated by armoured warfare, and is also the place were Erwin Rommel, the commander of the Nazis' Deutsches Afrika Corps (DAK), earned his reputation as the "Desert Fox".

The delicacy here comes from that reputation. Rommel's Afrika Korps was something Relic described as "heavily requested by our community," while Rommel himself was built up by the Germans, and then Allies, as a brilliant but detached tactician who sought to wage a "war without hate" and an almost victim of Nazi rule - something since referred to as the "Rommel myth", given the fact that plenty of war crimes still persisted in that region throughout the period of his command.

"We have to take special care with our narrative, playing as the Germans in North Africa," a studio representative said in the initial presentation. "We definitely don't want to tell a romanticised story, where we lean into old tropes such as the 'war without hate' or the 'clean Wehrmacht' in North Afrika, or Rommel the 'gentleman general'.

"Instead of that we want to tell an authentic and grounded story in North Africa… so in addition to our own internal research and our own efforts to get this subject matter right, we've been working with some external consultants who've been involved in helping us with our narrative and Company of Heroes 3."

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere. The fighters on the North African front in Company of Heroes 3 seem inclined to agree with me. A far cry from the breezy, blooming Italian beaches we saw in IGN’s last preview, the other side of the Mediterranean theater is parched, oppressive, and sparsely-settled. It takes a rugged army with the ability to keep the tank treads running in far less than ideal conditions to succeed here. And the new Deutsch Afrika Korps – who will also be playable in multiplayer as a separate roster from the already revealed German Wehrmacht – are up to the task.

The mission I got to play involves breaking through British lines and capturing a nearby town in order to cut off their retreat. This is part of a linear Axis campaign set during the earlier years of the war that will serve to complement the open-ended, Total War-esque Allied campaign in Italy that I looked at last year. While it certainly added to the workload, Relic wanted to provide a single-player experience more geared toward fans of old-school RTS campaigns, who are more interested in the tactical battles than managing a whole theater on the strategic level.

125521.jpg
WWW.MMORPG.COM

With Company of Heroes 3 coming to Steam this November, Bradford had the chance to flex his RTS muscles as he checked out the North African Operation coming to the historically-based RTS.

Whipping around a British trench line, my Panzers centered their fire on the enemy position. British troopers disintegrated under the sweltering fire, allowing my ground troops to move in and secure the position. After firing a few smoke canisters to cover their advance, I set up one unit in a nearby building to cover the road to our east while the rest of my units captured the trench network the British were holding just a moment earlier.

These battles came to define my playtime in Company of Heroes 3, the upcoming RTS from Relic Entertainment that pits players as one of the major powers during the Second World War. During a press preview last month, the team behind COH3 lifted the cloche on the upcoming North African campaign, allowing players to take the role of Germany’s Deutsches Afrikakorps as they fought the British during the early years of the war.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (17 November 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Audio" Developer Diary and "Official Features Trailer"
  • 2 weeks later...
Company-Of-Heroes-3-3-2000x1270-1.jpg
WWW.NME.COM

'Company Of Heroes 3' is shaping up to be a runaway hit for the series, with a phenomenal new campaign map and brutal skirmish mode

From a hands-on with the game, it’s hard to imagine Company Of Heroes ever going back to how it previously did things. A new campaign map handles Company Of Heroes 3‘s country-wide story: players will shuffle their forces across Italy, capturing and defending key objectives in their fight against Germany. Decisions made on this map have tangible effects on the game’s RTS battles, which occur when it’s time to get your hands dirty and capture an objective.

Ahead of marching a column of U.S soldiers into an occupied airfield, we subjected the base to a brutal bombardment from American ships stationed at the coast. When it was time to move in and seize the airfield, there was one less capture point to bleed for thanks to our actions on the campaign map, providing a sense of continuity between battles that the series previously relied on cutscenes for.

“When we started building Company Of Heroes 3, the first thing that we wanted to do was capture that core format – the RTS gameplay that everyone loves, we wanted that first,” explains Steve Mele, executive producer for Company Of Heroes 3. “The second thing was to bring in a wider strategy audience. We’d looked at [Company Of Heroes 2 expansion] Ardennes Assault and how that campaign experience was shaping up, and we thought about expanding it to that dynamic campaign map.”

The result – a blend of turn-based campaign strategising and brutal RTS clashes – may sound familiar to strategy fans. In the same year Company Of Heroes 2 was released, Relic was acquired by Sega – and the developer has learned a few things from sister studio Creative Assembly‘s Total War series.

ignfirst-coh3-blogroll-01-1662141888934.
WWW.IGN.COM

Company of Heroes 3 sticks close to the World War 2 RTS's roots in many regards. But maybe the biggest departure is its open-ended Italian campaign. While Company of Heroes 2's Ardennes Assault expansion played with the idea of nonlinear storytelling, this new campaign is taking things to another level in terms of branching story and player freedom.

Company of Heroes 3 sticks close to the World War 2 RTS's roots in many regards. But maybe the biggest departure is its open-ended Italian campaign. While Company of Heroes 2's Ardennes Assault expansion played with the idea of nonlinear storytelling, this new campaign is taking things to another level in terms of branching story and player freedom.

One way this campaign shows the war from a new side is the inclusion of Italian partisan forces who worked against Mussolini's government and the occupying Axis forces, assisting the Allies in liberating the country. They are represented by the fictional rebel leader Valenti, who will come to you with requests and suggestions.

"So if you work toward loyalty with Valenti … you can gain access to abilities that will let you use partisan hubs on the campaign map."

Partisans can weaken enemy strongholds before you even attack, and partisan units can also assist you in combat if you stay in their good graces, granting you Italian irregular troops who are good in a skirmishing and harassing role. But it won't always be easy to stay on their good side while trying to achieve your broader objectives.

At the recent Gamescom show in Germany, I had a chance to play another preview of Company of Heroes 3, where my mission was to take over a German-controlled airfield in the Italian campaign of World War II. Then I was able to interview Steve Mele, executive producer at Relic Entertainment, about the latest details of the ongoing development.

The real-time strategy game will be published by Sega and Relic on PC via Steam on November 17, and it’s looking pretty polished. My job in the demo was to take over an airfield, and I barely got into it before I had to move on to my interview. I also played another demo where I got wiped out pretty good. If I showed that one to you on video, it would be as laughable as my 2017 performance on Cuphead. With just a half hour or so at Gamescom, I was just scratching the surface in this game.

I guess I’ll have to get used to getting my head handed to me in this game, especially when I play multiplayer against some expert strategists. But this is the kind of game you learn little by little. Compared to my previous demo, I felt like I had a better understanding of how to navigate through the strategic map. I ran a couple of recon aircraft missions over the airfield and uncovered the tough defenses. I bombed them with aircraft and executed a fire mission against them from my battleship. That softened them up pretty good while it didn’t run me dry on resources for other campaign targets.

But when I went into battle, it was unpredictable. It’s quite easy to run into German armor and infantry that will just rip your squads to shreds. And that’s what I like about this version of Company of Heroes, which I’ve been playing since the series first debuted in 2006. It has been more than eight years since Company of Heroes 2 debuted in 2013 with a Russian Front setting.

q3YkCeMbfwwb9kgb8uSXJg-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Company of Heroes 3 dev team is listening to players with an eye on nostalgic single-player content

Company of Heroes 3 has a time machine. Figuratively, of course, given the fact it's an RTS set in the Mediterranean during WW2. But after playing 45 minutes or so of its single-player campaign at Gamescom 2022, I was transported back to my formative years in front of my dad's Windows 95-powered PC. Like many folks who grew up playing video games in the 1990s, I discovered war-torn real-time strategy through Westwood Studios' Command & Conquer in 1995, and had my interest in the subgenre solidified by that game's ultra-cool sequel, Red Alert, the following year. 

Company of Heroes breathed new life into the well-established and somewhat waning military RTS scene in 2006, before Company of Heroes 2 breached the scene in 2013. With an ardent desire to satisfy strategists who enjoy competitive multiplayer and single-player campaigns alike, Company of Heroes 3 revives the series almost a decade on, and is likewise its most ambitious undertaking to date. How does developer Relic Entertainment plan to succeed? By leaning heavily on early feedback delivered by a pre-established council of modders, and competitive and casual players. 

"The idea of co-development with players, I think that's now an essential initiative in everything Relic does as a company moving forward," says Sachin Ryan, the lead single-player designer for Company of Heroes 3. "Developing video games in silo is something we've recognized does not work for us, so co-development has been hugely important to Company of Heroes 3."

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (17 November 2022) - Information Thread, update: new previews posted

Over the course of Company of Heroes 3's expansive, open-ended Italian campaign, you'll fight your fair share of classic RTS battles. Quite a lot of them, probably. But to add some variety, there are also several less conventional encounters you can come across with their own rules and objectives, so you have to stay on your toes. From a desperate rescue mission to shadowy commando operations, it will take ingenuity and adaptability to break the Axis lines in the push toward Rome. We got to try out just a few of these unorthodox scenarios.

They say the best way to stop a snake is to cut off the head. I don't know who "they" are, nor have I actually tested this. I'd rather leave snakes alone, you know? But it can definitely be true when fighting Nazis, which brought us to one of my favorite Company of Heroes 3 missions so far: The Gardening Job. This nighttime infiltration is a stealthy special forces assignment, giving you a small number of very specialized troops and no way to get reinforcements. You'll have to infiltrate an occupied manor, taking out guards along the way, before assassinating a Nazi officer and escaping, hopefully, with your lives.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (17 November 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Mission Variety" and "Play Your Way - Developer Breakdown" videos

Company of Heroes 3 has set out to bring us some of the untold stories of World War II, with its focus on the Mediterranean theater and involvement of partisan forces. So while we won't be storming the beaches on D-Day or taking on waves of tanks at Kursk, we do get to see some battles that haven't been portrayed a thousand times in games and film already. And one of the most exciting flashpoints I got to check out was an epic assault on the Italian town of Potenza.

This wasn't a battle I'd even heard of before getting placed into the commander's chair. It doesn't even have its own wikipedia page. But let me set the scene for you: It's September 20, 1943. The Allied invasion of Italy is already well underway, but the Axis forces have dug in to many defensible hilltop villages across the Apennine mountains that run down the center of the peninsula. One of these, Potenza, is a natural stepping stone from the Allied landing site at Salerno for establishing a commanding strategic hold over Southern Italy.

Our month of exclusive IGN First coverage on Relic Entertainment's upcoming WWII strategy sequel Company of Heroes 3 appropriately rolls on today with a spotlight look at seven of the game's deadliest units.

Click through the gallery below to see a screenshot and an animated .gif from seven of the most intimidating vehicle units in the game, from the fabled Panzer III to the glorious American Halftrack.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (17 November 2022) - Information Thread, update: new "IGN First" articles/videos posted

I'm playing an early build of Company of Heroes 3 and I've been ordered to take a captured airfield back from the Nazis. As I throw tanks and infantry at the enemy and pummel their territory with mortar strikes, the environment gets torn to shreds. WW2 RTS series Company of Heroes has always had genre-best destruction, but the third game takes this system to a whole other level. When the mission is over and the airfield is back in allied hands, I pan the camera across the battlefield and marvel at what an incredible mess I've managed to make.

"Environmental dynamics are a pillar of the Company of Heroes series," says Sachin Ryan, lead single-player designer. "Destructible environments in the game include buildings you can garrison, which take damage over time and crumble and collapse. If this happens the soldiers inside will die. This time we have two types of building: ones that will collapse and become impassable, and others whose ruins will create permanent, indestructible cover you can use."

"Pretty much everything in the world is destructible. Trees, stone walls, fences, bridges, cars—you can blow everything up. But it's not just for show: it feeds into the gameplay too. If you destroy a tank, you can use it as cover. Artillery shells can hit the ground and create a crater, which also generates cover. We've had these dynamic elements before, but now everything is higher fidelity." Company of Heroes 3 has implemented a new physically based rendering system that brings an impressively fine level of detail to the destruction. "It vastly improves how the damage looks, like plaster breaking off first and revealing bricks underneath," says Ryan. "Then the bricks will break away and you'll see the wooden frame of the structure. Everything has just been massively amped up."

Company of Heroes 3's Italian campaign map is by far the most ambitious single-player experience in the series’ history. At first glance, it could be mistaken for a World War II-themed Total War mod. Fighting your way from the southern tip of the peninsula all the way to Rome will require careful planning, use of your land, sea, and air resources, and some political decision-making. The focus, though, is still on setting up exciting RTS missions, and Relic has even dialed back some elements to support this goal, like autonomous support companies, based on player feedback.

In our first campaign preview, we saw a slightly different set-up for Italy where smaller detachments of machine guns, anti-tank weapons, and rifle teams could join a larger company in a support role, or position themselves around the map to fight it out in automatically resolved minor engagements. Players and devs felt like this added a lot of extra micromanagement, so these detachments will now only be used in supporting roles for your divisions. There will still be static emplacements like AA turrets and machine gun nests that can deal damage to you outside of RTS battles, though, meaning every advance needs to be carefully planned.

Having to rely on squishy infantry, scavenging the battlefield, and going after objectives with a couple of irreplaceable vehicles definitely emphasizes the desperate and deadly aspects of the North African conflict. Conducting a conventional war in an environment that just doesn't want you there, often with very few of the supplies you need to fight effectively, was definitely a reality for forces on both sides of the theater. Due to its linear structure, these details come out in the character of the missions themselves rather than at the strategic layer.

It also proves Company of Heroes 3 is really not messing around with stretching your skills as a commander to the breaking point, if you're up to the challenge. We're playing a faction that we know, historically, was defeated. And there won't be any kind of alternate history going on here. You might win some battles, but not the war. It's the story of a doomed army stranded in a dry land, fighting for a madman's ambitions. And in that sense, the fact that this mission felt like such an ill-advised suicide run makes a lot of sense in context.

For ages, real-time strategy has been a genre where the number of things you can physically do per second has a major impact on how effectively you can play. And while there's something to be said for that, Company of Heroes 3 is trying to expand the appeal of its tactical gameplay to those who would rather sit back and think through every move carefully, perhaps with a glass of whiskey in one hand and a mouse in the other. Tactical pause, as they call it, isn't any less harrowing of an experience for your soldiers who are being sent to charge a machine gun emplacement. But it is a much less chaotic and, dare I say, more luxurious experience for a commander.

Pausing a single-player mission in Company of Heroes 3 will bring up an action queue for each of your units, which allows you to issue a series of sequential orders that will all be carried out when you unpause. So you could tell an infantry squad to run to cover, throw a grenade, and then continue advancing without missing a beat. Issuing a complex chain of orders to several units at once will see them march off like a well-conducted orchestra of destruction, making it possible to pull off some maneuvers that might only have been possible for an esports pro before.

I was a little skeptical about this idea at first. In the past, playing against the AI in an RTS has always been a bit of an asymmetrical warfare situation. I, as a human, am much more intuitive and capable of abstract thinking. In turn, the computer is capable of split-second calculations and can issue many more orders at once. With Tactical Pause, that second advantage is taken away. But I honestly haven't found that it makes things too easy. Sometimes I'll still go through whole missions without it, while in others it feels practically essential. But most commonly, I take advantage of it as needed when I feel a bit overwhelmed and need to get a grasp of the battle.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm TOTALLY SHOCKED by this development!

TOTALLY.

SHOCKED.

XAgG5mMHfdYMaM9mjAc6fT-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

'Our team has decided the game is not quite up to our players’ or our own high standards'.

World War 2 has been postponed. Company of Heroes 3(opens in new tab), the next entry in Relic's totemic RTS series, has been hit by a delay with barely a month to go until its original release date. Instead of releasing on November 17, Company of Heroes 3 will come out on February 23, 2023, around four months from now.

Relic is being pretty forthright about the reasons for the delay: the game just isn't up to snuff yet. In the extra few months' development time, the dev team will be focused entirely on fixing bugs, tweaking mechanics, and polishing up what's already there. "Over the next 4 months we will not be adding any new features," the delay announcement reads, "Now it’s just a matter of tuning and polishing everything to deliver on that core experience".

• Sad 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (23 February 2023) - Information Thread, update: release delayed to 23 February 2023

To have it ready for launch, the initial release of the Essence Editor will be somewhat limited. Notably, custom unit skins and meshes won't be supported just yet – though you can mix and match different clothing items and accessories from the units already in Company of Heroes 3 to create custom kits.

"Our modding community really helped us understand what was the most impact and highest priority capabilities in the toolset. So what we initially thought would be super important, for example asset swaps or making skins, was actually lower on the priority list. And what was higher was being able to do tuning, to be able to do their own modes, scripting, and also their own maps."

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (23 February 2023) - Information Thread, update: Modding Details Revealed
  • 1 month later...

Recent previews:

Having been there since the public announcement, I've had lots of chances to put Company of Heroes 3 through its paces. We even did a whole month of exclusive IGN First coverage on it. And chances are, with how open the development has been, you've played a slice or two yourself already. But all of that felt like running my fingers along various gears and armor plates that hadn't been assembled into a full tank yet. And now that I've gotten to see both the Italian and North African campaigns in something closer to a finished state, the bigger picture is starting to come together.

What was missing from all the earlier builds, more than anything, was a sense of cohesion and storytelling. Both campaigns are now introduced with the sort of personal narrative framing this series is known for. You're thrust into a moment in time, and get a sense of the various characters – from individual grunts all the way up to the top brass – as more than just a face on a menu. I feel like I understand what kind of people the allied commanders, the hot-headed American Buckram and his rival, the stoic Brit, Norton, are meant to be and how they play off each other. All of this framing puts me in the mindset of the time period, adding much-needed context to the trials ahead.

COH3_CaminoHunt.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We've been hands on with Company Of Heroes 3, sampling its dynamic Italian campaign and linear North African operation ahead of its release in February 2023.

For the last six months, I've been slowly picking my way through Company Of Heroes 2 for the first time. I'm about halfway through its campaign at the moment, but the rhythm of calling up replacements and reinforcing my squads hasn't quite been engrained into my hotkey fingers yet. I keep making the mistake of thinking I can just push through with my remaining forces, but as any COH stalwart will know, that kind of road only ever leads to total disaster.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I came to preview the latest build of Company Of Heroes 3's dynamic, Total War-style Italian campaign and seemed to be, you know, actually making some pretty steady progress as I pushed up its mission maps. I was, admittedly, only playing the opening levels of this particular campaign, and I also had the aid of a handy M4A1 Sherman tank providing some welcome backup muscle. But during my four hours with it, I felt more in control of the battlefield than I've ever done while playing COH2. I was making excellent use of its reinforcement options, and heck, I was even remembering to tell units to retreat back to the nearest aid post so I didn’t lose the buffs they'd earned through their new EXP-driven promotions and veterancy bonuses. Then I played a mission from its more linear North African campaign, and had a very rude awakening indeed. Why, hello, frantic pressure and torrents of death bullets from Company Of Heroes 2 again, it's been a while.

company_of_heroes_3_preview1.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We sit down with Company Of Heroes 3's VP of production David Littman to talk about the RTS post-launch content plans and working with player feedback.

With two chunky single player campaigns and a sizable multiplayer component on the way, it's no secret that Company Of Heroes 3 is Relic Entertainment's biggest COH game yet. After playing a chunky new preview build last week, it's clear there'll be lots to dive into come release day on February 23rd. But when I sat down with vice president of production David Littman to talk more about their WW2 RTS, I was curious where their focus would lie after launch. While many love Company Of Heroes for its top notch campaigns, Littman told me they "still have over 400,000 players still playing COH 1 and 2 monthly" via multiplayer, which is impressive considering the last game in the series came out nine years ago. And when it comes to COH 3, Littman says they'll go "where the players are".

"They're both tough," says Littman when I asked him about the challenges of supporting both single player and multiplayer content post-launch. "Supporting a game for many years is something that we plan on doing […]. For us, we just want to make content for where the players are, so if more players are gravitating towards the single player, we'll make more content for single player. If more players are gravitating towards multiplayer, same thing there. Right now, we expect that we're going to have both, and so we'll make content for both multiplayer and single player.

"As far as the difficulty of making it, it's just different groups within our development team, which is great. So if we want to do both, we have our gameplay team and our art team [who] can be doing things for multiplayer, and then our campaign team and single player devs can be working on more content there. So it doesn't matter to us, we just want to make the players happy and make sure they're getting more of the content they love."

COH3_NorthAfrica_CampbellsConvoy.jpg?w=1
VENTUREBEAT.COM

Dean Takahashi of GamesBeat talks about the latest build of Company of Heroes 3 with executive producer Steve Mele.

This month, I had a chance to play another preview of Company of Heroes 3 on Steam, where I was able to play a new version of the game that is much closer to the final.

In the game, you get a chance to refight the invasion of Italy during World War II, both in a single-player campaign that starts in North Africa and a multiplayer version as well.

I played parts of the beginning of the campaign, including the Allied landings in Italy in the strategic campaign, as well as tactical battles in North Africa and Italy. Then I was able to once again interview Steve Mele, executive producer at Relic Entertainment, about the latest details of development.

company-of-heroes-3s-italian-campaign-ad
WWW.SHACKNEWS.COM

In a recent hands-on preview for Company of Heroes 3, we got a look at a new campaign which will see Allies wrest the Italian countryside from Axis control.

From the very start, Company of Heroes 3 has been a game built on listening to the franchise’s fervent fans and giving them what they want out of a new game. One of those things has been more variety in the overall WWII theater and in a recent preview event, I got a good look at how Relic Entertainment is doing just that. An Italian campaign has been revealed for the game and I had the pleasure of trying it out alongside a host of further cool features.

126768.jpg
WWW.MMORPG.COM

Company of Heroes 3 aims to be the biggest entry in the series to date, and by the looks of it, Relic Entertainment just might pull it off. We took a look at the upcoming dynamic map campaign, as well as custom matches ahead of next year's release.

Company of Heroes 3 aims to be the biggest entry in the series to date, and by the looks of it, Relic Entertainment just might pull it off. With two distinct campaigns aimed at telling the story of the soldiers who fought bravely in the most harrowing war in human history, Company of Heroes 3 is a massive RTS game that fans of the genre should come to love once it launches on PC in February 2023. 

Company of Heroes 3 is ambitious, and that comes across when you consider just the amount the team is pouring into this RTS title. With two full campaigns, one of which takes place on a replayable campaign map that covers the course of the Italian campaign in World War 2, this is quite the achievement. When you realize that that is just the tip of the iceberg, with Company of Heroes 3 sporting almost three times as many playable units across four multiplayer factions (double from CoH2's 2 playable factions), 52 total maps with 41 of them being unique campaign maps, there is a ton going into this.

It's no wonder the team had to delay the RTS till next year: there is a lot here to polish to ensure it's the best quality it can be at launch. Thankfully, the vast vertical slice that the team at Relic let us go hands-on with earlier this month felt quite polished, and it was a great way to whet my appetite for the full experience when it finally hits digital shelves.

Ro6qaxK8p46VrmMyL7FFkL-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

It's been over a year since I played the campaign, and now it's quite different.

Between the alpha tests and my previews, I've played quite a bit of Company of Heroes 3(opens in new tab) over the last year and a bit, so I wasn't expecting too many surprises when I popped down to London to check it out again, ahead of the February launch. But thanks to the large amount of feedback Relic has received from testers and its community council, it hasn't stopped tinkering, and there have been some notable changes as a result. 

The most obvious one is the removal of controllable detachments. Given that they were one of the big new additions to Company of Heroes 3, it's a significant change. Detachments featured on the turn-based campaign map and could be used to heal other units or clear mines, among other handy abilities. They could also be attached to companies—which you send into the real-time battles—to augment them. A medic detachment, for instance, let you use a truck that passively healed nearby troops, and as an incredibly reckless commander I used this a lot when I dabbled in the campaign last year. My troops constantly needed medical attention.  

All the things you could do with detachments persist, but you no longer have a second type of unit to worry about. Instead, they're more like an upgrade that gives your companies more utility after they've been requisitioned from the company menu. This was, executive producer David Littman tells me, all down to player feedback. 

"What we found was it was just a bit too much for players. It was getting a bit grindy having to move 20 different units every turn. So we still have all the special abilities that a detachment could do, but now they're more ingrained in the unit—you send them out to build a howitzer or you send them out to repair something, and they'll come back automatically. So just some ease of use there. All the balancing, all the tuning has been from our community council playing the game over the last few years."