Company of Heroes 3 (23 February 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Operation Sapphire Jackal" (first "major" update) released

yyPdU7WQx9qz4Y8mp7nnYL-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Barring unexpected complications, "because things happen".

When Company of Heroes 3(opens in new tab) launches on February 22 next year, players are going to be kept busy. As well as a massive turn-based campaign in Italy, there's the separate RTS-only North African operation, and then the meaty multiplayer component. That should be plenty, but Relic's got one more treat for us, courtesy of the community: mods. 

If you didn't know Company of Heroes 3 was going to have modding tools, you probably expected it anyway; Relic's games have always inspired modding communities to sprout up alongside them. But often when a game launches with mod support, you still end up having to wait for the modders to tinker with them. That shouldn't be an issue this time. 

Relic's been working with modders and map makers since the very start—before Company of Heroes 3 had even properly started production. They were part of the community council who have been providing feedback and ideas for years. That means some modders already have access to the tools, which is good news for the rest of us, because it means that there should already be some available for download right on day one. 

"So we have some of our community council that are going to be making some mods," executive producer David Littman tells me. "And the idea is to have them at launch. Players can go to the mod page—it works through Steam Workshop—and boom, there are some mods on day one. So that's the goal. I can't say for certain, because things happen. But yeah, that is the goal: we're getting them in the editor before we ship."

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (23 February 2023) - Information Thread, update: British Forces "sizzle" trailer and Tech Test developer update
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (23 February 2023) - Information Thread, update: British Forces/Deutsches Afrikakorps "Deep Dive" trailers
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (23 February 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Three Ways To Play" trailer

Game Information

Game Title: Company of Heroes 3

Platforms:

• PC (Feb 23, 2023)

Developer: Relic Entertainment

Publisher: SEGA

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 80 average - 84% recommended

Critic Reviews

CGMagazine - 9 / 10

Coming back after over a ten-year hiatus, Company of Heroes 3 revitalized the World War II strategy genre with an enormous arsenal of playstyle focuses and choices.

COGconnected - 90 / 100

Given the excellence of the two earlier games, I wasn’t surprised that Company of Heroes 3 won me over once again. The addition of Total War-style campaign layer adds a little variety without being overwhelming. Even without it, though, the battles are still endlessly fun, chaotic, and challenging. Skirmishes and the Essence Editor will keep players busy until the next entry in the series. Company of Heroes 3 reminds us that there’s still a lot of joy to be found in the best real-time strategy games.

GamesBeat - 4.5 / 5

As I noted in an earlier preview, whether I was fighting against humans or the computer AI, I never got the sense that war was too easy and my opponent was too easy to be. And so there was always a cost to fighting, and that’s the way it should be.

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

With fresh factions, two campaigns, significantly more options, and a refreshed skirmish mode, Company of Heroes 3 exceeds the impossibly-high bar set by its predecessor by a shockingly wide margin. It's a masterpiece.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9 / 10

A very convincing return for one of Relic's more iconic series, that keeps the best features of the previous games while also bringing fresh new ideas that change the way players can play and enjoy Company of Heroes. Will it be the best strategy game of 2023? Only time will tell.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Italian - 9 / 10

Company of Heroes 3 is a triumph, the worthy sequel to one of the most appreciated sagas of real-time strategists, as well as a great gift to the community. Disruptive gameplay, enriched for the occasion by many appreciated new features and improvements of sorts, blends together with a spectacle on the visual level, giving us back warlike confrontations as never seen before. In short, Relic has definitely hit the mark and raised the qualitative bar once again.

GAMES.CH - German - 89%

Huge variety, impressive visuals and an enhanced gameplay make Company of Heroes 3 a must-have for all RTS-enthusiasts. Some bugs and glitches aside, Company of Heroes 3 is as intense as an WWII-RTS gets.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.6 / 10

Company of Heroes 3 is a convincing new chapter in the beloved RTS series, and certainly a far cry from a certain, grim-future-related misstep. Four factions, a new dynamic campaign set in Italy, a classic, linear campaign where we command the DAK, and tons of units to go around, mixed with the classic gameplay we've come to love over the years. However, it feels like quantity came at the expense of polish – some animations are a bit wonky, there's some graphical issues here and there, and the AI… well, let's just say that the new (and welcome!) tactical pause feature might not be all that necessary.

33bits - Spanish - 85 / 100

Relic Entertainment has not disappointed with the latest installment of Company of Heroes. On the one hand, it has continued to do what lovers of the saga have enjoyed so far with the African campaign, but not satisfied with that, they bring us a second campaign that represents a twist and a very valuable addition with a huge and dynamic map with a development Totally different playable and more reminiscent of other games. Company of Heroes 3 is practically a 2 for 1 in the genre and a totally recommended purchase.

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 8.5 / 10

Relic Entertainment once again delivers an excellent game with tons of content. Two single-player campaigns and four different factions make Company of Heroes 3 a game for hundreds of hours.

GameBlast - Portuguese - 8.5 / 10

Company of Heroes 3 brings some clear visual and quality of life improvements to the series' excellent RTS formula. Furthermore, this title brings the most interesting, flexible and greatest campaign experience, even with its problems.

God is a Geek - 8.5 / 10

It's hardly an original setting or concept, but Company of Heroes 3 makes up for it with sheer charm and playability.

INVEN - Korean - 8.5 / 10

While fully utilizing its own zest of the series, the game added somewhat sophisticated single-player content called 'Grand Campaign'. Even though there's a slight wish for easier control, it is still a quality game to enjoy.

Wccftech - 8.5 / 10

Company of Heroes 3 is a triumphant return to the game that raised the bar for Real-Time Strategy. With unparalleled action on the battlefield, that alone makes it work your while. The new grand-strategy campaign is a welcome addition, though it has some flaws, ranging from performance issues and bugs to simply being too easy. Despite this, it's impossible not to recommend Company of Heroes 3 for the excellent game that it is.

PC Gamer - 82 / 100

Company of Heroes 3 is a spectacular RTS that manages to shine even when the main campaign doesn't.

Cultured Vultures - 8 / 10

Company of Heroes 3 doesn't nail absolutely everything and sometimes gets in its own way, but there's no denying just how good it is when firing on all cylinders.

GameWatcher - 8 / 10

Aware of its past yet looking towards the future, Company of Heroes 3 offers something for everyone. The dynamic map of Italy is a great experience, although it's slightly marred by passive AI, abilities that don't always work, small UI issues, and a gameplay loop that doesn't encourage the use of all available tools.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

Company of Heroes 3 lives up to the reputation of both its development studio and the franchise. An ambitious RTS that is not satisfied with following the line established by its predecessors and that arrives loaded with substantial novelties. A candy for fans of the genre and a must for fans of the saga.

MMORPG.com - 8 / 10

All in all, Company of Heroes 3 is great, and should be on the list for any strategy fan looking to get stuck in one more turn, or one more fight. It's a fitting inclusion in Relic's library of incredible RTS games, and continues to show why the developers there are some of the best in the business. I cannot wait to tuck myself back into the fray, delighting in its beautifully crafted RTS-goodness over and over again in the coming weeks and months.

PowerUp! - 8 / 10

If you're a fan of the series or the genre, this one is a no-brainer.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8 / 10

Company of Heroes 3 can confidently stand alongside its predecessors in the series. It's a fun real-time strategy game, although not as revolutionary or distinctive as its older siblings. The gameplay is almost the same as it was in the previous games.

Saving Content - 4 / 5

If you like the idea of grand armies and large battle maps, but found Total War: Warhammer III not to your liking, then the less intimidating Company of Heroes 3 might be up your alley instead. Relic has really branched out with this one, and while Company of Heroes 3 takes some creative liberties in the World War II stories it tells, they have an energy and heart in place of historical accuracy. Relic adding tactical pausing to Company of Heroes 3 isn’t blasphemous, it’s brilliant; Relic adding a dynamic campaign is not foolish, it is fantastic. There’s so much to love here, Company of Heroes 3 never stops giving for those who wanted more, and is a total victory for the real-time strategy genre.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

Company of Heroes 3 is a splendid and rewarding RTS game. Tense battles, brilliant map design, and streamlined unit management make it easily one of the best in the genre, with the Italian campaign acting as an exciting blueprint for the series’ future. If Relic wants to use Company of Heroes to tell serious and significant stories, though, the team needs to commit to actually doing that beyond just giving them a surface treatment.

Gamersky - Chinese - 7.2 / 10

Although the current Company of Heroes 3 is not perfect, and the designers at Relic Entertainment have had some bad ideas, the fact that this game has made it to the third title, to be honest, is enough for us old fans of the game to cheer and get excited about.

GameSpew - 7 / 10

Playing Company of Heroes 3 is a great experience if you like dynamic, tough, tactical RTS games that revolve around utilising the terrain to your advantage. But if you’re expecting a major evolution from the previous games in the series, you’ll likely come away disappointed. If you’re a fan of WWII strategy and somehow haven’t dived into the series yet, you’ll have a great time. But otherwise, you may as well stick with the original Company of Heroes.

Gameblog - French - 7 / 10

The return of Company of Heroes is full of nice surprises. Sadly, the single player part is clearly missing, the promising single player campaign does not bring any challenge. Fortunately the co-op and multiplayer are excellent.

Metro GameCentral - 7 / 10

The real-time battles are better than ever but rather than being a highlight the main story campaign is a peculiarly dull experience, that exposes the lack of genuinely new ideas.

PCGamesN - 7 / 10

The classic RTS battles carry the third entry in this once-essential series, returning more or less untouched, but alongside a bloated and unfinished campaign mode that feels at odds with the core ideas of Company of Heroes.

IGN - 6 / 10

Company of Heroes 3's single-player campaigns remix the series' signature WW2 combat, but they wrap it up in a boring, buggy strategic map and a mismatched story.

PC Invasion - 6 / 10

Company of Heroes 3 retains the gameplay of the predecessors while disappointing with the bizarre campaign decisions and lack of polish.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Navigating a tonal minefield with just enough confidence, Company of Heroes 3 is a big, refined, and beautifully textured addition to an already brilliant series.

GameOnAUS - Liked

Overall though, Company of Heroes 3 is a step forward for the series. The tactical map is a great addition to things and the ‘living battlefield’ works very well too.

Kotaku - Unscored

It may have taken 17 years and one disappointing sequel along the way, but Relic are to be commended here for somehow managing to take tactical perfection and redefining it not just for old veterans, but for a whole new generation of armchair generals as well.

Polygon - Polygon Recommends

I’m a sucker for studios that don’t play things safe. IO Interactive kept toying with the Hitman formula until the very end, Supergiant reinvents itself with every new release, and there’s not a genre that Thunderful won’t touch. With Company of Heroes 3, Relic could have easily taken the safe route — or, to put it in Sid Meier-speak, ignored the “completely new” and “improved” pillars of sequel design in favor of something familiar. Instead, it looked outward, recognized what made the best modern strategy games tick, and adopted those factors into its own formula. Company of Heroes 3 is a great sequel, yes. But it’s also just an excellent game.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

After ten years away, Company Of Heroes 3 returns with two stonkingly good single-player campaigns and a bevy of multiplayer options. Its enormous Italian operation could have more tension in the way you conquer the map, but its RTS battles remain as compelling as ever, and the sheer breadth and variety on offer here will please new and veteran players alike.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (23 February 2023) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic deployed

As a teaboo I might do the North Africa campaign. I'm disappointed that there isn't like an early access period. Was expecting to be playing as of tomorrow not Thursday. I currently go back March 3rd but I want to do my followup appointment before I go back so CoH3 time until then. Want to get the addiction out of my system so I can do stuff beyond pwn Werh/DAK players. (And get pwned in return)

COH-SITE.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

The Digital Foundry verdict, plus optimised settings for the smoothest experience.

If I had to sum up Company of Heroes 3 in a single sentence, I would say it is an excellent real-time strategy game that is technically sound - but also unambitious. I'm enjoying the game but I don't feel it's pushing boundaries in the way that its predecessors did. So, on the one hand, it does feel like a missed opportunity to a certain extent but the flip side is that it's very easy to run on very high settings across a range of hardware.

Let's be clear - the game still looks great and has a lot going for it. Geometric detail is higher, to the point where zooming in on a fruit cart in the battlefield shows each individual fruit. Similarly, Company of Heroes 3 sees a unified push to make all textures and materials authored in a physically-based manner: the metals of tanks have a really great look to them and look very different from the stone or dirt around them in terms of material quality. Textures are also generally authored at a higher resolution than ever before, and importantly, without a lot of the detail pre-painted in the diffuse texture, so they do not look overly noisy. The detail is now driven by material properties, like a modern game.

Animations are also of a high quality - zoom in on some infantry in combat and you can see them working the action of their weapons, showing obvious recoil on firing - and there are also bespoke animations per unit when reloading occurs as magazines are switched out. When combined with the granular destruction that the series is known for, where buildings explode and where every piece of cover you see can be destroyed or flattened by vehicle, then yes, Company of Heroes 3 looks quite beautiful. However, there's plenty that could benefit from further improvement.

In summary, Company of Heroes 3 is great fun and polished in many ways, but also 'safe' from a technical perspective. It's also relatively light on shader compilation #StutterStruggle, with only a handful of hitches in the initial 30 seconds of the tutorial mission, with the rest of the game playing out as smoothly as can be.

The game runs really well even at max settings, but there's still the sense that the developer should have pushed further on the GPU side: RT shadows and ambient occlusion would have made a big difference to the presentation. In short, I wasn't disappointed by the game - and I'm sure the light GPU requirements will ensure that more players get a smooth experience - but where prior series entries pushed new boundaries within the genre, Company of Heroes 3 does not.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (23 February 2023) - Information Thread, update: "A brilliant PC game lacking in technical ambition" (Digital Foundry)
  • 1 month later...

Operation Sapphire Jackal, Company of Heroes 3's first "major" update, is out today. Relic has outlined what you can expect from the patch, including the ability to earn Merits that will allow you to unlock a variety of cosmetics from the in-game store, gussying up your troops. 

The highlight of the update is the Challenges system, which will give your multiplayer and comp stomp skirmishes more purpose by letting you earn Merits that can be spent on some cosmetics in the store. You'll be able to tackle random daily challenges which will be refreshed at 5 pm PT, as well as weekly challenges available each Saturday from 5 pm PT. 

New unit skins will work in multiplayer and singleplayer, some of which you'll be able to earn through Merits or War Bonds, while others will only be available for War Bonds. To get War Bonds you'll need to spend some cash on War Bond bundles, unfortunately, but Relic says there will always be cosmetics that you'll be able to earn for free when you visit the store. 

Alongside the challenges and cosmetics are more than "1,300 bug fixes, changes and improvements". Here are some of the highlights ahead of the full patch notes:

• A small update to the Unique Player Color option. Allies will now be cool colors and enemies will be warm colors  
  • Fixed several icons and portraits with the correct Company of Heroes 3 assets  
  • All new voiceover for Gurkha Infantry 
  • Audio adjustments for map pings   
  • Added an option to enable Exclusive Control Groups. With this option, squads only occupy one control group at a time, like in previous CoH games  
  • Fixed the Recently Played With list  
  • Adjusted territory layout on (8) Mignano Gap and made minor adjustments to Strategic and Victory Point locations on (6) Gazala Landing Ground  
  • Fixed several issues where bridges did not correctly have cover  
  • Bloom was removed and we fixed blur or "haze" on the maps 

Relic stresses that it's not made a full balance pass yet, but the update still includes "several changes to help shake up multiplayer and co-op". Here are the main gameplay changes: 

• Pathfinders have had their utility and early power toned down
  • The M13/40 has also seen some reductions in power 
  • Loiters have been toned down to be less oppressive
  • Vehicles commanded to face in a different direction will turn properly instead of driving in circles 
  • Many tooltips and descriptions have been updated to better reflect the abilities, units, veterancy, and upgrades for greater clarity and information to the player  

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Company of Heroes 3 (23 February 2023) - Information Thread, update: "Operation Sapphire Jackal" (first "major" update) released