Growing number of MLB players opting out of 2020 season over coronavirus

SaysWho?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ryan-zimmerman-joe-ross-mike-leake-opt-out-of-2020-mlb-season-over-coronavirus/

"I have a 3-week-old baby. My mother has multiple sclerosis and is super high-risk; if I end up playing, I can pretty much throw out the idea of seeing her until weeks after the season is over," Zimmerman wrote.

"To be clear, I am not retiring at this time," the 35-year-old first baseman added in his statement Monday. "I have not decided on my future in baseball past 2020. But this year, I'll be staying safe at home and pulling as hard as anyone for the guys to defend our championship."

Diamondbacks pitcher Mike Leake, 32, also announced his intention to sit out 2020 on Monday. Prior to Leake's announcement Monday, the Diamondbacks released their 60-man roster, which Leake was on.

"During this global pandemic, Mike and his family had many discussions about playing this season," Leake's agent said in a statement Monday. "They took countless factors into consideration, many of which are personal to him and his family. After thorough consideration, he has chosen to opt out of playing in 2020. This was not an easy decision for Mike. He wishes the best of luck and health for his Diamondback teammates this season and he's looking forward to 2021."