Replacement for Core i-5 4670k?

Well you can get the next step down CPU, the Core i7 4770k, for looks like under $100.  That's a decent value upgrade.  $150-$200 for the 4790k isn't worth it.

That should hold you over for another year or two.  Once these next generation consoles release and developers focus more on them then you'll need to upgrade again.  But a 4770k is still capable of delivering smooth framerates in today's games.  I used the 3770k until last year, which is close to the 4770k, and it was fine.  I just upgraded because I like to play at over 100 fps, lol, and I wanted new tech to play with.  

A 4770k is a good match for your GTX 1070 - a pretty balanced affair with neither component being a bottleneck for the other.

You might want to wait a bit.  Someone on this forum probably has a 4770k just sitting around.

Just now, maddux4163 said:

What website do you see those prices? 

I was using ebay and looking at recently sold items.  But someone on these boards probably has a 4770k sitting around.  You could also visit various tech boards as some of them have For Sale/Trade areas.  I bought a used 3770k from Overclock.net.

Happy to buy from a board user 

what games? I mean, whatever is the game of the week I suppose. To this day, the PS4/XB1 can’t hold a candle to my “old” setup. The GTX 1070 will obviously need an upgrade shortly after “next gen”. Maybe the RTX 2070 would suffice for a bit later. Mainly wanted my 7 year old PC upped a bit. 

Well with newer games you can expect the framerate to be more stable, so any stuttering or dips you currently see will be lessened.  That will be the biggest impact from upgrading the CPU.

And it seems like we discussed this before, and you don't overclock currently.  If you upgrade to the 4770k and then overclock it, that will be an even better jump.  4770k is a great overclocker, and you have the best motherboard to do it on.  As long as you have a decent heatsink you'll break 4.5 GHz easy.

Yep. We’ve discussed this prior. Lol. I’ve had such good results for 7 years, hard to even wanna part with my CPU. But it’s time. Maybe the 4770k will buy me a year or two. I’ll get an RTX GPU. Then afterwards, spring for a new mobo and a newer CPU. 

Also yep. Never OC’d anything. I still see pretty amazing results from “new” games. FAR better than a console. FAR higher resolution too. 1440p. 

Yeah, that's a good plan.

Realistically the cheapest system upgrade will cost you $400:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.15 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($153.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($76.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $405.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-21 22:27 EDT-0400

It would be pretty massive, and set you up in the future nicely.

Your CPU benefits would the following:

-Core count goes from 4 to 6.

-Thread count goes from 4 to 12.

-Clockspeed and performance per clock increases

Other benefits:

-Option of installing a super fast SSD that should match the Xbox Series X requirements, if a game ever needs it.

-Option of better CPU upgrades.  Currently you can stick a 16 core processor in new mainstream motherboards, and even faster ones are yet to be released that should be compatible.

9 minutes ago, maddux4163 said:

Awesome advice and options as always! Thanks a ton!

Yep, noticeable is really the key.  Even an older Core i7 can put up 50+ fps in new games.  The older Core i5, on the other hand, has started to not be able to do that the last year or two.  So upgrading from the i5 to... anything will be noticeable.  But going from better to even better will only matter if you play a lot of multiplayer games and have 120 Hz monitor, and you really want that competitive edge.