The making of TIE Fighter: How being the bad guys changed Star Wars forever (PC Gamer)

Commissar SFLUFAN

The inside story of Totally Games' unforgettable Star Wars dogfighting sim.

"I call myself an accidental entrepreneur," says Larry Holland. That's Holland's casual way of saying he never really planned on designing some of the most popular PC games of the '80s and '90s, or aspired to meet Steven Spielberg and learn the director was a fan. His childhood dream, starting around fifth grade, was to become an archaeologist.

"I wanted to explore the world and find lost civilizations and make sure they weren't lost to time," he says. Through high school and college, Holland studied Latin, Greek, human evolution, prehistoric archaeology, anthropology. After graduating, he spent a year working and saving up for a trip around the globe. He toured Kenya and Tanzania and visited ancient sites such as the Olduvai Gorge—"sort of like the cradle of man."

None of that seemed like an obvious path toward making TIE Fighter, a groundbreaking flight sim that would have a dramatic impact on the Star Wars universe, and certainly one of the greatest Star Wars games of all time. But it's funny how these things work out.

I've been saying since the early '00's that we NEED a new Tie Fighter/X-Wing space combat simulator. LucasArts were amazing in the 90's launching so many amazing titles based around the SW property. Add in the success of No Man's Sky & Kerbal Space Program, why not have a new version set in the SW universe? It would practically sell itself for crying out loud!