My semester with the snowflakes

https://medium.com/@james.hatch/my-semester-with-the-snowflakes-888285f0e662

Interesting read, if kind of fluffy. A retired Navy SEAL went back to college at age 52, and the kids he took classes with weren't what he had expected. 

There is an exceptional young woman from Chicago who wrote a piece for the Yale Daily news expressing the importance of public demonstrations in the light of a recent police shooting. She and I are polar opposites. I am the “patriarchy” at first glance, and she is a young black woman who is keen on public protests. Not the type of soul I generally find myself in a conversation with. We come from different worlds and yet we both read classic works with open hearts and minds.

I hear the term occasionally from buddies of mine who I love, they say things like; “how are things up there with the liberal snowflakes?”
Let me assure you, I have not met one kid who fits that description. None of the kids I’ve met seem to think that they are “special” any more than any other 18–22-year-old. These kids work their assess off. I have asked a couple of them to help me with my writing. One young woman volunteered to help me by proof-reading my “prose” and, for the record, I believe she will be the President someday.

• Thanks 1

Of course they're working their asses off, they're largely the upper crust "meritocracy" crowd, whose hard work (plus pedigree, connections, luck, and talent) will lead to a successful upper middle class career. You don't stand a chance of even getting into these institutions without being incredibly hard working from a young age. Graduating there opens doors anywhere you go. Doing well can open doors that aren't accessable to literally anyone else. Hell, part of the reason this got picked up was because he went to Yale and not, for example, Central Michigan.

These are the kids who never got a participant trophy, always first place (or God forbid second)