BO Report: Shazam! strikes at number 1, Dumbo falls HARD

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4501&p=.htm

At the top of the box office, Warner Bros.'s release of New Line's Shazam! delivered just above expectations with an estimated $53.4 million for a cumulative total that stands at $56.7 million once you add in grosses from the late March, Fandango special event. The film was well received by critics and opening weekend audiences alike, the latter of which giving the film an "A" CinemaScore with males making up 57% of the crowd and 55% of the opening weekend audience coming in aged 25 years or older.

Looking ahead, Shazam!'s debut isn't too far behind Marvel's Ant-Man ($57.2m opening). Ant-Man went on to deliver a 3.1x multiplier in 2015, which is just ahead of the average multiplier for a film in the DC Extended Universe. This would suggest Shazam! could be looking at a $160+ million domestic run should word of mouth give it an assist over the coming weeks ahead of the April 26 opening of Avengers: Endgame.

Taking the bronze medal, Disney's Dumbo took a hard fall, dropping -60% in its second weekend for an estimated $18.2 million, bringing the film's domestic me to over $76 million. The reported $170 million production is struggling to match expectations for a Disney title of this sort, suffering a sophomore weekend drop similar to 2016's Alice Through the Looking Glass, which only managed a 2.86x multiplier. Internationally, the pic brought in an estimated $39.6 million from 55 markets for an overseas cume that now totals $137.5 million and a global tally that is now just shy of $214 million.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2019&wknd=14&p=.htm

Those numbers are both kinda what I expect.

DC has some great characters.  Shazam is probably a third tier character in therms of popularity - about the same as antman.  I can't wait until they get their A list characters right again.

As for Dumbo, please stop giving Tim Burton beloved children's stories to remake.  

That is a solid number for Shazam, about what Marvel was doing with their really low noteriety characters in the early to mid run of the MCU. DC needs to keep working on developing good individual characters and they will be in good shape moving forward.

I think Shazam was very good at accomplishing what it set out to do, but I do think it skews toward a younger audience a bit. I'm glad it's doing well enough. I didn't love it, but I think it's still probably my favorite of the recent DC flicks.

I haven't seen Dumbo, but I'm a bit surprised it's doing so poorly. Still, I think Disney will be fine. I'm sure that, even if it sucks, Aladdin will make plenty, and I'm quite bullish on Lion King. I feel like it's got a real shot at $500M depending on how things turn out.

Just now when I was double checking that both those were coming out this year, I completely didn't realize that Aladdin is coming out first. I feel like the Lion King hype is just so much bigger, and I also feel like it's been going on for longer, but maybe that's just my warped perception.

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

I think Shazam was very good at accomplishing what it set out to do, but I do think it skews toward a younger audience a bit. I'm glad it's doing well enough. I didn't love it, but I think it's still probably my favorite of the recent DC flicks.

I haven't seen Dumbo, but I'm a bit surprised it's doing so poorly. Still, I think Disney will be fine. I'm sure that, even if it sucks, Aladdin will make plenty, and I'm quite bullish on Lion King. I feel like it's got a real shot at $500M depending on how things turn out.

Just now when I was double checking that both those were coming out this year, I completely didn't realize that Aladdin is coming out first. I feel like the Lion King hype is just so much bigger, and I also feel like it's been going on for longer, but maybe that's just my warped perception.

I've wondered for a while:

With Disney as big as it is, with it responsible for Walt Disney Animation/Pixar/Star Wars/Marvel/Fox/etc. etc. etc., and knowing that they've had up times (90s) and down times (00s), what effects will they have on the movie industry when their products begin to stagnate/not sell as many tickets/push as much Disney streaming/sell as many digital downloads and home video?

Just seems like they're riding high now and doing great things with their properties, so I've been really enjoying their output, but as many here have said, it's not good for the consumer that they're so big. At the same time, I'd be REALLY curious at yearly total domestic box office receipts whenever their down period comes, which for all we know may not be for a long time.

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I've wondered for a while:

With Disney as big as it is, with it responsible for Walt Disney Animation/Pixar/Star Wars/Marvel/Fox/etc. etc. etc., and knowing that they've had up times (90s) and down times (00s), what effects will they have on the movie industry when their products begin to stagnate/not sell as many tickets/push as much Disney streaming/sell as many digital downloads and home video?

Just seems like they're riding high now and doing great things with their properties, so I've been really enjoying their output, but as many here have said, it's not good for the consumer that they're so big. At the same time, I'd be REALLY curious at yearly total domestic box office receipts whenever their down period comes, which for all we know may not be for a long time.

That's a good question, but I also think it's worth considering that they might not have a down time. There are so many parts of Disney that work semi-independently that could potentially prop up the whole enterprise that it's hard to imagine the whole thing taking a nosedive at once. Sure, maybe the live action remakes stop raking in billions, but then there's still Pixar or Disney Animation, or Star Wars, or Marvel, or Avatar, or Fox. At this point it's just so hard to imagine all of them being bad (or at least failing at the box office) at the same time.

Still, to your point, I do think it's possible that we're simultaneously at the peak for a few of these things. I think it's possible that Star Wars post Skywalker Saga isn't invincible. It's possible that Marvel trends slightly downhill post Endgame, or maybe after the current crop (Black Panther, Guardians, etc.) end their runs. It's likely that Lion King represents the high point (box office wise) of the live action remake. So while I don't think it's likely we see everything drop off a cliff at the same time, I do think it's plausible that we see total box office receipts drop as some of these tentpoles revert to the mean.