I got into it with someone at PAX over an everdrive being an emulator

Rodimus

I was at PAX South this weekened and was at the NES Maker booth. We where talking about playing the games you make. I said I could put the game on my Everdrive and play it on my NES. He said that the everdrive is an emulator and it wouldn't work. I explained to him that an everdrive is not an emulator. He said the NES Maker games require a mapper they created. I said fine then you just add the mapper to the file. He was adimt that the Everdrive is emulating an NES because the NES games have chips they use completely saying the NES doesn't have a CPU and PPU to process the game. I said he was wrong. He admitted to not having one or ever using an Everdrive. Then the other guy stepped in and told the other guy that games wil work on the everdirve as long as they have the mapper. The other guy said that if the everdirve uses a file then it is emulation. Then the guy corrected him and we came to an understanding that he didn't know anything about an everdrive and that I could play my games I created on an Everdrive.

Man that guy was dumb but not shocking. You have no idea how often people get shit wrong that is easily google-able.

19 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

I thought an everdrive was a flashcartridge used to play pirated games on the original hardware?

Yes but also a dev tool. Man back in the gba/ps1 era, we used a few different methods created for piracy as a means to do licensed game development. 

:shrug:

4 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Man that guy was dumb but not shocking. You have no idea how often people get shit wrong that is easily google-able.

Yes but also a dev tool. Man back in the gba/ps1 era, we used a few different methods created for piracy as a means to do licensed game development. 

:shrug:

Not sure there are many legitimate SNES devs left. :)

1 hour ago, mikechorney said:

Not sure there are many legitimate SNES devs left. :)

Retro development is still alive and kicking. 

Yet again I do agree with your point, 90% of the people who own these are most likely pirates. I'm just pointing out that some do use them for legitimate reasons.