Noob question about getting Dolby Atmos when your TV is really old.

Jason

I'm looking at getting a Sony soundbar that does Atmos, but I'm still using a Panasonic plasma, which is way too old to pass Atmos through the HDMI port. But I could get around that by just hooking things up source->soundbar->TV instead of source->TV->soundbar, right? 

45 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Definitely possible, my cheapish Vizio Atmos bar has two HDMI (in and out) for such a thing. But as usual, look up the specs and/or manual for what you're buying to verify.

I have orders in for these two (plan on returning one, just wanted to get the orders in while the prices are dropped). Upside of the JBL is it comes with the subwoofer, but having to buy the subwoofer and rear speakers separately for the Sony isn't a huge deal since I have Amex credits that reset in January that I'd use to buy them. Downside of the JBL is from brief Googling it apparently can't do 120 Hz VRR and 4K at the same time, but I'm probably at least a couple of years out from getting a new TV so it seems maybe not worth worrying about trying to future-proof the soundbar purchase on that front when it's only gonna be $300 out of pocket anyhow.

WWW.DELL.COM

Discover a whole new level of immersion. The HT-A7000 envelops you in authentic 7.1.2-channel surround sound with multiple speakers, S-Force PRO Front Surround and Vertical Surround Engine. Feel the action happening above and all around you.

WWW.DELL.COM

You've never heard anything like the JBL BAR 1300X - in your living room or anywhere else. More than just a great soundbar, it's a full sound system. It features MultiBeam and six up-firing drivers - four in the bar and two in the detachable battery-powered surround speakers - that deliver massive Dolby Atmos and DTS: X 3D surround sound, centering you in your music, movies, and games. 1170W of total output power and...

47 minutes ago, Jason said:

I have orders in for these two (plan on returning one, just wanted to get the orders in while the prices are dropped). Upside of the JBL is it comes with the subwoofer, but having to buy the subwoofer and rear speakers separately for the Sony isn't a huge deal since I have Amex credits that reset in January that I'd use to buy them. Downside of the JBL is from brief Googling it apparently can't do 120 Hz VRR and 4K at the same time, but I'm probably at least a couple of years out from getting a new TV so it seems maybe not worth worrying about trying to future-proof the soundbar purchase on that front when it's only gonna be $300 out of pocket anyhow.

WWW.DELL.COM

Discover a whole new level of immersion. The HT-A7000 envelops you in authentic 7.1.2-channel surround sound with multiple speakers, S-Force PRO Front Surround and Vertical Surround Engine. Feel the action happening above and all around you.

WWW.DELL.COM

You've never heard anything like the JBL BAR 1300X - in your living room or anywhere else. More than just a great soundbar, it's a full sound system. It features MultiBeam and six up-firing drivers - four in the bar and two in the detachable battery-powered surround speakers - that deliver massive Dolby Atmos and DTS: X 3D surround...

Either should be good options when you plug your device directly into them.

The picture (120hz, VRR, etc) features aren't much of a big deal. When you get a new TV with eARC, you can just plug your devices into the TV which will then pass Atmos to the sound bar.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Either should be good options when you plug your device directly into them.

The picture (120hz, VRR, etc) features aren't much of a big deal. When you get a new TV with eARC, you can just plug your devices into the TV which will then pass Atmos to the sound bar.

Ah okay, hadn't thought of the bolded. That nudges me toward the JBL then I think since there's no guarantee Dell will still be selling the Sony subwoofer and rears come January.

A soundbar isn’t going to actually give you real Atmos unless you purchase a multi-speaker one with up-firing speakers on the surrounds so it may not really matter, but your soundbar should have a pass through hdmi out which you’d use to go to the TV while other devices use the HDMI ins on the soundbar.

I believe that JBL is the better of the two you posted btw. 
If you can afford to throw an extra $400 (which is a lot, I know) this is one of the best out there, especially at this sale price:

https://www.amazon.com/Nakamichi-Shockwafe-Soundbar-Subwoofers-Technology/dp/B08Z37YTVG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=2LCC3U8U849KT&keywords=nakamichi+dragon+11.4.6+soundbar&qid=1700912876&sprefix=nakamichi%2Caps%2C390&sr=8-1-spons&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

The “absolute best” soundbar is their Dragon model (which is back ordered until January and costs almost $4k :p )

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I believe that JBL is the better of the two you posted btw. 
If you can afford to throw an extra $400 (which is a lot, I know) this is one of the best out there, especially at this sale price:

https://www.amazon.com/Nakamichi-Shockwafe-Soundbar-Subwoofers-Technology/dp/B08Z37YTVG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=2LCC3U8U849KT&keywords=nakamichi+dragon+11.4.6+soundbar&qid=1700912876&sprefix=nakamichi%2Caps%2C390&sr=8-1-spons&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

The “absolute best” soundbar is their Dragon model (which is back ordered until January and costs almost $4k :p )

So with the Sony you buy the subwoofer and rears separately. These are the more expensive option for the rears (two options for rears, two options for subwoofer):

WWW.DELL.COM

Experience true surround sound with wireless rear speakers with up-firing speakers and built-in battery power for cable-free positioning. When combined with compatible soundbars, these...

Anything not available through Dell doesn't do me much good since the Amex credits I'm using are specific to Dell and I've got $600 worth of those credits to use.

I'm currently just using stereo on a receiver that doesn't even have HDMI ports, so good virtualized Atmos would be a step up. Plus apartment building with thin walls so a proper Atmos setup with all the speakers would likely get complaints from the neighbors. :p