Comedian Lewis Black to retire from touring

SaysWho?

WWW.CHORTLE.CO.UK

Lewis Black to retire from touring - US comic, 75, has been performing up to 200 shows a year

The 75-year-old – who has also been a regular on The Daily Show in all of its 28 seasons – says his last dates will be at the end of next year.

Black broke the news on his Rantcast podcast, and also posted the relevant clip on Instagram.

I've been to six of his shows and was able to meet him backstage last year via invitation (which I still can't believe). I loved him as a comic, but meeting him and finding out he was still great was a relief since "never meet your heroes."

Gonna miss him touring, but I kind of figured he was going to finish soon. His last special was really really good, and it's available or free on Youtube.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

So one of the coolest things that happened to me last year was meeting him backstage. I interviewed him and he told me he liked the interview and asked me to come backstage after the show when he was in town. And for months between the interview and him actually being there, I wondered if he would actually remember that he said that, and  sure enough, I had will call tickets waiting for me and my better half.

He was so great. I was honestly worried that maybe he would be worse than I thought, you know, never meet your heroes. But he was great and I’ll never forget that moment and then night. So, if you like him, rest assured that you’re not liking somebody who secretly terrible. 😎 

edit: actually, on that note, my favorite moment was when we were going to take pictures at the end. I took a picture with him by myself, and then I wanted to take a picture of my girlfriend, me and him. So we both had asked him to  stand in the middle, and he looked at my girlfriend and tells her no you should probably go in the middle. She’s like are you sure? He goes, “Yeah you’re the best looking one of three of us. Me and him, well fuck.”

• Haha 3