INDIKA (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Dostoyevsky-inspired, narrative-driven adventure about a young Orthodox nun (and the devil) set in alternate 19th century Russia, update (05/10): reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Play a third-person, story-driven game set in alternative Russia of the late XIX century where religious visions clash with harsh reality. INDIKA tells the story of a young nun who sets off on a journey of self-discovery with the most unusual companion by her side, the devil himself.

INDIKA is a third-person, story-driven game set in a strange world where religious visions clash with harsh reality. It tells the story of a young nun who sets off on a journey of self-discovery with the most unusual, horn-headed companion by her side.

On the outside, Indika seems to be a typical nun attempting to adjust to a difficult and monotonous monastery life. Humble and innocent in her appearance, do not be deceived as this young girl has also made a highly unlikely acquaintance—as she speaks with the devil himself.

Indika’s unusual connection with the Evil One leads her on an errand beyond the safe walls of the monastery. The world she discovers can only be described as a wild combination of comedy and tragedy straight out of the novels by Dostoyevski and Bulhakov.

Do our religious beliefs make us better people or are they simply there to help constrain us? Are those who exert control over our lives really the ones we should listen to? Indika will have to find answers to these and many more questions before she finishes her life-defining odyssey.

Developed by Odd Meter, a small, independent studio formerly based in Moscow and now operating out of Kazakhstan, INDIKA is meant to encourage its players to think critically with a side of chaos to keep things interesting. An existential wrestling match with no holds barred, INDIKA will be making its way to launch in 2024.

A couple of articles about the studio and how developers had to leave Russia for their opposition to the war with Ukraine.

WWW.POLYGON.COM

Developer Odd Meter is working on its next game, Indika

Russian video game studio Odd Meter was one year into the development of Indika, a game set in an alternate 19th-century Russia, when the Russian government launched a devastating attack on Ukraine. Hundreds of thousands of Russians fled the country, many of whom opposed the war on Ukraine — including the majority of Odd Meter's developers, according to studio founder Dmitry Svetlow.

"You're living in some kind of nightmare," Svetlow said. "Something happened that should have never happened."

Polish publisher 11 bit studios signed on to publish the game, and has continued to support Odd Meter throughout Indika's development — something Svetlow expected to be pulled at the start of the war, both because the studio is Russian and because this is a game inspired by Russian culture and history. Svetlow also described his initial feelings of guilt surrounding the situation: "I had that feeling that they should do it [pull out of the partnership]," Svetlow said. "I spent the last year getting rid of that guilt, because rationally I understood I shouldn't feel it. I'm the person who should call myself a patriot, not those who kill Ukranians, or send Russians to die."

He continued: "After this announcement and my statements, it's better not to come back [to Russia]. Many people have said, when I show them my statements, that I'm crazy — because I've already spoken about things that are against a few laws, the most dangerous of which is being a traitor of the homeland. It could cost you 20 years in prison."

WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Russian developer Odd Meter discuss fleeing Moscow to Kazakhstan and how their anger about Putin's regime is expressed …

It's rare that a developer explicitly introduces their game to you as "boring", and Indika seems anything but. Created by Odd Meter, the studio behind the well-received fantasy VR bow simulator Sacralith: The Archer's Tale, and published by Frostpunk developer 11 bit Studios, it's a "very serious adventure game" set in 19th century Russia, which casts you as a troubled young Orthodox Christian nun. Awash with doubts about her faith, and persecuted by a mysterious creature, the woman flees her nunnery and falls in with an escaped convict, who tells her of a mysterious "holy elder" who might ease her troubles, drawing on the power of a sacred artefact.

The game's setting is naturalistic, with motion-captured facial animations and photorealistic buildings and interiors, wrought using Unreal Engine. But it is also a "fairy tale" landscape, in the words of studio co-founder Dmitry Setlov, shot through with phantasmagorical flourishes - monochrome or blood-red filters and apparent hallucinations, to say nothing of the aforesaid creature, a skulking mass of tendrils that puts me in mind of the Shadow from Ursula K Le Guin's novel A Wizard Of Earthsea.

Indika's portrayal of religion and doubt draws upon Svetlov's own loss of faith, and his sense of how Putin's regime has worked hand in glove with the Russian Orthodox Church (if you want context, this article from The Conversation seems to offer a solid overview of Church-State relations in Russia). "I come from a very religious family," he continues. "As a child, I spent weekends in church, lived with my mother in a monastery, and so on. But at some point, I began to understand that religion achieves goals that are directly opposite to those stated.

"I see religion as the philosophy of war with its uncompromising nature, while I think peace is always a result of some compromise," he goes on. "It's no wonder that religion has now become one of Putin's propaganda weapons. So no, I'm not a believer. I would say [I'm] a militant non-believer." This rejection of the Church comes across in one of the 2020 announcement trailer's more farcical moments, when a tiny man clambers from an older nun's mouth and scurries down a cleric's arm to disrupt the ceremony of Holy Communion.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to INDIKA (PC/PS5/Xbox Series, 2024) - Dostoyevsky-inspired, narrative-driven adventure about a young Orthodox nun (and the devil) set in alternate 19th century Russia from a studio forced to flee Russia for its anti-war stance
50 minutes ago, stepee said:

Man you enjoyed writing that thread title so much. Definitely sounds interesting as a premise, will watch what they develop.

I honestly tried to summarize as much as I could for the thread title and still retain enough information to generate interest!

49 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh there’s already pics and stuff, looks good. UE5?

I believe that it's using UE4.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Game Information

Game Title: Indika

Platforms:

• PC (May 2, 2024)

Developer: Odd Meter

Publisher: 11 Bit Studios

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 77 average - 74% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Try Hard Guides - Erik Hodges - 10 / 10

INDIKA is an utterly unique, psychedelic, and strange title, telling a wonderful, thought-provoking story filled with striking imagery and wonderfully bleak humor.

Rectify Gaming - 9.5 / 10

Indika offers players a captivating experience that blends dark wit reminiscent of literary giants like Dostoyevski and Bulgakov with a daring exploration of serious and controversial themes. Delving into topics such as religion, authority, and identity, the game fearlessly challenges the norms of the gaming industry. Its bold approach provokes thought and invites players to reconsider conventional expectations. In doing so, Indika delivers a unique and refreshing gaming experience that leaves a lasting impression.

Use a Potion - 9.5 / 10

Indika is uniquely brilliant in its own peculiar way, with the bizarre yet enthralling narrative unlike any that I’ve seen in a game before. It’s suspenseful, thought-provoking, and bizarre in equal measure, yet it had me utterly enthralled from start to end. It looks absolutely gorgeous too, and whilst the slower pace of the gameplay won’t be for everyone, it has enough ideas on show with its interactivity and puzzling to keep players engaged.

It’s just a compelling experience that I adored being a part of. I don’t want to give too much about Indika away because its constant surprises are one of its greatest strengths, but believe me, you wouldn’t have played anything quite like this before.

EIP Gaming - Daniel D - 9.3 / 10

Short and sweet, INDIKA uses the third-person adventure game medium to tell a compelling story of a young nun struggling with life, good and evil, and the voice of the devil in her head. The influence of both serious cinema and Russian philosophical novels come together to form the most compelling game I've played so far this year. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll feel weird, and you'll wonder what the word "evil" really means anyway.

AnaitGames - Víctor Manuel Martínez García - Spanish - 9 / 10

With a sensitivity that is rare to see and a very marked intentionality, Odd Meter reflects on faith and meaning in one of the most unique and powerful games of the year.

But Why Tho? - Katherine Kong - 9 / 10

INDIKA grounds intrigue with its arthouse cinematic flair and satire. It engages curiosity and entertainment. Its world is shrouded in emptiness and questions that mirror Indika’s internal struggles.

Game Rant - Shane Robert Moyer - 4.5 / 5

Indika hits incredibly high levels of zaniness and suspense and mixes the two so well that it creates a sought-after experience. Players will want to keep playing just to know how it ends, and most storytellers would love to hear that is their listeners' motivation. The game dips its toes in both the surreal and real in equal measure, and winds up being an enjoyable tale even through the most boring walking simulator-like parts. Odd Meter is doing interactive story-telling right, and Indika is a tale that will delight many and have them questioning everything.

Shacknews - Josh Broadwell - 9 / 10

Indika isn't an easy game to score. Tedious puzzles annoy in the moment, but they're easy to overlook in the broader scheme. Indika's underdeveloped theme stands out, but Odd Meter handles everything else so adeptly that it doesn't ruin the experience, even if it is slightly soured. As trite as it sounds, this really is one game you have to play for yourself and form your own conclusions - and that's probably just how Odd Meter wants it.

The Games Machine - Daniele Dolce - Italian - 9 / 10

INDIKA's gameplay is at the service of its narrative, so as to tell an allegorical and satirical story about religious institutions and the power they have over people. It is a story that deals with existential themes in an often surreal way, taking advantage of a staging that thrives on contrasts and dissonances, managing to convey a message while always keeping the balance between the serious and the irreverent (and at times even blasphemous) irony.

Windows Central - Cole Martin - 4.5 / 5

Mundane chores in a convent and trekking across the frozen Russian tundra as a Nun doesn't sound like the best way to spend an evening, but the devil is in the details, here. Odd Meter, the developers behind Indika, have found a way to make this seemingly simple story work with the power of environmental puzzles, dark humor, and light psychological horror. Oh, and just a touch of experimental game design. You love to see it.

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 80 / 100

Indika is something different, and I encourage you to try it by all means. Its full price is $25, and for such a price, it will deliver, no doubt. If those religious-fueled, bizarre stories are your cup of tea, you mustn't miss this game. However, be prepared for the controversy, some topics everyone are rather avoiding speaking about, and some strange gameplay mechanics that will definitely make you utterly confused.

CGMagazine - Ridge Harripersad - 8 / 10

Indika was like a four-and-a-half hour long movie that heavily relies on the voice actors and its characters to tell a remarkable tale.

Everyeye.it - Gennaro Saraino   - Italian - 8 / 10

There are few games that have dared to tackle religious themes with such sensitivity, and Indika is certainly one of them. It is a peculiar title that may struggle to be known to the general public, but we believe that those who are lucky enough to try it will keep a good memory of it. For better or for worse.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 8 / 10

Indika is one of the most surreal games we've ever played. And while it's short, it's easy for us to recommended thanks to its dark and unpredictable story and thoughtful, engaging puzzles.

GameSpot - Jake Dekker - 8 / 10

Indika is a gorgeous psychological adventure that grapples with religion and the many difficult themes associated with it.

Gameffine - Subhasish Das - 80 / 100

Indika is a bold take on a memorable story that feels original to its core. Via unconventional story elements, it challenges players to question faith, authority, and the nature of good and evil. However, it struggles in gameplay due to uninspired puzzles which are partly redeemed by its sweet yet short 8-bit platformer sequences.

Gamepressure - Krzysztof Mysiak - 8 / 10

Indika is more than a game. It’s a fascinating, one-of-a-kind experience, playing with conventions and instilling disturbing thoughts in our heads. If only developers didn’t desperately try to avoid sticking a “walking sim” label to their work…

God is a Geek - Chris White - 8 / 10

Indika is an ambitious game that's focus on religion is the driving force in its engaging narrative, with simple puzzles and linear gameplay.

VG247 - Kelsey Raynor - 4 / 5

Ultimately, the more you give to Indika, the more you get out of it; whether it’s pondering the philosophical questions it asks you or soaking in the environment… just don’t anticipate any concrete answers. Indika wants you to come to those conclusions yourself, much like its troubled protagonist.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 8 / 10

Indika is an odd, wonderful title.  Mixing 3D photo-realistic art with 2D-pixel graphics makes some bold choices.  Excellent writing and voice acting help carry mediocre gameplay and created an experience I will never forget.

ZdobywcyGier.eu - Paweł Bortkiewicz - Polish - 8 / 10

INDIKA is a game that, with its specific themes, can intrigue the player and attract for a longer time. This was the case for me, especially since I am a huge fan of the directors who inspired the story. I am wholeheartedly able to recommend the game to people who like specific and unusual story experiences. I will look forward with curiosity to the next game from Odd Meter.

Zoomg - Afshin Piroozi - Persian - 8 / 10

Indika delves into the subjects like faith and explores them from a nun's point of view. the good news is that the game does this almost perfectly and even though there are some missed potentials in gameplay, the story telling and overall experience is definitely worth playing.

eXputer - Daniyal Sultan Malik - 4 / 5

INDIKA presents an intriguing narrative that features complex ideas and critical thinking complimented with amazing visuals.

PC Gamer - Shaun Prescott - 79 / 100

A bizarre, confronting and darkly funny descent into hell, Indika takes a lot of risks and mostly sticks the landing.

3DNews - Александр Бабулин - Russian - 7.5 / 10

Imperfect and insufficiently interactive, but an original game with thick atmosphere and interesting topics.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 75 / 100

Indika has a compelling and genuinely original story to tell. It’s by turns darkly humorous, thought-provoking, philosophically challenging, and emotionally shocking. It’s weird, too, but sometimes more attached to its off-kilter elements than it should be. Things like ignoring fun and narrative consistency for the sake of being quirky feel like missteps when they waste the player’s time or slow the pace. Indika is definitely original and sometimes daring, but stumbles a bit in its execution. Imperfect or not, I can’t help but admire the look of the game, the memorable characters, and the audacious themes.

Spaziogames - Domenico Musicò - Italian - 7.3 / 10

INDIKA is a walking simulator with a thought-provoking story about faith, personal beliefs and strong criticism toward orthodox Church and the Russian regime.

Atarita - Alparslan Gürlek - Turkish - 70 / 100

INDIKA's story is really interesting and the main idea is very well realised. You can solve platform puzzles or play mini-games in this game with a strong cinematic narrative. However, the short length of the game destroyed my sense of satisfaction.

GameLuster - Jess Clayton-Berry - 7 / 10

While INDIKA is otherwise a unique, compelling and well-designed narrative puzzle game, its abrupt ending left a sour taste in my mouth. This tale of a nun's journey of self discovery is memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Screen Rant - Leo Faierman - 3.5 / 5

As an existential piece peppered with surrealist agitprop, Indika feels successfully distinct. There’s even something convincingly personal about the story that ably cuts a path through its weirdness, a core built around toxic romantic relationships. None of its decisions and ideas seem beholden to interference, but like an original concept produced with integrity and personality. Even if stretches of Indika may not be “fun” in the conventional sense, it’s an intimate and stimulating experience that sticks around long after it's over.

TechRaptor - Joe Allen - 7 / 10

Indika is a very strange beast, but its rote gameplay often fails to match the weird and wonderful qualities of its story.

GameSkinny - Ashley Erickson - 6 / 10

Indika is a creative, thoughtful narrative game with puzzle and platforming elements. However, it's not a title for the average gamer.

GameMAG - Russian - 5 / 10

To put it bluntly, INDIKA is a pretentious nothing. A theatrical production with a poorly written idea tried to put it in the form of a game, which is severely lacking both story and gameplay.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Indika puts a spotlight on Christianity in a specific way that I've never seen before. Thankfully, it mostly succeeds in its thoughtful premise and stays within its welcome.

Entertainium - Gareth Brading - Worth your time

While the ending is rather anticlimactic and doesn’t really resolve anything (perhaps being set aside for a sequel), the journey across snow swept alternate 19th Century Russia in the shoes of a struggling nun was a memorable and worthwhile one. The writing is consistently interesting as Indika vacillates between her own concepts of good and evil, those of the Russian Orthodox Church, and those temptations and evil thoughts whispered into her mind by the Devil metaphorically on her shoulder. While she always tries to do the right thing, society and the establishment don’t necessarily see it that way. If you’re looking for a narrative adventure which is stylishly pushing the genre forward, Indika absolutely delivers.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to INDIKA (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Dostoyevsky-inspired, narrative-driven adventure about a young Orthodox nun (and the devil) set in alternate 19th century Russia, update (05/10): reviews from OpenCritic posted