Dark Souls anime Netflix series

netflix-logo-another-e1657745435189.jpg
WWW.GIANTFREAKINROBOT.COM

We've exclusively learned that Netflix is developing an anime series based on one of the greatest video games of all time.

Netflix isn’t giving up on anime adaptations just yet. Our trusted and proven sources tell us the streamer is developing an anime series based on the acclaimed video game Dark Souls. This could mark a new era for Netflix, as the Dark Souls anime would be one of the company’s first truly original anime series.

• Guillotine 1

42 minutes ago, legend said:

That's a tall order! Not sure I would want to compete with the original series in a reboot.

Very true but the original 1997 anime only adapted the first 13 volumes of the manga. There is so much more good stuff to see animated and I want a full reboot, 2D, cel-animated, hand-drawn series like Castlevania but for Berserk, adapting it accurately. Definitely a tall order and will probably never happen. The two seasons of Berserk we got in 2016/2017 (covering some of the unadapted manga material) was fine but that is not the art style or animation Berserk deserved.

19 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Very true but the original 1997 anime only adapted the first 13 volumes of the manga. There is so much more good stuff to see animated and I want a full reboot, 2D, cel-animated, hand-drawn series like Castlevania but for Berserk, adapting it accurately. Definitely a tall order and will probably never happen. The two seasons of Berserk we got in 2016/2017 (covering some of the unadapted manga material) was fine but that is not the art style or animation Berserk deserved.

I'll be honest, I haven't bothered with the 2016/2017 continuations because I heard they suck and I don't want to taint it :p 

I wasn't sure I was going to like the 1997 series as I came to it late (a few years ago maybe?), but it really resonated with me. I can't even explain why. It just works. If they could match its quality and do the "whole" manga it would be great (especially since I don't read manga), but it would be a big lift.

Castlevania is a good comparison though. I would probably trust that team the most if anyone did it, but I suspect they're busy :p 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

I'll be honest, I haven't bothered with the 2016/2017 continuations because I heard they suck and I don't want to taint it :p 

I wasn't sure I was going to like the 1997 series as I came to it late (a few years ago maybe?), but it really resonated with me. I can't even explain why. It just works. If they could match its quality and do the "whole" manga it would be great (especially since I don't read manga), but it would be a big lift.

Castlevania is a good comparison though. I would probably trust that team the most if anyone did it, but I suspect they're busy :p 

I highly recommend reading the manga even if you are not a manga reader. I watched the 1997 anime way back when and then went and read the manga and it's probably in my top 5 reads of all time. Either way, that being said, the 2016/2017 continuations aren't bad. The adapted material is too good to make bad. It's just not nearly as good as the manga and the art/animation suffer the most but despite many not liking it I felt it was out of proportion. The material is so good and the anime tries at least so it's still solid but also incomplete since there's even more manga. It's also not an elegant continuation of the 1997 anime since it skips a couple of volumes but works well enough.

The Castlevania team even had a Berserk easter egg in season 4, so I know they know about it! It can be done but never will be. 

castlevania-berserk-1266469.jpg?width=12
COMICBOOK.COM

The fourth and final season of Castlevania is set to arrive next month, bringing to a close the [...]

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I highly recommend reading the manga even if you are not a manga reader. I watched the 1997 anime way back when and then went and read the manga and it's probably in my top 5 reads of all time. Either way, that being said, the 2016/2017 continuations aren't bad. The adapted material is too good to make bad. It's just not nearly as good as the manga and the art/animation suffer the most but despite many not liking it I felt it was out of proportion. The material is so good and the anime tries at least so it's still solid but also incomplete since there's even more manga. It's also not an elegant continuation of the 1997 anime since it skips a couple of volumes but works well enough.

The Castlevania team even had a Berserk easter egg in season 4, so I know they know about it! It can be done but never will be. 

castlevania-berserk-1266469.jpg?width=12
COMICBOOK.COM

The fourth and final season of Castlevania is set to arrive next month, bringing to a close the [...]

Maybe I'll give the sequel series a chance some time.

Manga is hard for me to get into because the I feel like this medium of art benefits so much from color! Why they don't have more color mangas is beyond me. If that one aspect was different, I'd probably pick it and a lot of other mangas up.

Granted I don't read many western graphic novels either, but I did finally read The Last Ronin and it's hard to imagine something like that not having color. It would have been so much less. My wife keeps insisting I read Sandman, which I really ought to do...

• True 1

15 hours ago, legend said:

Maybe I'll give the sequel series a chance some time.

Manga is hard for me to get into because the I feel like this medium of art benefits so much from color! Why they don't have more color mangas is beyond me. If that one aspect was different, I'd probably pick it and a lot of other mangas up.

Granted I don't read many western graphic novels either, but I did finally read The Last Ronin and it's hard to imagine something like that not having color. It would have been so much less. My wife keeps insisting I read Sandman, which I really ought to do...

The Sandman is another excellent graphic novel series! I'm with you about no color, music, moving animation, etc. definitely means you have a lot more you have to leave to the imagination but you begin to get a feel on how to read it and fill in color, etc. with your mind over time. I believe the reason it's not colored is because the chapters are drawn weekly, every two weeks, or once a month on typically cheap paper for quick printing so color just isn't in the cards. Sometimes you do get a couple color pages as a bonus when the actual volume compiling a certain set of chapters drops later but even then it's mostly black and white (this is the case with most manga).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The Sandman is another excellent graphic novel series! I'm with you about no color, music, moving animation, etc. definitely means you have a lot more you have to leave to the imagination but you begin to get a feel on how to read it and fill in color, etc. with your mind over time. I believe the reason it's not colored is because the chapters are drawn weekly, every two weeks, or once a month on typically cheap paper for quick printing so color just isn't in the cards. Sometimes you do get a couple color pages as a bonus when the actual volume compiling a certain set of chapters drops later but even then it's mostly black and white (this is the case with most manga).

Yeah I can see why it would be BW for the weekly release, but I would expect popular mangas to typically have full color releases when they’re popular. But that seems like a rare exception. 

I’m mostly aphantasic so imagining the color is kind of a no go for me :p

• Shocked 1