Sonic Superstars - Classic Sonic Gameplay With a New 3D Look | October 16, 2023

Keyser_Soze

One thing that strikes me is that it very much feels like a game designed for single player. Works great for me, but I can imagine how it doesn’t work to just throw three more players in there. Also I don’t get the point of having the magic powers thing. You can use them pretty much any time but it just never seems like you need them? Idk mebe that changes.

They definitely need to retire the 2D stages in the next Frontiers that’s for sure. No use in keeping around significantly worse playing side scrolling Sonic. Keep all the “traditional” levels 3D or something new. 

Hopefully this does well and they give it a bigger budget for a sequel. Though I’m afraid either way the lesson Sega is going to take is that they should concentrate less on single player and more on multiplayer if there is a next one by this team.

Very cool section referencing

Fantasy Zone

in one of these late game stages. 

I have a sense of how much content there is here now, and it’s about the size of Sonic and Knuckles, but probably takes longer to beat (stages I feel are a bit longer..though that had some long stages too) - that’s not horrible, with spoilering anything, there is maybe a little more to it than that in scope but not much. 

And that’s…fine, I’m fine with that for this game, but if that’s what they want to offer they should be pricing it at $30 I feel. I don’t feel that the classic Sonic experience has enough content to be a $60 game in 2023. Sega knows that’s what it’s worth too, they released Sonic Mania at an appropriate price point. And pixel art is expensive these days. Idk, I guess I’m just afraid it will hurt its sales. 

The problem here if there is one, is if they spent a lot of dev time on that multiplayer. It’s like maybe ok, but I hope it didn’t take too many resources that could have been used to just create more single player content to beef it up to what feels like a modern full sized release. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I actually enjoyed them. Frontiers was excellent and I have fond memories with it. 

This just objectively plays so much better. I like the 3D cyber stages still because there’s nothing quite like them, but the 2D ones aren’t needed if they keep making ones like this.

Reception from fans seems good judging by the resetera thread. I just hope a bunch of casual people don’t buy it for the multiplayer and end up disappointed. It’s very much like in the 360 era where every game needed multiplayer and you’d get weird stuff like Dead Space having a multiplayer mode or whatever.

People who go in and just want a new installment in the classic Sonic series with all new zones, are going to generally be pretty pleased here.

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I won't get the dlc. Are they making a new one? 

The dlc is free so it’s just included in the latest update, so you kinda DID get the dlc so there. There’s been no announcement but it’s pretty much assumed that is indeed what Sonic Team is doing at the moment (apart from supervising this game)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, stepee said:

Fans of anxiety will be happy to know there is a Sonic 1 style water stage, with THAT music back as well, and don’t worry there is a two stage underwater boss fight to end it!

(it’s not as bad as it sounds, really!)

Haha. Sonic under water with that music playing is pure panic mode for me. Especially when Sonic drowns...it's 😥 

If anyone plays else plays this I recommend turning off depth of field (provided the version you play has the option to do so) as what it seems to do is erase he entire back layer which is..not good..in a side scroller. I forget if it was on by default or not but it really shouldn’t be.

I got the credits. There’s some more stuff to do but yeah this was really great if too brief. Sonic fans will be happy it exists. It will be a game I play here and there in the future like my other favorite Sonic games, kudos to the team. Sonic is definitely in the best place it’s been in decades with both side scrolling and 3D entries on solid footing. More budget Sega morrrrre.

• Halal 1