Ignore this post, I'm just waffling.

Fizzzzle

So, financially, I've been on some wild rides in my life. When I was a little kid, my dad was making like $200k/year (in 90's money). My mom didn't work, we had a vacation house in central Oregon, things were pretty cushy. Back then, the idea was that dad or my grandma would pay for college for me and my brother. Spoiler alert: that didn't happen.

My parents split up, my dad got laid off and couldn't find another job in the tech industry because he was a dinosaur, my mom chased get rich quick schemes pretty much until she died, and I was left with essentially no support by the time I was college-age. I was just a young boy with no resources thrust out into the world.

My older brother even almost completed his degree in public health before it got sprung on him that he had to complete an unpaid internship, which made him go "who the fuck can afford to work a full time job for 6 months and not get paid for it?!" and he dropped out.

So I started working manual labor. It's all I've ever done and I wouldn't even know where to start getting any other kind of work. My body is starting to break down, but it is what it is.

Enter: my younger brother. He's my half brother. One of probably many bastard sons my dad had because he was a lecherous little asshole who hated condoms. But my little brother is the only one he recognised, at least.

My little brother's mom comes from old New England money. Like, her family wouldn't even blink at renting a venue for a BBQ that costs $10000/day. She went to the best schools, she has a grad degree, unless she commits a felony, there's literally nothing that could harm this woman.

She raised my little brother. My little brother grew up in Italy. My little brother has had everything I never did or only had for a minute.

My little brother goes to school at the university of Edinburgh.

My little brother is studying abroad next year in Berkeley.

I'M SO FUCKING PROUD OF HIM. i can't even express it. Yes, he has opportunities I never would have had in a million years, yes he's privileged like a motherfucker, but he's taking advantage of them in a way that makes me so goddamn proud.

I remember coaching him through his homework when he was in 3rd grade. I just love that he will be better than me. And I will be there every fucking step of the way. Because he has so many opportunities I never had, I will do my damnedest to make sure he doesn't waste them. I will be the support that I never had. He deserves it because he's a boss.

• Hugs 4