Playing on the Skidsteer: my construction journal as I build a house for my in-laws

IMG-6526

I realllly enjoy driving these things around, moving dirt. We had to dig out a couple of trash trees that were in the way. Just a lot of fun.

Probably less so for those who have to do it every day, but I get to run them a couple times a year.

This project is fun also because it’s for my wife’s sister and her family, and it is right next door to me. We are building up the pad today and tomorrow, then forms, rebar, concrete, etc. Foundation should be done early next week. Probably total build time around 5-6 months.

• 1 month later...

Some pics from the progress 

Forms done and waiting for it to not rainy so we can pour concrete

IMG-6580

Concrete pouring day off to a great start when the third truck rolled off the driveway and into some very soft ground 😂

IMG-6620

Slab is poured and the fellas are finishing

IMG-6624 IMG-6627

Lumber delivered, so framing can begin!

IMG-6687 IMG-6700

Carl Oliver Pilkington, First of His Name, is watching of the lumber pileIMG-6714

Walls are mostly up, and now they are working on squaring everything up and bracing before the ceiling joists start going in

IMG-6718

Right now: Ceiling joists are mostly done, guys are lunch breaking. They will finish the rest of the ceiling joists this afternoon and tomorrow will begin the roof framing.

IMG-6727

Lots of progress this week. Next week we should get the roofing, soffits, windows, and maybe even siding complete. Then it slows down a bit with kinda non-exciting MEP bits like the plumbing rough, electrical rough, and HVAC rough. Then I’ll get my insulator out to spray foam the whole thing nice and tight.

• Guest changed the title to Playing on the Skidsteer: my construction journal as I build a house for my in-laws
1 minute ago, gamer.tv said:

It’s interesting how different US and UK home builds are.

There are also pretty significant regional differences across the US. This style of build is pretty standard in much of the gulf coast.