UK junior doctors go on strike to increase their $17/hr starting wage

striking-nhs-junior-doctors-1-6350208-16
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

Tens of thousands of doctors walked off the job across England on Tuesday, kicking off a four-day strike billed as the most disruptive in the history of the U.K.'s public health service.

They are asking for a 35% raise. Good for them. Though their wages rise fairly quickly once they start, it's still amazingly low for doctors after 10 years:

Year 1: £29,384
Year 1: £34,012
Year 3-4: $40,257
Year 5-7: £51,017
Year: 8-10: £58,398

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

These pay structures are for what we call medical residents in North America.

Sure, but residency is usually a couple of years, not 10 years to get a living wage. 
I realize they don’t get the huge loans (a friend of our in the UK became a lawyer for 23k and was talking about how expensive it was) North American students do, but I’d be looking to get out of the UK and make real money if that were the case.

39 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Sure, but residency is usually a couple of years, not 10 years to get a living wage. 
I realize they don’t get the huge loans (a friend of our in the UK became a lawyer for 23k and was talking about how expensive it was) North American students do, but I’d be looking to get out of the UK and make real money if that were the case.

I was just clarifying that they are what we would call medical residents, not doctors.  The starting salary is not too far off what starting medical residents make in Canada.  (C$50-$60k).

Medical residency takes a lot longer than 2 years in Canada, but I don't know enough about it to do a proper comparison.

49 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Sure, but residency is usually a couple of years

I could be wrong, but I think the average residency in the US system is around 5 years. Some really upper tier specialties can be more in the 7-10 year range. I don't think there are many tracks that are only 2 years.

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I could be wrong, but I think the average residency in the US system is around 5 years. Some really upper tier specialties can be more in the 7-10 year range. I don't think there are many tracks that are only 2 years.

Family medecine is 3.