Please play Radio the Universe on Steam's NextFest.

unogueen

Radio-the-universe_LYG1x5f.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

A look at Radio the Universe.

The demo for Radio the Universe in Steam Next Fest is a genuinely transporting piece of work. I played it, and while I played it, I was somewhere else entirely. Somewhere glitchy and twitchy, inspired by Giger's wet metal insectoid surfaces, sure, but also VHS tapes, dial-up modems, Zelda, and the New York City Subway. It's a surprisingly generous demo and for a large part of it I was afraid I was lost. I never doubted, though, that I was well cared for. This game is going to be very special.

I played a hooded figure, short and surprisingly weighty, and at first I was just exploring sepia-tinged corridors, heading from one screen to the next, checking out the ornate, horrible architecture and revelling in the sense of loneliness. A swarm of static introduced me to the run button - without running I would be swept away - and a few rooms later combat came into play, a light and heavy melee, then a dodge, then a sort of shotgun blast that needed time to recharge. Enemies themselves, well... Beetles? Ferrero Rocher? Nasty things that zapped as they waddled and then stopped for me to attack them.

Combat has multitudes here, which is to say you can defeat the enemies but still mess things up quite badly. This is because enemies will only grant XP when they die if you hit them with exactly as much life as they had in them - if you reduce them to a neat 0XP, no over-kill. It adds a layer of what I'd call resource panic, or opportunity-cost panic to the simple business of staying alive. I want to kill you, but I also want to reap the reward. This is particularly true of the demo's bosses, one of which, involving chains, was one of the more creative things I've faced in a game for a while. I wanted to get rid of it before it got rid of me, but I also wanted to get paid for it, as it were.

Radio-Universe-Preview.jpg
NOISYPIXEL.NET

Games can take a long time to develop, and the years of development take their toll. Radio the Universe, originally Kickstarted in 2012, is indicative of this

Games can take a long time to develop, and the years of development take their toll. Radio the Universe, originally Kickstarted in 2012, is indicative of this elusiveness, though not just concerning the length of development time. Instead, it presents a top-down adventure blending action, platforming, and puzzle-solving within a cryptic and mysterious world.

Radio the Universe does not present a lengthy introduction to the world, as the player will be dropped straight into gameplay a minute in. It starts the player with a standard kit, as you begin your adventure with a sword and a dash. Your sword is your primary source of damage output, and the player will use their dashing ability to traverse the environment and avoid enemies.

While the gameplay itself is standard, where Radio the Universe truly shines is in its presentation. From the opening cutscene and the world’s atmosphere alone, the tone of the world sets itself well. The animation and pixel art are gray and dim, depicting a slightly surreal and foreboding world.

The art, sound design, music, and UI all culminate into a dark, mesmerizing world that draws the player into perpetual curiosity. Despite the dimness, small implementations of a neon-bright computer interface and various other digital effects add a layer of digitization to its decrepit world. While there is a hint of familiarity, an underlying mystery remains regarding accessible computers and how they operate

Radio-the-Universe-Preview.jpg
WWW.KEENGAMER.COM

Slick, sci-fi action-RPG Radio the Universe looks about ready to burst onto the indie scene, all cybernetic enhancements and techno gothic dystopia. With a playable demo now available, have a read of this preview to find out whether there's real soul behind the visual flare.

How the heck do you make a tiny, extremely pixelly protagonist feel both inhumanly heavy and yet powerfully agile at the same time? The age old question. Sort of. In any case, just ask the somewhat mysterious one-person army behind upcoming action-RPG Radio the Universe, 6E6E6E, because they clearly have the answer. The short demo of their debut release showcases some mighty slick, SNES-styled sci-fi environments that, combined with cohesive and thoughtful sound design, manage to evoke really quite a palpable atmosphere.

If you’re anything like me, you’ll do a right swoon when you look through the screenshots. And then feel immediately vulnerable. We’ve all fallen too hard for charming graphics and been hurt by lack of substance before. But fear not! There’s depth to Radio the Universe, and it pays attention to the little things. So have a carefree watch of the announcement trailer and then find the full preview below.

It’s hard to make definitive statements about Radio the Universe’s plot from the demo alone, wrapping up as it does after only about an hour. Still, here’re the facts so far. Cyborg (android?) wakes from a dream. Not one of electric sheep, but seemingly of a human girl (her former self?) wading until fully submerged into a glistening, pixel-art ocean. Some distinctly horror-inspired instrumentals accompany this sequence, so presumably we’re not witnessing a nice little frolic in the surf on a beach-side vaycay here. I won’t lie, I got goosebumps.

And that’s it for exposition! The game fires up proper and it’s straight into the environmental storytelling, which is pretty light on tangible narrative but sets an enthralling backdrop full of cyber-gothic architecture and a sprawling, fallen megacity. A neglected phone terminal in the dimly-lit far corner of one hallway reports a wait time of “four billion, two hundred and ninety four million, nine hundred and sixty seven thousand, two hundred and ninety six minutes” to access the network. Sweet little crumbs of story, then. And while some folks prefer to sink their teeth into meatier chunks of traditional narrative, Radio the Universe is perfectly suited to more understated offerings.

RadioTheUniverse_Lead_020923.jpg?fit=120
WWW.DESTRUCTOID.COM

It’s been a very long time coming I’m not sure when Radio the Universe first caught my attention, but it didn’t...

Structurally, Radio the Universe isn’t breaking any new ground, at least not in this demo. It’s a top-down adventure game where you swing a big sword or shoot a gun at your enemies and, on occasion, at the environment. If you’ve ever played a 2D Zelda game, you know what to expect out of this one, give or take a dodge roll and a pistol. But crucially, the game iterates on all these ideas very intelligently.

Take, for example, the map. The map in the Radio the Universe demo is a pretty typical spoke-and-wheel affair, where new gear will sometimes open up new paths. The only real difference between this map and a million other top-down game maps is verticality, but that becomes a vital difference. The dodge button doubles as a jump button in regular navigation, which means that navigating single screens usually means finding a way over a wall, clearing paths, and creating new platforms to hop across. This doesn’t revolutionize top-down traversal, but it does feel just a bit more engaging than usual.

One other way Radio the Universe sets itself apart is in its progression system. Instead of traditional experience, Radio the Universe has cells, which you use to buy new skills and upgrades. Cells can be found all over the map in little boxes, but the most reliable way to get them is to loot them off of enemies. Enemies won’t drop cells if you simply kill them, though—you need to whittle their HP down to exactly zero.

That lends a uniquely tactical bent to combat. You can just wipe out enemies by tapping the attack button, but if you want to make meaningful progress, you need to carefully consider which attacks you’re using and when you’re using them. Your standard attack deals two damage per hit, but a charged attack will deal three, so some enemies will demand that you weave it into your move set if you want their precious cells. Radio the Universe builds that concept out in some really compelling ways. If the finishing blow is a dash-attack, for example, the enemy will always drop cells, so if you can run the numbers quickly enough, you can guarantee a clean finish in every encounter. One gun deals damage over time, so if you’re not feeling especially math-y, you can turn every fight into a war of attrition, where all your focus is on avoiding blows.