Valve just experienced the biggest leak of its in-game assets for HL2/TF2/Portal ever...and just doesn't seem to really give a damn

Commissar SFLUFAN

Valve has suffered the biggest asset leak in the company's history, after a series of asset repositories for its games from 2016 were released online. The games are Portal, Counter Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half Life 2: Episodes 1 & 2, Half-Life 2 multiplayer, and Team Fortress 2.

The leaks seem to originate from an account that calls themselves WandererLeaker, and to have been disseminated initially through Discord. In Discord chat the leaker wrote(opens in new tab): "I don't care anymore. I also did my toying around with it for a few years, did not upload because I was threatened every time [...] A real shame. I have no legal binding to these files. Not anymore". They would later add "I have held onto these files since 2016".

The leaks are in the form of asset repositories, which is typically how a game's files would be bundled-up to share with an external partner. The biggest leak in terms of sheer scale is Team Fortress 2, and diving into that one will give you an idea of what there is to be unearthed here. The short version is that it's a 61GB package of almost every asset that the game's had.

Valve's apparent reaction: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯